A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Knightslugger

I agree. Rent-to-Own would take 2 - 2.5 years to accomplish for most of us. better to just skip a weekend for the first year.

The system they'd buy is about $7000. if they doubled that price to spend $14,000 and whatever extra went to transponders... even at a 10% discount it would only get them 17 units...

OR

Have CCS buy a crap load of them, get a bulk discount, and sell them at the event or online. might even turn a profit from it. although, it would take considerable overhead to do so. might not work out.

George_Linhart

Quote from: Knightslugger on September 16, 2010, 12:29:31 PM
George, i'm guessing if he holes his radiator, he'll be out for a weekend, .

That is not what he said.  His statement that there is always a trackday for him somewhere implies that that if he has to buy a transponder he is done racing.

That is fine with me.  I just want clarity so that we don't have to assume what is driving his comment.  It doesn't matter to me.  In my eyes it is just another part I need to race.  Be it new tires, suspension work, a new helmet or a transponder - it is up to me to determine what time and money I can afford to spend racing and allocate these resources accordingly.

George

Knightslugger

well, it's just what he feels is important to him. some of us do it for enjoyment, some do it for the fun of competition, some do it as a business.

hell, even i can understand the value difference between doing laps with a Digital Transponder or with a GPS Lap Timer if you're doing this leisurely.

mx558

Most track day guys are not going to even try racing racing if you can't rent one as they balk at the price of getting their license. The mx guys I ride with won't even consider this sport because of the cost as mx is about 1/10th the cost. Racing is addictive so you have to figure out a way to get them in the door first. I think lower entry fees are a better way to get people involved. Its like selling raffle tickets its a lot easier to sell 10 tickets at $10 than one at $100. I do agree if $420 will keep you out than you should not be racing in the first place but if it doesn't make fees go down I still don't see the advantage of having one. I could give a shit about seeing my times on a web site.   

Super Dave

Quote from: Knightslugger on September 16, 2010, 04:31:12 PM\
hell, even i can understand the value difference between doing laps with a Digital Transponder or with a GPS Lap Timer if you're doing this leisurely.
I can help.

One is for scoring.  The other is not.  One will give you specific data point information.  The other is for scoring. 

For racing, you need a license.  Don't need one for a leisurely track day.  Most organizations already require the transmitter.  Didn't Trackaddix use the AMB transmitters?  Can't remember, but I believe so...And a $50 rental fee was required to use it to race, or it was optional for their track days if you wanted to get some lap times.

In fact, looks like they still use them...
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1687388
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: mx558 on September 16, 2010, 06:17:32 PMI think lower entry fees are a better way to get people involved.
Is it?

When CCS used to offer all the races you could race for $200 back in the dark ages, few people ever did it.  When racing was cheaper some time ago, it wasn't pulling the grids as it did from 1999 to 2004. 

One must consider the increase in the cost of bikes too, and their state of reliability now also. 
Super Dave

Super Dave

I remember John Ulrich putting it very well once:  "Racers race." 

There are a lot less expensive forms of racing.  In the end, what kind of racing do you want to do?
Super Dave

Tornado Bait

I've already got an AMB transponder, so yes I'm in favor.  Only comment I would like to make is regarding the placement.  Other org I race with used to mandate the transponder be mounted on the tail where it was easily subject to crash damage.  They've since moved the location to the forks between the tripples where it is better protected.  And to anyone questioning the durability of the AMB mine has some pretty good rash on it, is over 5 years old, and still works perfectly.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

Knightslugger

Quote from: Super Dave on September 16, 2010, 08:00:13 PM
I can help.

One is for scoring.  The other is not.  One will give you specific data point information.  The other is for scoring.  

For racing, you need a license.  Don't need one for a leisurely track day.  Most organizations already require the transmitter.  Didn't Trackaddix use the AMB transmitters?  Can't remember, but I believe so...And a $50 rental fee was required to use it to race, or it was optional for their track days if you wanted to get some lap times.

In fact, looks like they still use them...
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1687388

perhaps i worded it wrong. I understand the difference... a GPS lap timer, will give you the same data anywhere you go that a transponder can only give you on one specific weekend. I don't believe BFR/MotoVid even have their timing system active (if they even have one) during their events. you have to rely on a lap timer of some sorts. and for $450 a GPS timer is going to tell you a hell of a lot more than the CCS AMB timer ever will.

Ducmarc

I guess I'm not one that likes change. I'm not broke I can afford one I'm
sorry I came off bitter it just seemed like one more cost of racing. If I stick to my plan.  Of a few races a year then I would rent. If I raced every weekend than. It makes sense to buy. I feel better today ben fox sent my crank back it looks great polished like chrome I'm ready for the high bank

Super Dave

Quote from: Knightslugger on September 16, 2010, 08:43:15 PM
perhaps i worded it wrong. I understand the difference... a GPS lap timer, will give you the same data anywhere you go that a transponder can only give you on one specific weekend. I don't believe BFR/MotoVid even have their timing system active (if they even have one) during their events. you have to rely on a lap timer of some sorts. and for $450 a GPS timer is going to tell you a hell of a lot more than the CCS AMB timer ever will.
Why would Motovid have a timing system?  They aren't a racing organization.  Blackhawk has a loop for all the other organizations to hook into, that's it.  If they wanted to run an event with scoring, they'd need to rent, buy, or borrow a system for scoring.   

I have to say this again:  any of the transmitter systems are for scoring.  You don't need that for track days. 

So, for the cost of the GPS timer, it will still never score an event.  If one is a competitor, that is really the real deal.  Or go back to trying to find good hand scorers and subjective speculation at the line. 

It's my point of view, and it seems as though all racing organizations, and even some athletic events, are or have gone this route. 

Eventually, water cooling became quite popular in spite of the extra cost and maintenance...
Super Dave

Knightslugger