CCS Southeast

Started by NextLevelMotorsports, October 20, 2010, 08:02:40 PM

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Gixxerblade on October 25, 2010, 09:01:00 PM
...and don't crash. That royally screwed me this year with all those DNF's. 4 crashes turned into 6 or 7 DNF's. :(

figured the "consistant" thing kinda covered that but you are correct.. LOL..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

twilkinson3

Hey GSXR - might want to submit that as a thought for a rule change...at least to me what you said makes sense

Gixxerblade

Quote from: twilkinson3 on October 26, 2010, 10:07:32 AM
Hey GSXR - might want to submit that as a thought for a rule change...at least to me what you said makes sense
works for me!

MELK-MAN

some things i don't like about the way the champinship is run, is the double points at the end. You can have riders show up, run lots of races and close the gap REAL fast. Yes, you do need to be fairly fast and consistant to make it work, but it just turns into a "who can spend more money" deal way to often. it is the way it is, and im hardly the fastest rider out there so im not barking up that tree, but it does blow when you attend every race in a series, do more races than most, but still loose out when riders show up (faster than you or otherwise) but enter 14 races on a double point weekend. YOu literally only have to do about 1/2 the weekends in a series with that approach if you can win lots of races. there should be more incentive to make all the rounds, vs. being able to smoke the field at the end with a marathon run of 14 races earning a huge pile of points.

Also, Mike touched on the class PI affecting your overall PI. CCS may want to look into being able to "throw out" your lowest class PI, have your "top 5 class performance indexes" count to the overall, or something like that.
When chasing a top # plate, riders will not do some races they might like to (like unlimited GP/SHootout) at your favorite track as there is the possiblilty of finishing mid pack or worse. that PI gets factored in just as heavily as the class PI of your other events you do all year.

In NO way am i trying to take away from what other racers have done this year or in years past, it was all within the rules. The couple of riders that may take this wrong i am good friends with and know im not a cry baby. I do like discussion, and if there is a "better way" of doing things ? It is a bit tough to swallow seeing the rules taken advantage of at years end after a FULL SEASON of work has been paid for and ran.. only to see it slip away. I mean the MA rider had a 900 pi, with a big gap for the #1 plate there, only to have it slip away. Without another bike, he had no way to even compete in other classes (lt wt bike in a 600 or 1000 class just ain't gonna cut it at VIR).. And saying a lt wt bike shouldn't have a #1 plate is b.s. He did all the rounds, scored better than everyone up to then in his region, etc. He deserved it as much as anyone else.

I propose do AWAY with double points at the final round, and/or limit the # of classes that count toward an overall championship # plate. You could race as many classes as you want for tire money, contingency, class championship, but only a certain number of classes can count to the OVERALL. Especially in these tighter economic times.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

NextLevelMotorsports

Hmmm..

Thats amazingly complicated.  And here I thought it was whoever earned the most points got the plate.  That PI thing is a little funky.  Whats the point?  What not just use the sum total of points?

If I was racing in WERA I would be thinking championships, but alot of my better tracks aren't on the CCS schedule.  I've never ran Daytona or VIR, not real fond of Roebling, I like CMP but I've only been there 1x.  And there's no way I'm going to beat you FL boys at Jennings.   But I'll get over it and hopefully be able to put down some decent laps and get on the box.

Guess I'll just enter a ton of races and let the cards fall where they may.
Southeast Conti Tire Guy
Triple XXX Race Fuel

GSXR RACER MIKE

The P/I calculation was an attempt to stop people from 'buying' a Top 10 plate by entering a bunch of classes throughout the year or for those who weren't front runners getting Top 10 plates by simply showing up to every event.

