News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

The cost of racing...

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2010, 04:05:41 PM

Jeff

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on August 27, 2010, 06:58:43 PM
Jeff, I'm honored to be included in this post.  That was indeed a magnificent era and you captured it well!

Magnificent indeed...  I'm just sorry there are so many who we shared it with that I left off and just don't remember.  Guys like Ike, Sean Wyatt, Edgar Dorn, Anthony Connor.  Hell, Andy Feursthaler(sp??) and I ran our amateur year together.  I was there when Ortega came out onto BHF for the first time.  Bastard stuffed me in 3D and I returned the favor in 6.  And the latter years with Johnny Petta, Greg Langman, etc.

The list of riders I've shared pavement with is a mile long, and at that one level, we're brothers & a few sisters...

Good times man....  Good times...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Ducmarc

i was thing about how to lower costs especially in lightweight  how about a class index as much as i disliked it in drag racing that is probably what saved sportsman racing in the 70's  if it were not for bracket racing the local level would be dead. i thoght  3 class levels all running on a track index   except   unlimited    lightweight would be like 5 seconds under the record  middleweight 2 seconds and unlimited no index .  you could keep safety rules and throw out the rest of the rule book.  you ride under the index on any lap and your DQ ed   you still have to be first to finsh but be under the index. that way you enter anybike you want in any class .  no crying on who's got what if you want to run a gixer 1000 in lightweight and you suck riding fine . if you think you can win in middleweight on an SV fine   that way if you don't have to buy the latest bike on the planet to try and collect a cup.   and if your a rising star witha pocket full of cash go unlimited or join the AMA   we all cry about the it works now but no one wants to change anything.  look at track days    slow medium fast same thing.   for differant races during the day change the amount of laps   like 5 lap 10 lap15 lap .   i we want to keep people riding make it to where you don't have to buy a 20k bimota and 3 sets of tires every weekend in lightweight just to win a cup.

Burt Munro

Hey K3 Chris Onwiler....   nice writeup.

You should think about writing a book!   :kicknuts:

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

roadracer162

Marc,
What are you thinking, $20K for a Bimota try $34K now that everyone wants one. The Bimota is good but I think your ebay special Ducati 748 is the way. It is what it is where some guys or gals have the money and maybe they need that bike. I found myself this past weekend keeping up pretty close to those guys with my Ducati 800.

That $50K SV built by Prieto would certainly give them a run for the money.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Me likey index racing idea!  That could really work for a guy who rides well but is... um... BIG.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

kawtipping

The index idea has some merit.  Though would you find someone sandbagging that is capable of riding the same consistent lap time lap after lap?  Also, if someone jams on the brakes at the line that could cause a whole heap of problems.  It may be worth some investigating as it would help those without the means to buy the latest and greatest be competitive.
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

GSXR RACER MIKE

Or.....like I've been saying FOREVER - Power to Weight Ratio (PWR) classes. Have some classes with a minimum weight per Horsepower, for example there would be a minimum of 5 lbs per Hp in the class shown below:

combined bike & rider weight divided by rear wheel HP
375 lb bike + 125 lb rider = 500 lbs / 100 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
400 lb bike + 185 lb rider = 585 lbs / 117 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
425 lb bike + 250 lb rider = 675 lbs / 135 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
450 lb bike + 300 lb rider = 750 lbs / 150 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp

Do that and your going to see a whole lot of competition and a bunch of new people finishing Top 3. Even with the PWR equalized amongst competitors the heavier riders would still be at a disadvantage due to less traction available in turns and longer braking distances, but it would still result in one Hell of a lot closer competition thru out the entire field than there is now. This would also give racers like K3 a chance at winning 'fair and square' due to his ability, not like it is now where even if everyone has the same tires winning can be very influenced by who has the lowest amount of weight per Hp. This would also give heavier racers who currently finish well a chance to show just how good they really are (they might even run away with wins once the playing field is leveled out).

Worried about cheating? These type of classes are about competing on a level playing field and would be on an honor system of stating your Rear Wheel Hp to tech - if you have to cheat in this class then it's obvious your not confident in your ability as a racer. If you want to prove to yourself that your a better racer than the competition, and that your not winning because you have a power to weight ratio advantage, this is where you race. No purse money in these classes (unless a dyno is available to confirm PWR), just plaques.

That's my idea.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

funsizeracing

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on August 31, 2010, 11:23:52 AM
Or.....like I've been saying FOREVER - Power to Weight Ratio (PWR) classes. Have some classes with a minimum weight per Horsepower, for example there would be a minimum of 5 lbs per Hp in the class shown below:

combined bike & rider weight divided by rear wheel HP
375 lb bike + 125 lb rider = 500 lbs / 100 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
400 lb bike + 185 lb rider = 585 lbs / 117 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
425 lb bike + 250 lb rider = 675 lbs / 135 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp
450 lb bike + 300 lb rider = 750 lbs / 150 Rear Wheel Hp = 5.00 lbs per Hp

Do that and your going to see a whole lot of competition and a bunch of new people finishing Top 3. Even with the PWR equalized amongst competitors the heavier riders would still be at a disadvantage due to less traction available in turns and longer braking distances, but it would still result in one Hell of a lot closer competition thru out the entire field than there is now. This would also give racers like K3 a chance at winning 'fair and square' due to his ability, not like it is now where even if everyone has the same tires winning can be very influenced by who has the lowest amount of weight per Hp. This would also give heavier racers who currently finish well a chance to show just how good they really are (they might even run away with wins once the playing field is leveled out).

Worried about cheating? These type of classes are about competing on a level playing field and would be on an honor system of stating your Rear Wheel Hp to tech - if you have to cheat in this class then it's obvious your not confident in your ability as a racer. If you want to prove to yourself that your a better racer than the competition, and that your not winning because you have a power to weight ratio advantage, this is where you race. No purse money in these classes (unless a dyno is available to confirm PWR), just plaques.

That's my idea.  :thumb:

But I don't want to race a moped!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Team Spalding

They got rid of the power to weight classes last year because it cost too much to haul around and run the dyno at races.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Super Dave

Quote from: Team Spalding on August 31, 2010, 03:33:47 PM
They got rid of the power to weight classes last year because it cost too much to haul around and run the dyno at races.
And that there are ways to have multiple maps in a system...
Super Dave

Ducmarc

i was thinking maybe use it in lightweight as an basic class for slower , older or less funded riders could ride with older bikes rather than parting out a nice race bike on ebay it still could be competitive  it might even help bike shops and aftermarketers with engine rebuilds and parts sales . it must suck to have a hole bin of of rear sets that fit  an RC51  and no one to sell to. mashing the brake at the line is a problem and is illegal in bracket racing they use brake lights to watch for that. I'm not sure we could do that. we all know after practice about what we and everyone else is doing. and if you want to spend stupid money go unlimited  but it would have to be a true lightweight index . not taking the fastest time from the last race .maybe average everyone in the class.   could take one or to classes and try this like f40 or lightweight grand prix and see if it works.    drag racers have  11.90 10.90 9.90 8.90 classes with 9.90 being the most popular since it doesn't take a million bucks to race it .    i think we are going to be stuck with a sour economy with tight credit for several more years and if we can't find a we to keep cost down and more people riding the whole series may unravel

K3 Chris Onwiler

In a power-to-weight class, Billy Casper would be God.  I'd do my best to keep him honest!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com