News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

BHF to a 1 day race sechdule for the rest of the year.

Started by Jason748, August 05, 2010, 11:02:02 PM

spyderchick

I'm going to be very blunt about this, and it might be a tad unpopular. If you have responsibilities that require financial commitments and you cannot afford to race, don't race.
Life needs to have balance and priorities.

I've always thought the "poor racer" argument was a hollow one. If you have money to race, you are not poor, you are choosing to spend your money on it, no one is forcing you. There are people who think that $30K or $50K per year is a fortune. They have a hard time affording decent food and a roof over their heads. Racing? It's something they watch on network television on the weekend while working 2 jobs and trying to raise a family. 

Like I posted earlier, the fast guys are making it work for themselves, and they work hard at it. I will never be able to afford a Ferrari, but I still appreciate the grace and beauty of one. I will never be a fast club expert, much less Valentino Rossi, but I can appreciate the dedication and sacrifices these riders make to pursue their dream. Worrying about what one can't have (whether it's a skill or material possession) will only make one bitter and resentful. Count the blessings you do have, like health, a steady income (especially in these tough times), and a loving family, and one will find they are rich in life. Never assume you know what other people make, what their circumstances are, or how they are making ends meet, you are most likely wrong.

To address the 1 day format, while unfortunate, it's the cold, brutal truth of the economy. Kevin is doing what he thinks will work to keep the season viable. As a business owner, he has no obligation to continuously lose money on a region where participation is waning. I haven't always seen eye to eye with Kevin, but I still appreciate the fact that he is working to keep club racing alive. Rumor mongering and bitching will not strengthen this sport, only weaken it. Fortunately, there are quite a few folks who think the Midwest will recover eventually. Coming up with viable strategies to change the sport to make it sustainable won't be easy, but it can be accomplished. The sport is changing, but then the normal state of anything is change. Blaming the decline on fast riders won't solve the problem and let's face it, there are some who will never be able to afford to campaign a championship season.

My hope is that 3-5 years from now this will only be a bad memory. That grids will be full, and the racing intense. It's happened before and will happen again. Let's face it, no one is going to make a living at club racing unless you are very good and very clever a la Robert Jensen. Hell, 2/3s of the AMA grid is living from paycheck to paycheck and race weekend to race weekend. Sponsorship has been scarce the last couple of years, even for the bigger teams. The funny thing about change, sometimes it has unintended consequences. When you think you are making something better, you wind up with 3 other problems to solve, whereas something subtle and unexpected will produce dramatically stunning results. I think that's where we are right now in the sport, at a crossroads that will bring the sport forward in a dramatic way. I wish I was a fortune teller and could you give a clue, but alas, I'm not. However, I remain optimistic while being realist.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

weggieman

You want to make a million dollars racing? Start with 2 million................

So very few people make any money at racing it's ridiculous. At this level and this time it's near impossible.

Doug Polen made over $100K back in '87 racing for Suzuki contingency money. He cleared $30K after expenses and he did it on the cheap, traveling in and living out of a beat up old van. Traveled to every Suzuki money race he could get to. He got protested in California because he handed all the locals their asses. Tear down showed not only was he legal but his engines were freaking worn out and needed rebuilding.

Talent speaks a lot about the fast guys, not just money invested in the bikes. I'm quite sure any of our top local riders could go out on anyone elses bike with a bit of prep time (set up, not parts) and still kick ass.
Give these guys the credit they're due.............

I have been in and out of CCS since they started back in '84. They have had a good ride for many years but maybe this economy is their down fall. Hate to see it go but if Kevin is bleeding money at every race he will have to fold it. And remember this is club motorcycle road racing. Life will go on with out it if that happens.

Every person involved in this does it for their love of sport, passion for competition and fun. It is not a neccesity for life except for Kevin, it is his business. For his sake I hope he can  remodel CCS to better attract more racers and keep things afloat.

