News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Some thoughts on the future of Midwest/Great Plains racing

Started by spyderchick, August 23, 2010, 03:24:19 PM

spyderchick

First off, everyone I had the pleasure to talk with this weekend really wants to make racing a success again. This was a hot subject at the track, there were lots of good ideas out there, here are few random thoughts I had.

Hawk commented in another thread about getting your friends out to race by splitting costs such as travel and whatnot. This is the kind of thinking we need right now. If every racer gets a friend to either pre-register or sign up for a school, we can get some good numbers. Get those racers on hiatus to come back out. Let's face it, when is the last time you saw 'spectators' in any great numbers at the track?  It's not going to happen at a club event. That's not a good direction to spend any resources.

That said, perhaps CCS could put an incentive program in place. If you bring a friend out who signs up for the school and enters a race that weekend, the racer who brought them out gets a cert for one entry. From a business stand point, it's a wash, an entry for an entry, but in the long run, you've created a new, repeat customer. Kind of like that shampoo commercial from the 70's (I'm showing my age here), you tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends and they tell 2 friends, it becomes exponential.

Track days are drawing some pretty good numbers, so the desire is there to go fast. I don't think chasing a Midwest expert will teach you nearly as much on a trackday as it will in the heat of an actual event. Hell, pick their brain at a trackday, a number of them work these events, and then see if you can apply what you've learned. We've had a number of records set at the track during race events. No one is doing that at trackdays because that's not what trackdays are about.

Track day guys who think that they aren't ready to race need to understand they will improve and gain new experience by racing. There is a different vibe during a race weekend than on a track day. The excitement is higher, the  competition, even with the guys in the middle and the back of the pack, becomes a challenge. A wise man (ahem, Dave Doe) told my husband this weekend, masturbation is fun, you get to play with yourself; but sex is where it's at because you get to share it with someone. You are not supposed to race at a trackday, and really, there's no scoring, no flag, no trophy. A race is a competition, you put your best up against someone else's best. You have a standard you can measure yourself against.

No doubt, CCS has a lot of work to do if the Midwest is going to comeback to it's glory days of full grids where you had better pre-enter or you might not compete. The business model has changed. Trackdays are not the enemy however. Partnerships with trackday providers can become the ultimate feeder system to the future of  motorcycle racing.

Riders complain about the grids being too thin to make any contingency $$. We can change that. Let's help CCS out by making sure there are enough machines out there, so when the time comes to talk to those in the industry about offering contingency, they have a reason to do so.

We have a good infrastructure in place. CCS and Midwest Safety Crew have a nicely trained group of experienced people, tracks like Blackhawk Farms are making improvements so our time there is comfortable and safe. The bigger stuff is handled, the smaller moving pieces need a bit of tweaking.

We can make 2011 a growth year. Now is the time to make changes for the future. If you have ideas on how CCS can grow and improve, send them to Kevin. It doesn't matter whether you think there needs to be rule changes, if you have a marketing idea, or some other comments on improvement. However, while being critical, you must offer a solution. We will not recover if all we do is complain and provide negative feedback. That's a dead end street.

Remember, Kevin worked hard to keep the remainder of the Midwest season alive. Let's show him it's worth having a 2011 season by making September at Blackhawk worth his time. Every one of us can make an impact.

:preachon: I'm off the soap box, :blahblah: someone else rant for a bit.  :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

riderupred

On another site, somebody ( EVIL TWIN) had also mentioned volunteers in order to keep the costs lower for CCS... like volunteer officials, tech, registration, safety crew, security, ect, ect.  these people say they do it for the sport and not the money.... well that would save CCS alot of money....

