News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

LW Thunderbike?

Started by Gino230, December 07, 2010, 08:33:20 PM

Gino230

What is it? it's supposedly a new class but not in the mailer?

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MACOP1104

it says ultralightweight thunderbike.  maybe excludes the air cooled 1000s like ULWSB?

racer880

I think that was a typo. I think they were refering to the 2 classes. Although if it is a new class....cool!

NJ MiniGP

Nope...definitely a new class for the 250 Ninja.  Should be ridiculous fun on the super cheap.

Ducmarc

What?  A class without SV's. I'm sure there will be a destroke claus.

MACOP1104

someone will take a yz250F, do a supersingle conversion in it and spank those Ninja 250s

roadracer162

It would be nice to have another sportsman class but then again the grids aren't big enough to begin with.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

Quote from: majicMARKer on December 15, 2010, 07:15:15 PM
It would be nice to have another sportsman class but then again the grids aren't big enough to begin with.

Doesn't matter if they make it a 2nd wave of an existing race.  It's just another couple of bikes on the grid.  They can have thunderbike, sportsman, and lightweight thunderbike all on the grid together. 

roadracer162

Shoot, bringing back the CCS Florida Vintage Series had more of a grid than thunderbike. Marc Miller even had money for the top three finishers.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MAZZ77X

Quote from: Gino230 on December 07, 2010, 08:33:20 PM
What is it? it's supposedly a new class but not in the mailer?

I believe "Ultralight Thunder Bike" is designed around the Ninja 250 Spec racing.

roadracer162

I wish they would let my fzr400 in
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Ducmarc

Who's going to go out and buy a ninja 250 for one race, for all you shnit talkers I wanna see them on the grid . If you did any spec class it should be sv 650 and kawa 650 oh wait that was ultralight. As far as I can remember spec classes only last a year or two. Just change lightweight to what you all want anyway no ducatis no bimotas or change it to no italian no exotic no nutten unless its made in china and ebays out with a clean title for 28 bucks

MACOP1104

Quote from: Ducmarc on December 19, 2010, 06:53:17 PM
Who's going to go out and buy a ninja 250 for one race, for all you shnit talkers I wanna see them on the grid . If you did any spec class it should be sv 650 and kawa 650 oh wait that was ultralight. As far as I can remember spec classes only last a year or two. Just change lightweight to what you all want anyway no ducatis no bimotas or change it to no italian no exotic no nutten unless its made in china and ebays out with a clean title for 28 bucks
WERA hasn't had a lot of success with their E superstock (Ninja250) class.  I agree with what you're saying, too narrow of a field.  But, if they run it with an existing class it doesn't take up track time and it's more entries.
As far as your other comment, I have no problem with a Duc 800 or a supersport prepped Duc 1000 but the Bimota needs to be indexed out of ltwtss and ltwt SBK.  They can run thunderbike, ltwtGP, GT lights

roadracer162

Marc the Kawi and SV are Japanese. The Chinese stuff just wouldn't be allowed(Fischer).
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

scubabill

Quote from: majicMARKer on December 19, 2010, 09:39:47 PM
Marc the Kawi and SV are Japanese. The Chinese stuff just wouldn't be allowed(Fischer).

That would fall under the Bimota "You actually have to be able to buy one" clause.

roadracer162

You can. Fischer even has a race program to help support the club racer.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Ducmarc

You sure you guys haven't bought them too markie lol. Sorry my wife says I'm in rare for tonight whatever that means how about go with advertized weight amd hp that's what nhra does and the bikes are so well tuned from the factroy you would be hard pressed to find a sleeper

roadracer162

Not me. I go for the old bikes, trying to resurrect the FZR.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

PlayHard

Quote from: majicMARKer on December 19, 2010, 10:09:10 PM
Quote from: majicMARKer on December 19, 2010, 10:09:10 PM

