7 (25.9%)
really pisses me off
15 (55.6%)
don't care because i sold my Sv and moved to MW
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

George_Linhart

Quote from: SVbadguy on August 17, 2010, 07:07:09 PM
Anybody have a rulebook from around 1997 or so?  For some reason I'm thinking 1000cc twins weren't allowed in any LW classes back then.

I can't find any vintage rule books on-line but if you go to the archived results in the CCS/ASRA home page you will see that as far back as 1999 there were 1200 CC Harleys & Buells andeven the odd 992 cc Moto Guzi listed in the LW results.  I might be wrong but my distinct recollection was that they were always allowed 1200 CC air cooled twins in the LW class but few people bothered to run this type of motorcycle until after Buell stepped up with contingency sometime around 2003.

Do I have to get on my soap box again?

Lets face it, the same rule structure has been in place in the LW class for many years (at least 11  years if not more) and yet there are still complaints. I read and analyzed the rules and spent the last 5 years developing and building a Ducati 100SS to superbike rules which is quite competitive in the LW Superbike class.  With the time and expense I could have easily built just as fast of an SV650 or Buell.  With as long as the rules have stayed consistent - I just can't understand the constant whining.  11 years is more than enough time to adapt to the rules and if you want to win you can either develop your bike to be competitive or to buy a bike that is competitive.  There would be more damage to the series if the rules materially changed bringing different bikes into or out of the series.

Look - my Ducati took me to several 2nd and 3rd places at Road America in LWSB, GT Lights and Thunderbike.  The podium finishers in all the races I entered were made up of a couple of SV650s, a Buell 1200, a Ducati 1000SS and a Ducati 750SS.  At the end of the day, I can absolutely say that it was the best rider that won - all the top bikes seemed to be relatively even matched and the biggest difference was rider skill  Given that the SV won every race (and even seemed to have an acceleration advantage - at Road America - definitely a HP track) what does this say about the ability of a well built SV Superbike piloted by a capable rider against any other class legal bikes?  How is it that people are still crying foul?  You all have as much an opportunity to make your bike competitive as the next guy, all it takes is time and money - that you choose not to does not mean that those of us who take the time to build a class legal superbike should suddenly become illegal in the class for which it was built to compete.  Fair does not center relative to a specific rider or bike - fair is about consistent application of rules that stay constant from year to year.

George

roadracer162

Quote from: MACOP1104 on August 18, 2010, 06:25:04 AM
115hp with stock bore and stroke?  that's what SVs are limited to in ultralightweight.

I race against those stock bore and stroke SV with my Ultralight SB Ducati 800. One of those SVs produces some 80rwhp and the other 84 rwhp at least that is what their riders tell me. Oh yeah the 84hp SV is running in LW SS. They both pull away from me on the straights and they are much quicker in the tight stuff. I do get a quick acceleration right onto the throttle and that does allow me to get into their draft. My 800 produces 87rwhp. I have run my 800 against some 900s just to test the difference and the stock bore 900 pull away. My belief is that the Ducati 800, SV650 and the Ducati 900 are truly lightweight machines.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

I built a stock bore/stroke superbike so I could race it in ULWSB.  It made 87hp on the KWS dyno.  Most say that dyno reads high so knoff off a few hp.  Now the motor is  getting +2mm hi-comp pistons installed and I'll race my SS bike in ULWSB.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: CounterSteerer on August 17, 2010, 11:16:59 PM
I have seen built SV's making 115HP at the rear wheel.

LOL! You mean someone told you that's what it made....    115 at the rear wheel.... ROFL !!  You're killing me.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Cowboy 6

Quote from: George_Linhart on August 18, 2010, 04:47:04 PM

Do I have to get on my soap box again?

Ducati 100SS (1000?)to superbike rules which is quite competitive in the LW Superbike class. 
George

I bet it is. Come visit us in the Mid-Atlantic region or roll down to FL. For some reason, Ducati's seem to be a good deal slower in the Mid-West.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Ducmarc

finally i got people to start talking a little  lol.   it's been pretty slow on this site all summer.   i don't really see the argument against the 900  i'm not talking about a 944 kit or a 1000 motor  and where's the reasoning for allowing the SV in ultra light  to began with.  for anybody with  with a true ultra lite the rules are shot to death.  so the most competive light weight bike is allowed to drop down  with a rediculous supersport claus but any other bike  is told oh well buy a new bike.   how about allow turbo's on the ex 500 then.      better yet markie ship that thing up to me and we'll build a SS legal standaed bore 800 with abou 95 HP and drop the weight down two about 320

roadracer162

You know Marc, I was thinking that I had spent too much money on this Duc800 after totalling my cost and found it to be $10K. Then I spoke with a couple SV riders and Bill has $7000 in his supersport with a bone stock motor and another expert with some $11K into his bike. I wish someone would tear me down because it could really use a rebuild.

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

CounterSteerer

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on August 18, 2010, 05:29:59 PM
LOL! You mean someone told you that's what it made....    115 at the rear wheel.... ROFL !!  You're killing me.

Sorry, You are right that is my mistake. I quoted the Bimota HP  for the SV.
Larry Zullo built SV's for Mike Mills that made 101 HP at the rear wheel.
CCS FL, ASRA
Jason Edmonds

Ducmarc

larry larry larry larry larry larry larry larry      the lobster        markie find us some 800 cases for next year

MACOP1104

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on August 18, 2010, 05:29:59 PM

Ya I was wondering about that one.  Still, a 115hp Bimota is unreal!  Like I said, let them race LWGP, LWSB, Thunderbike, and GT lights.   Keep them out of LWSS

Cowboy 6

Quote from: MACOP1104 on August 19, 2010, 07:49:23 AM
Ya I was wondering about that one.  Still, a 115hp Bimota is unreal!  Like I said, let them race LWGP, LWSB, Thunderbike, and GT lights.   Keep them out of LWSS

I agree but they need to run SS rules in those classes. As should the 1000DS etc...
C6

roadracer162

The DS1000 is certainly a suitable ride, just not as light as the Bimota.

Still back to topic of Ultralight. It is the only place for me to run my FZR400 and not get totally annihilated. Maybe if I was allowed to run the 560 motor that could give me enough to keep up?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22