We have always offered to share our pits, trailer, truck,, pit vehicle, generator, tools, hands, bikes, tires, tire changer and such and I agree with Paul, More people need to be doing this. 

an alternative to Alexa's idea of the certificate  for bringing a new rider... what about a "race" with award at the award ceremony?  The person to bring a noobie in to get their license and enter a race that weekend gets 1 point per noobie... the person with the most points at the end of the season wins and gets one of those little bike trophies.   This way there isn't a wash in entry prices, CCS still gets there money plus new riders... 2 people tell 2 people tell two people..... That really is an anybody race and the more competative that becomes the better the grids look and the better off CCS will be
Mrs. Gntbldr!

twilkinson3

I'm personally going to twist Shelly's arm (Evil Twin) if she makes it to the STT BFR day in Sept, that lady SHOULD be racing

I posted this in the other thread but will post it here as well, I'm a software engineer, high end banking systems stuff (for short) I'd LOVE to help out by seeing what part of the home office process could be automated or brought online - my time would be free to Kevin/CCS for that purpose....that said I'm sure there are other folks with skills in the ranks that could be applied to improving the CCS racing org/process/etc - outside of Saftey crew, officals, etc - personally I like paid professionals in those roles, but there has to be other places we as the racing community can donate time or effort to helping improve - I mean there has to be at least one insurance agent among us.....etc etc - hell get an insurance company to sponsor CCS MW next year, someone knows someone out there....

riderupred

Quote from: twilkinson3 on August 23, 2010, 04:51:10 PM
I'm personally going to twist Shelly's arm (Evil Twin) if she makes it to the STT BFR day in Sept, that lady SHOULD be racing

I posted this in the other thread but will post it here as well, I'm a software engineer, high end banking systems stuff (for short) I'd LOVE to help out by seeing what part of the home office process could be automated or brought online - my time would be free to Kevin/CCS for that purpose....that said I'm sure there are other folks with skills in the ranks that could be applied to improving the CCS racing org/process/etc - outside of Saftey crew, officals, etc - personally I like paid professionals in those roles, but there has to be other places we as the racing community can donate time or effort to helping improve - I mean there has to be at least one insurance agent among us.....etc etc - hell get an insurance company to sponsor CCS MW next year, someone knows someone out there....

you should  check out some of these so called paid professionals...... just cause they are getting paid doesn't mean they know anymore or are anymore of a professional as the guy who is not getting paid.... there is no education requirements, certifications or what not for these positions....hence why I suggested volunteers.... But if they were certified for their positions, I would say keep paying them because they have gone to school and have the degree and training to back them up. agreed for the timing and control tower people to get paid but the rest can be replaced by volunteers easily without sacrificing quality

our cousin Nancy is an American Family rep.. My husband is web page builder and an electrical engineer, I will have my CPA and a couple other accounting certifications in hand February 6th...10 years of management experience . corner worked for CCS  and AMA events for 8 years. I am more then happy to volunteer any thing I can to help out. Even if it is as little as putting the wrist bands on at the gate.

Also KAOSH my husbands race sponsor, will no longer have a  sport bike racer to sponsor next season... I can talk to him about sponsoring CCS directly in place of sponsoring Jim. He is a very generous man and sponsors quite a few different racers in various sports.

yeah Shelly needs to get her tush racing!!!!! I have seen her quite a few times at trackdays and she looks awesome!!! she can totally kick some Femmoto ass!!!
Mrs. Gntbldr!

SV88

Dave's Doe's analogy made me laught because I'm always telling people that racing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!  But he makes an excellent point.  Racing requires commitment and guts. 

There are a lot of good ideas out there on how to promote racing.  I still think that we should promote racing to the general motorcycling public - I've had quite a few of my MSF BRC students come & see me race (slowly), start track days and a year or so later show up in the amateur ranks. 

The CMRA puts together a snazzy poster for their each of their events.  Racers print these out and post them in their local shops.  If we get 2 spectators per poster....We obviously cannot rely on spectator funding but we should not write it off either.  I think that anyone seeing Jason Farrell putting it sideways while laying down a rubber line  when he passed me on the outside of 5 would find it very exciting...