I'm a great example of why the P/I was added, 2/3rds of the way thru the 2003 season I was looking at a #5 plate in the overall championship in 3 separate regions- yet I was always finishing at the back of the Experts. By doing nothing more than going to every event in the Midwest, Great Plains, & former Great Lakes regions, and running the same 4 classes at all those events, I was leading 9 of the 12 class championships I was following. Had I continued doing what I was doing I most likely would have won all 12 championships (4 classes in 3 regions) and possibly received a #4 or #3 plate - If I had been entering 6 classes all season instead of 4, I probably would have been looking at a #1 plate due to my consistency (even though I was finishing at the back of the pack).

There were numerous racers who felt I was wrong for doing this, but I didn't feel that I deserved the class championships or the Top 10 plate so I intentionally didn't race the last 3 events of that season so everyone else could catch up and take over the 9 points championships I was leading and work my way out of the Top 10 championship as well. I was successful in achieving my goal, but barely in some classes because I was so far ahead, I also was barely outside of a Top 10 plate as well. Back then the points were higher for a win (about twice what they are now) and still paid pretty good for 10th or 15th. My leading all those championships wasn't my goal, I was just racing to have some fun. But because I was so consistent (and followed the same 4 classes all season) I ended up leading because the faster racers in those classes either didn't go to every event or they ended up crashing and missing out on points.

Adding the P/I calculation was supposed to help out the faster racers by rewarding them heavily for a good finish to offset any crashes or event(s) they couldn't participate in. Unfortunately the way the P/I calculation was set-up it ended up backfiring in achieving the desired result because (as I described before) it actually takes away points you've already earned in previous races. I personally don't like this type of P/I calculation because it's not based on actual competition you encountered during your race, it's purely about the number of racers in the race. BUT....If something like this needs to be used to try and keep the fastest racers leading the points then I think the P/I calculation should be applied to each individual race you run and not be an average that drags down your good finishes - that would be far more accurate in keeping the fast guys leading the points championships.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Gixxerblade

weggieman

Why is any performance index needed? Why not use a straight points  awarding system like most orgs do? 

Pretty simple system and it works well.

apriliaman

I'm in 5 lightweight races a weekend and they all count for overall points.The most in a race usally gt lights is 13-18,other ones usally 5-9.I go to every round and finish all the races.Ive been a top ten plate in 2 regions since 2006.I dont win many races.Sometimes i got 5th out of 5 bikes and dont get much points there.In mid atlantic I got 4th overall from my index.If it was just points,like 5 years ago I would have been #1!!!!!!
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

SVbadguy

I think not counting the class with the lowest PI would be a good thing.  A fews years back I did a single ultralight race on my DR650 just for the fun it.  Of course I finished last of all and that low PI had a major effect on my overall points.  I believe it amounted to a difference of two positions in the final overall points.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: SVbadguy on October 26, 2010, 08:37:31 PM
I think not counting the class with the lowest PI would be a good thing.  A fews years back I did a single ultralight race on my DR650 just for the fun it.  Of course I finished last of all and that low PI had a major effect on my overall points.  I believe it amounted to a difference of two positions in the final overall points.

The way I described using P/I on each individual class you race would eliminate that problem, no matter how many bad finishes you have in a season it wouldn't count AGAINST you in the overall Top 10 Championship. This would allow people to run classes they may even know ahead of time they wouldn't do good in but just wanted to run because it's at their favorite track or they just wanted extra seat time on a different bike for example. I personally think it would also encourage people to run more classes because they wouldn't be risking damage to the points they already earned, even if you didn't score any points in those extra classes it wouldn't hurt your overall points - a win / win situation for racers and CCS.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

f3racer

Quote from: JimCohrs on October 21, 2010, 09:17:19 AM
You will love SE GA.  I live just north of ATL - we have VIR (5 hrs), Barber (2hrs), CMP (3hrs), Roebling (4hrs), Road Atlanta (30min), Jennings (4hrs), Tally (2hrs)  Living in SE GA you may be able to run both the SE and FL events.  We had a fun year this year.  Good luck in your move!

Jim
600's

thanks. i actually am from florida and lived in Savannah area for around 8 yrs. so it will be like being home again.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823