Not really, after extensive emailing and phone calls, what they proposed as support wasn't really much support. What it boiled down to is you buy the bike for $6,999 and they give you an extra set of wheels, clip on bars, rearsets, and an extra set of STREET body work (because race body work is not yet available).  Little to no after purchase support.  I would have still went with them, because it was an American built bike and cool concept, if they would have at least sold me motors at cost, being that it is a Chinese motor, but they would not agree to that and thus killed the deal for me.   
CCS / WERA EX #95

roadracer162

At least it was something. I don't think that Suzuki or Ducati does that. At least ot for their LW bikes. But I hear what you say about breaking the deal. How can they expect to compete in popularity if they don't give enough of an incentive.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MACOP1104

Suzuki had a good support program through contingency, but they changed their policy in 2009.  You had to purchase a new bike to claim.  After 2009, they pulled out of ltwt and drastically reduced it for the 4 cyl classes.  I think that put a huge dent in ltwt grids.  Damn economy....

roadracer162

Sooooo...what you are saying is that Fischer currently offers the best program of support. Ducati once did offer contingency for their lightweight bikes. I just never cashed in on it because it was still cheaper to run my FZR600 in Thunderbike and LW F40. Funny thing is I am just as quick if not quicker on my Ducati 800.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MAZZ77X

Look for new riders/racers and youngsters looking to get there feet wet on the big tracks in this class. Where else can a youth buy a bike off the showroom floor and go racing?  ::)
Not just racing, but cheap racing at that.  8) Tires last 3 race weekends, engines last years if left alone, plenty of aftermarket support for suspension and controls. We need this class to bring new racers out to the tracks. :cheers:   Plus it will be a blast for the seasoned racers to battle it out on purely equal equipment that don't produce any power. Rider VS Rider at it's finest.  :pop:

Ducmarc

Maybe you need to put a real tire on the back of that fzr markie

PlayHard

Quote from: majicMARKer on December 22, 2010, 12:32:47 PM
Sooooo...what you are saying is that Fischer currently offers the best program of support. Ducati once did offer contingency for their lightweight bikes. I just never cashed in on it because it was still cheaper to run my FZR600 in Thunderbike and LW F40. Funny thing is I am just as quick if not quicker on my Ducati 800.

That support would end up costing you more money in the long run simply because there are No aftermarket parts for the bike, No used parts for the bike, and of course, the Chinese built motor, which who knows how long that would last.   But as far as initial support, YEAH, your right, none of the other manufactures are offering an extra set of wheels and so on for free......  I really hope the bike works out though.  Its good to see an American based company making a go at it. 
CCS / WERA EX #95

roadracer162

All of this is in speculation. My guess would be to use parts from the SV650 as far as replacement parts. Although it may be a Korean spec bike it does take it's origin from the SV much like the Kazuma four wheeler. Incidentally my buddy used a Honda piston in the Kazuma because that was also a copy/clone of the Honda. The ironic thing is that the Kazuma tech support suggested the Honda piston.

As far as aftermarket parts it does come with the Woodcraft clip-on and rear-set which I favor. Ohlins bits in the suspension give it a leg up on the competition. As far as set-up cost and speaking to my pit partner about his set-up on his stock SV, the cost to set-up the SV was the same as the cost for purchase of the Fischer. What the Fischer doesn't have to start is the race bodywork which any brand used for the SV would work.

I would think the Fischer is much like the Buell. American built, American company and the hope that they will succeed.

I seem to remember a Hyosung entering a race and doing well. Can't remember where and when though. The Fischer of course is really a Hyosung with some cool parts. I am curious as to the frame on the Fischer.

Marc- I never really had a problem with the rear tire on the FZR. I think what would make a bigger impact is losing some weight from the bike, and putting those awesome Brembo brakes that come on the Ducati. I honestly believe that the Ducati front forks coupled with the Brembo brakes are far superior to the '98 R1 forks and brake I have on the FZR. I will put the FZR back together again though and see what I can achieve out of it.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

ChitownNexus

Is this new class starting this year or next season?

