T17, VIR, Water?

Started by rpsez, April 18, 2003, 07:07:39 PM

rpsez

Hadn't seen much discussion on the issue of water bubbling up from under VIR here on the board. I do know that it was a good lesson trying to dodge the puddles in T17... a lesson that I'd rather not repeat.

I had an onboard video camera on Rick Crowley's bike ('The Hooter's Guy') during the Formula40 race when he almost crashed in T17. (He won the race...)

The video clip plays twice with the second time around being slowed by 1/2. (Be sure to check out the black line that his rear tire leaves as it looses traction...)

Enjoy,
Rick

http://www.ftb-racing.com/mpegs/crowleyformula40t17.mpg

GAMEDIC

post the whole vid if you have it ...i would like to see it

rpsez

Quotepost the whole vid if you have it ...i would like to see it

//www.rollingchicane.com/mpegs/Formula40VIRCrowley.mpg

It's 168 megs... and it's coming off of my cable modem... so it'll take a while to DL...

R

bfkidd

I did the same thing 4 times on Friday. I finally decided to avoid that area after the 4th time. Ok, it took a while.

Obviously there is that one spot that starts before anything. On Sunday, when it started apearing, we were all going to the inside of it, causing us to come out of the turn later than normal. It was OK because everyone was forced to do it and it really didn't cause any major problems. Just a worse drive onto the front straight.

The video would be shorter if he went faster. :P

GAMEDIC

thanks..i'll check it out....

bmfgsxr

im dl'ing it now. thanks for that. fortunately the water wasnt really a problem in my races that weekend.  but it will be cool to have the onboard video.

Speed_Shifter

QuoteHadn't seen much discussion on the issue of water bubbling up from under VIR here on the board. I do know that it was a good lesson trying to dodge the puddles in T17... a lesson that I'd rather not repeat.

I had an onboard video camera on Rick Crowley's bike ('The Hooter's Guy') during the Formula40 race when he almost crashed in T17. (He won the race...)

The video clip plays twice with the second time around being slowed by 1/2. (Be sure to check out the black line that his rear tire leaves as it looses traction...)

Enjoy,
Rick

http://www.ftb-racing.com/mpegs/crowleyformula40t17.mpg

Wow, that would have scared the crap out of me!
Great quality on the video.  I was thinking about doing an onboard camera setup on my bike.  What camera/setup/mounting system are you using?  Any info you could give me about an onboard camera would be great.  Thanks!

bmfgsxr

from the looks and sound of it he must have been on a 1k???

rpsez

Quotefrom the looks and sound of it he must have been on a 1k???

LoL... nope. I'm pretty sure that it was a 750 that D i c k at Full Spectrum Racing had his hands on...

R

rpsez

QuoteWow, that would have scared the crap out of me!
Great quality on the video.  I was thinking about doing an onboard camera setup on my bike.  What camera/setup/mounting system are you using?  Any info you could give me about an onboard camera would be great.  Thanks!

Funny you should ask... I just wrote up a 'quick and dirty' on how to do an onboard setup. (Hope you're handy with a soldering iron!!)

//www.ftb-racing.com/onboardcamera.htm

R

bmfgsxr

QuoteLoL... nope. I'm pretty sure that it was a 750 that D i c k at Full Spectrum Racing had his hands on...

R

yeah, i just found out it was a 750. but damn that thing pulled. i wonder if it was stock???  ::)

Speed_Shifter

QuoteFunny you should ask... I just wrote up a 'quick and dirty' on how to do an onboard setup. (Hope you're handy with a soldering iron!!)

//www.ftb-racing.com/onboardcamera.htm

R

Thanks, great write up!  No problem with the soldering either.  How and where do you mount the camcorder and the camera?  Does the engine vibration effect the picture from the lipstick cam? Do you use a special mounting for the lipstick cam that helps reduce vibration or isn't that something I should worry about?  

rpsez

QuoteThanks, great write up!  No problem with the soldering either.  How and where do you mount the camcorder and the camera?  Does the engine vibration effect the picture from the lipstick cam? Do you use a special mounting for the lipstick cam that helps reduce vibration or isn't that something I should worry about?  

Don't worry about the mounting of the lipstick cam. I've mounted it to the side of the upper fairing with velcro and zipties (//www.rollingchicane.com/mpegs/frontstraight.mpg (that's my fairing on the left of the picture.)) and where the Crowley video shows. It really handles the vibration remarkably well. Here's a pic of the mounting point for the 'rearward' view. As you can see it's a really high tech device (read: it's a friggin' chunk of metal that's got velcro stuck to it, and a hole drilled in it).

R

JoeB

yeah, i just found out it was a 750. but damn that thing pulled. i wonder if it was stock???  ::)[/quote]

I don't think Rick races with a stock motorcycle. Ask him why he doesn't race that bike in the superstock classes. :o

Speed_Shifter

QuoteDon't worry about the mounting of the lipstick cam. I've mounted it to the side of the upper fairing with velcro and zipties (//www.rollingchicane.com/mpegs/frontstraight.mpg (that's my fairing on the left of the picture.)) and where the Crowley video shows. It really handles the vibration remarkably well. Here's a pic of the mounting point for the 'rearward' view. As you can see it's a really high tech device (read: it's a friggin' chunk of metal that's got velcro stuck to it, and a hole drilled in it).

Okay, I think I'm good on the lipstick cam mounting.  What about the camcorder?  Do you mount it under the seat or somewhere in the subframe?  Do you protect the camcorder in any special way?  Thanks for all the info.  Hopefully I'll have a setup complete in a month or so.

tbb10785

Here's an earlier thread on the same topic.  BTW, great video and I got to see I was right about 1-2 feet from the edge of the track.

http://www.racemotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=ccs1;action=display;num=1049975584;start=0

fzr400tony

we were pitted next to him on that weekend.  that poor guy had of hell of a weekend.  i can't believe with everything he went through he could do that well.