News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

vp racing fuels

Started by f3racer, September 09, 2010, 09:15:29 PM

f3racer

what fuel do you use and why? does the fuel you use require tuning to run? obviously tuning the bike properly makes a big difference but does your fuel require it?
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

roadracer162

Why do you want to spend more money?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

f3racer

i dont necessarily, but there is a new vp distributor here where i live and we have been talking about a possible sponsorship type deal. he is talking about selling me vp110 for 3.00 per gallon. thats only a few cents more per gallon than 93 pump gas. if it gives me a little edge than i will use it. if not then i might try to work for another fuel type. 

1.10 GASOLINE - A petroleum fuel available through normal commercial channels.
1.10.1 All gasoline must remain as produced without additives except as
specified by these rules. Allowable gasolines are those whose
characteristics meet the following standards:
A. Specific gravity must range between .695-.775 at 60 degrees F.
B. Dielectric constant of a competitors fuel sample must read within
+/- 0.4 of a baseline sample provided by the commercial fuel
manufacturer on the HDE G-01 Fuel Analyzer. (Meter is calibrated in
cyclohexane.)

this fuel seems to fall within these rules but i've heard that only mr9 and u4.4 is legal.

also just trying to pick the veterans brains.
Will

benprobst

Dont waste your money. The bike will likey make the same or a little less hp on that specific VP fuel. Who is the new dealer?
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Noidly1

Just get the cheapest pump gas at a station that gets the most business. That fuel will be the freshest and will yield the best bang for your buck.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

roadracer162

The VP110 is not necessary for your stock bike and as Ben has eluded to will most likely cause a loss of power. The increased octane of the 110 is mostly for the higher compression motors.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

f3racer

yeah ben and dion have bost answered my question on the mcra forum. the new dealer is energy solutions.
Will

2twenty2

My GSXR600 makes about 5 more hp on MR12 over pump 93.  5gal of MR 12 = $130, pump gas would be about $15 ... so $23 per 1hp.

SV88

You don't run these fuels for more power.  Higher octane rating is equivalent to a slower burn.  You run these fuel to protect high compression engines from detonation (faster burning pump fuels tend to ignite as soon as they are compressed to a certain volume/pressure without the spark making ignition timing moot). 

Now (obviously) higher comp. engines make more power so it's a little bit of trade-off.  If you could run pump gas (without detonating) in high comp. engines, you would make more power than if you ran high octane fuels.

What I cannot figure out is that inline 4s tend to be able to run higher compression ratios (my R6 is around 13:1) than V-twins without having to resort to 100+ octane levels.  An sv with a 13:1 probably needs to run at least 100 octane to not detonate.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

roadracer162

Of course then there is the U4.4 where it offers the best of both worlds. 103 Motor ocatane and oxygenated claiming a 6% increase in power. As for cost effectiveness for power delivered it seems like pour in HP and if compared to an after market exhaust seems feasible. My High comp pistons for the Duc 800 produced 2 hp compared to a potential 4hp gain in the U4.4. I already spend $10/gallon for the Streetblaze just to quench the detonation.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Cowboy 6

Quote from: SV88 on November 18, 2010, 06:25:03 PM
You don't run these fuels for more power.  You don't run these fuels for more power.  Higher octane rating is equivalent to a slower burn.  You run these fuel to protect high compression engines from detonation (faster burning pump fuels tend to ignite as soon as they are compressed to a certain volume/pressure without the spark making ignition timing moot).

Now (obviously) higher comp. engines make more power so it's a little bit of trade-off.  If you could run pump gas (without detonating) in high comp. engines, you would make more power than if you ran high octane fuels.

Maybe you you should have posted "I don't......"  Some of us do.

In fact the fuel mentioned (MR12) in the previous post only has a motor octane of 87. So now what?

The deal is, "these fuels" are indeed used for more power and nothing else.

From VP's website:
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
New! MR12™
VP's best fuel yet for 4-stroke applications that can tolerate lower octane values, makes more power for powersport applications than any fuel on the market. Dyno tests proved up to 5% more power than VP's MR9 and up to 6% more power than VP's MRX01! Although currently not legal in AMA Pro Racing, MR12 passes fuel rules for AMA Pro/Am, CCS, WERA, AFM, NMA, WORCS, SCORE and Best in the Desert as well as club level racing and more.

TYPICAL VALUES
•   Color: Light Green
•   Motor Octane: 87
•   Specific Gravity: .733 at 60°
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

roadracer162

I think the reference for higher octane was for the VP110 for high compression motors. Yes the MR12 is used primarily for more hp but it plays havoc on the high compression Ducs promptly placing a hole in those $800 pistons.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

SV88

MR9 and MR12 are different animals.  A very narrow distribution of 9/12 chain hydrocarbons.  These fuels are more oxiginated (thena the wider distribution conventional fuels) which is why you generally make more power, so in effect you are running leaner.  Since they are more refined/distilled, they cost quite a bit more.  The market is very narrow so supply and demand economics come into play.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

tzracer

Quote from: SV88 on November 18, 2010, 06:25:03 PM
What I cannot figure out is that inline 4s tend to be able to run higher compression ratios (my R6 is around 13:1) than V-twins without having to resort to 100+ octane levels.  An sv with a 13:1 probably needs to run at least 100 octane to not detonate.

It has to do with piston diameter. The larger the diameter, the longer the path for the flame, the greater the chance for detonation.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Burt Munro

Quote from: tzracer on November 23, 2010, 11:58:57 AM
It has to do with piston diameter. The larger the diameter, the longer the path for the flame, the greater the chance for detonation.
You talk like you're some kind of Physics Professor or something!   :kicknuts:   :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!