News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Cycle News Folded

Started by spyderchick, September 01, 2010, 11:06:35 AM

spyderchick

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/Aug/100831cyclenews.htm

CR Gittere said on the WERA BBS that he talked to the CN peeps and it's true.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Yeah, I heard it from an industry contact.  Good friend and industry insider kind of gave me the "hold on" message, but then followed up with it's done. 

I saw a place where Don Emde said, "Not many people in the sport who were riding before there was a Cycle News. If this is true, that's something quite historic." 
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Don Cook
CCS #53

Ducmarc

that really sucks it was like a home town newspaper  i guess the whole motorcycle industry is crumbling.

spyderchick

Quote from: Ducmarc on September 01, 2010, 09:52:21 PM
that really sucks it was like a home town newspaper  i guess the whole motorcycle industry is crumbling.

Not crumbling, in transition. Things we loved will go away, and things we will love are being born right now.
Nothing is static.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

ahastings

even many of the mainstream newspapers are struggling. Don't think it is a motorcycle problem as much as a change in the way we get our news and information. I am old enough to remember waiting for cycle news to get the latest race results. At one time there were two seperate editions and east and a west edition. Now we have everything at our fingertips.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Ducmarc

plenty of 07's and 08's at our local multibrand dealer still.  they got a brand new 08 gsxr 600  what do you do with that? but in their defense my friend there say's that they have been selling more bikes but still really  heavy on inventory

garraper

export good jobs,,import cheap labor,, get your pitch fork ready..

Super Dave

Quote from: garraper on September 07, 2010, 10:47:38 AM
export good jobs,,import cheap labor,, get your pitch fork ready..
No idea how that works with the Cycle News stuff, but...

But, I'll play... Who's jobs are they anyway?
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

Like I mentioned in another thread, recessions are the #1 time new businesses start and long established ones (that don't quickly adapt, or aren't willing to change) collapse.

It's the cyclical 'Thinning of the herd', traditionally weeding out the weak and a stronger / better herd resulting in the long run. Competition keeps businesses competative, but too much competition will result in minimal or even no profits and less success for most or even all - profits that are required to survive and could have been used to provide an even better product.

I think right now the excessive competition is being thinned down to a healthy level and the surviving businesses will end up providing better products for the same cost (or cheaper).
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

garraper

Super Dave,  the jobs can be explained from a performance by George Carlin's,words to the world.  :banghead:

Super Dave

Quote from: garraper on September 09, 2010, 09:49:40 AM
Super Dave,  the jobs can be explained from a performance by George Carlin's,words to the world.  :banghead:
Obviously, comedy.

Unless a worker is self employed, the job is not the property of the employee.  It is owned by the business owner, the company, whatever. They can do with it as they wish.  Move it, ship it, increase it.
Super Dave