If they combined it with LWSS wouldn't their be a pretty good speed differential between a SS SV and a more or less stock Ninja 250R?

roadracer162

It did start just not everywhere. Maybe you could bargain away to get it in your region.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

James Bayles

I've been traveling (from South Florida) to make the E Super Stock WERA races, 18-20 bikes each meeting so far. They have been giving us our own race even! Really close finishes too, more than three positions decided by fractions of a second.  CCS really does need some smaller bore classes, or maybe I'm just too wimpy to chase those fast guys on the LWT twins, my times on a 650R are not even competitive. ( I am making the podium on the 250s)  I could speak for probably 3-4 riders (south east) if we were to get it on a race schedule.  I like to think I'm just being honest with myself, I am  just not capable of riding the snot out of anything over 30 hp, let alone 60 or 100hp (yet), how many of you really are?

roadracer162

James- I am sure if you could get say 15 guys together that would compete in the class, Henry would be glad to put the race in the schedule.

Find the guys with a committment from them and you will have a strong argument to make it happen.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MAZZ77X

The lack of advertising and publicity for this class is shameful.

How the hell does anyone expect a new class to succeed if there is virtually no official press release or announcements made regarding it. I know there are at least 5 guys chomping at the bit to dive in but it seems so unorganized.

I should have my bike together for the next round if I can sell my 600 soon! Really looking forward to this!!!

bruce71198

Does anyone have contact info on Fischer ?  He used to race with us in the MW region back in the 90's. I tried to contact him through the web site, no luck.
I picked up a crashed 08 Ninja 250 , that was for sale in a front yard, just cause it was cheap. If this class comes together ,i'm in !!

roadracer162

How many Ninja 250 riders are on here that would ride the Florida Region??

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Tri74x

I would be in on an old Honda 350. I believe the bike is legal in LWTB, plus- don't have to work on it!

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

CHIRINOM

Hey guys,

I know that I am jumping into this a little late but I recently aquired an 08 250 with intensions of racing up north since they have a class for it. I am located in Miami Florida and would love to see the class offered in the CCS Florida region. I know a few other guys who have also purchased EX250's and a few who are considering it. Henry tells us that he would add the class if there is a sufficient grid.

If the the CCS Ultra Light Weight Thunder bike rules are applied, I think that this would be a very affordable and very competetive class that is long over due. I have raced GP bikes for several years and although I love GP bikes I find it difficult to make it out there due to budget constraints. For instance, I am in need of reeds, a piston, cylinder replating, five gallons of leaded fuel, oil, and a set of tires. The ninja rode an entire track day on one tank of gas and the tires still look new. A Spec SV class like the SV cup would be cool but I think that the Ninja EX250r would really provide the best bang for the buck all around.

If you are interested please see our face book page www.facebook.om/specclassracing

Thanks!

Miguel Chirino
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

Cab305

I'm interested in bringing the 250 series down into Florida. I would definitely participate.

Jiggyfly

<<sigh>>

All of you SV freaks......I used to be one myself.....but let's please not be afraid
to go ahead and have a grid that the mighty SV's actually aren't allowed on!

I specifically bought & built a ninja 250 to race in CCS or WERA, or whatever org I can get track time with.
It's cheap, it's fun, it's super competitive because unlike an SV you really can't spend gobs of money building it.
Supersport SV my ass.....I've witnessed arguably one of the most over the top SV's in the country for years!!!
(think Midwest CCS) $10-12k will build you a nice SS SV. Of course there's used ones to be had, but I can build a Ninja 250 on <$2k, and a set of tires last 3-5 weekends, & hey......guess what?!?!.....it was the most fun I've had racing in 5 years!

ULWTB.....it's a real thing....& it's really fun. WERA, OMRA, CVRA, & other series have seen 20+ bike grids at certain races of all 250 pilots. Don't be afraid to check it out. CCS Midwest should see a grid with over a dozen in 2012.....& hopefully they can convince CCS to throw a GT grid of only 250's on the back of another grid. Maybe do a reverse 2 wave start, where the 250's start first..... :biggrin:
JK

MAZZ77X

I put together a Ninja 250 this summer and it is by far the most fun bike I have ever ridden. You can ride it all day long at full tilt and smile ear to ear while doing it. $3k will put you on a completely set up bike with a tire budget of $600 all season!

I'll be on the CCS Atlantic grid in 2012 for sure!!! :thumb: