News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Formula 40 Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 820cc limitation

Started by ChimChim, November 18, 2010, 06:33:28 AM

ChimChim

Hello,
I'm new to the site so I apologize if this horse has been beaten to death.  I'm interested in getting into racing this year and thought I would try the formula 40 Amateur class.  I read the rules and found "Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 820cc" as a limitation for displacement.  Since there are very few selections for a 750cc machine (Unless you go with a twin) and there is already a lightweight category, has there been any thought of revising this to allow litre bikes to compete?  
From everything I've seen at the races and comparing CCS to WERA I would prefer to race CCS but I don't want to buy another bike.  I know there are other races, GTO, superstock...but I figured that F40 would be a bit more appropriate.  No flaming please...just a question  8)

Super Dave

Well, you know twins have a different displacement limit?

And then most of the 600's are very competitive in the class too.  That has historically been the displacement that has had the greatest number of entries in the class.  1000/4's are more common now, but they aren't like the 600's.  And it seems that the threat of 1000/4's would have most riders on 600's deciding that they didn't want to race in the class. 

Yeah, the topic has been beaten to death on this forum.  A search might pull some of those up. 

So, why do you figure that F40 is more appropriate? 
Super Dave

ChimChim

Thanks for the Info Super Dave.   The reason I thought that F40 might be a bit more appropriate is because of the mindset of a 40 year old vs a 20/30 something.  Having a family, a career, and responsibilities you might be less inclined to do sketchy things on the track.  Also the years of riding experience might be greater.  I'm just speculating here.  Not to mention I'm 43 :)
I've never ridden a bike smaller than a 1000 in 19 years of riding.  Weighing 215, I think I would be at somewhat of a disadvantage.  Besides I really don't want to buy a new bike

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

ChimChim

I've seen a few.  My point is that no one other than suzuki is currently making 750cc and I have quite a bit invested in my litre bike and really enjoy riding it.  I would rather use my funds to pay for race weekends than buy another bike. 

smoke54

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

Super Dave

Noidly1

Quote from: Super Dave on November 20, 2010, 05:42:35 PM
Yeah!  A lot of guys on 600's even race in unlimited. 
+1 Dave; and a couple have won!  :thumb:

There are a lot of really fast guys in F40.
I'd go ahead and run in unlimited.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

ahastings

In the am ranks bike size isn't as much of big deal as the experts. The f40 class is mostly 600s so allowing 1000s would tend to discourage more guys from running it then it would increase the number of entries by allowing more bikes . It's all about maximizing the number of entries in the class .
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

SnacktimeKC

Quote from: ahastings on November 22, 2010, 09:54:04 AM
In the am ranks bike size isn't as much of big deal as the experts. The f40 class is mostly 600s so allowing 1000s would tend to discourage more guys from running it then it would increase the number of entries by allowing more bikes . It's all about maximizing the number of entries in the class .
Ding, winner. If anything the class you be under middleweight superbike rules.