As racers, we have to step up, implement some of these ideas if we want to continue racing 90 min from home....
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

skiandclimb

I would be willing to donate my fine-tuned skills of abridging civil rights at any of the upcoming races....all for free! 
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

inpayne

I think a problem is people that do the trackdays don't know how much better racing is than a trackday, and that it doesn't matter if "they are not fast enough" seemingly they all think they are not fast enough.

What do you think people did before trackdays? they sucked it up and raced!

I'm not sure how to fix this, but I think the racing orgs need to find a way to partner with trackday orgs. But it will have to benefit the trackday orgs too, otherwise they will say FU.

Or maybe CCS needs to put some "coupons" out there like any other buisness. I know it sucks not making all the money, but you will get more people in the events, which evens out, and then they come back.

Like for first time racers 1/2 off entry, or the first race free. *this will get those people that are not sure about it, and once they try it and realize how much better it is, then they are hooked. Like a drug dealer giving free samples ;) People say racing is worse than drugs, all it will take is a taste.
Or to keep returning racers there, enter 3 races get a 4th free.

duckracer996

In my humble opinion partnering with track day orgs wil help. I was and still am the slow track day goer that just got into racing last year. I decided to start racing by trying the MCRA challenge series at my local track. That showed me that you don't have to be the fast guy to race. I keep learning from bringing up the rear. At least now I pass a few people and don't ALWAYS come in dead last! The track day orgs have a great turn out so if CCS could partner with them it should get the numbers up.

Lucas W120

I started at track days, and now i'm hooked for good. I probably wouldnt have started racing if it were not for the td's. But at the same time i only did two track days and decided it wasn't enough. the problem is all the riders the have done every td for the last 2-3 years and still are not racing

wirehairs2

The only way I think they (CCS, TD orgs) could partner is to hold events at the same time and place. Even then I have witnessed a virtual ghost town feel on race day , the day after the TD (Gateway). It is a very complex problem with all the TD orgs and CCS or any sanctioning body fighting for the same customer in a region already challenged for enthusiasts.

riderupred

Just a thought but there are some fast trackday people that are not racing..... what if the trackdays offered to pay for or paid for a portion of the license for those people who maintain a certain average lap time... That would move some of the people that think they are not fast enough into racing with the confidence that they need in regards to their speed.

another thought....

CCS have a racer appreciation weekend in each region where the races are only $25.00 each, no registration fee, and no gate fee

also...

I have heard many people joke about this but it would be a great idea and will bring in some more money and more spectators..... Pit bike races  :)  10 dollar a vehicle entry fee, motorized class and a non motorized class

and....

get dealers involved.... make posters to post up in the shops. make a pamphlet to be handed out.... have it handed out to all sport bike purchases and available at the checkout counters.... racing is expensive and if a dealer gets a customer hooked --- they are going to profit as there is always something the racer is going to need....
Mrs. Gntbldr!

spyderchick

Quote from: riderupred on August 24, 2010, 06:35:44 PM
Just a thought but there are some fast trackday people that are not racing..... what if the trackdays offered to pay for or paid for a portion of the license for those people who maintain a certain average lap time... That would move some of the people that think they are not fast enough into racing with the confidence that they need in regards to their speed.

When you take the race school, your license is included.

QuoteCCS have a racer appreciation weekend in each region where the races are only $25.00 each, no registration fee, and no gate fee

How does this help CCS turn a profit? They are running at a loss in the Midwest, we need more $$ through the gate, not less.

QuoteI have heard many people joke about this but it would be a great idea and will bring in some more money and more spectators..... Pit bike races  :)  10 dollar a vehicle entry fee, motorized class and a non motorized class

We did that during the Wegman Benefit auction, people got hurt, and no one wants to pay for the liability insurance.

Quoteget dealers involved.... make posters to post up in the shops. make a pamphlet to be handed out.... have it handed out to all sport bike purchases and available at the checkout counters.... racing is expensive and if a dealer gets a customer hooked --- they are going to profit as there is always something the racer is going to need....

Good idea. Who pays for the printing of the materials and controls what text and content goes into each of these items? Printing and distribution are expensive and logistics are complicated.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".