I'm off my soap box now, sipping coffee and waiting for the bashing.............. :)

See y'all at the Red Flag auction.

spyderchick

Quote from: weggieman on August 18, 2010, 12:00:48 PM

I'm off my soap box now, sipping coffee and waiting for the bashing.............. :)

What bashing? I'm pretty sure those that race agree with you. At least I didn't need to offer you cheese with your whine.  :biggrin:

See you there as well. We're gonna have let you get on the mike for a bit to give Mark a break. I'm sure there's a beer with your name on it somewhere... :thumb:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

riderupred

Quote from: weggieman on August 18, 2010, 12:00:48 PM
You want to make a million dollars racing? Start with 2 million................

So very few people make any money at racing it's ridiculous. At this level and this time it's near impossible.

Doug Polen made over $100K back in '87 racing for Suzuki contingency money. He cleared $30K after expenses and he did it on the cheap, traveling in and living out of a beat up old van. Traveled to every Suzuki money race he could get to. He got protested in California because he handed all the locals their asses. Tear down showed not only was he legal but his engines were freaking worn out and needed rebuilding.

Talent speaks a lot about the fast guys, not just money invested in the bikes. I'm quite sure any of our top local riders could go out on anyone elses bike with a bit of prep time (set up, not parts) and still kick ass.
Give these guys the credit they're due.............

I have been in and out of CCS since they started back in '84. They have had a good ride for many years but maybe this economy is their down fall. Hate to see it go but if Kevin is bleeding money at every race he will have to fold it. And remember this is club motorcycle road racing. Life will go on with out it if that happens.

Every person involved in this does it for their love of sport, passion for competition and fun. It is not a neccesity for life except for Kevin, it is his business. For his sake I hope he can  remodel CCS to better attract more racers and keep things afloat.

That is actually  an awesome idea you touched on..........bike swap race.....but all EX # in a hat and draw.... the number you get is the bike you ride... same for AM class...

Just to be a shit head here..... :D...... ( like I havn't already )  I offer up my hubby's bike to Jason, Brian, or Dan. they have the talent and we already know that the bike can do 13s. We will trailer it for you too... ( I think it would be kick ass to see a fast guy kick ass on bone stock bike.... great idea )
Mrs. Gntbldr!

Jeff

Hey Jenny, since I don't know you, fill me in please.. Why did you quit racing?
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

riderupred

Quote from: Jeff on August 18, 2010, 03:22:00 PM
Hey Jenny, since I don't know you, fill me in please.. Why did you quit racing?

LOL I never raced... I corner worked for Mid west Safety crew for 8 years and trackdays for 6 years... I noticed a decline in the safety of the safety crew as well as lack of workers and training. After being nelt on the track at the apex of T7 at BFR  during a race with a down rider while being refused the red flag by control I quit... Had enough....I had 3 bikes down 2 riders down... one bike and one rider on track.  Rider down on the track was EX # 892...I am not going to be a part of somebody being killed because of a money race... This is when I was asked by numerous racers to start a new FREE safety crew organization and was told if I do so I will be banned from the track and CCS

My husband used to race.....  started in 2006 He quit racing in May due to alot of different reasons.  2nd in midwest USB AM class 2007 and 2nd in the midwest in USB EX class 2008. Was a full time Motovid video bike rider 2009.  He runs consistant 1:14 at BFR dipping into the 13's a few times his last day racing

James Allen Rodefer Jr. EX # 891 on a 2005 CBR600RR ---- STOCK.... used up tires, roached break pads, pump gas, the wrong effed up MAP till Jason fixed it, sleeping in the trailer and eating pbj's and mom's chilli.

His first crash was in the rain in T6 at BFR, I was the safety crew worker to pick him up....Lost contact until 2008...the rest is history :D
Mrs. Gntbldr!

gkotlin

Lots of interesting points of view.  Many that I can agree with.  Some that I don't.  But thats what makes this interesting.  I don't believe trackdays are ruining racing.  Jason, I'd have a hard time believing that you'd still be in business without some of the additional work provided to you by track day riders.  I could be wrong and correct me if I am.  People are now presented with another alternative to racing.  Why this option is more appealing is something that CCS needs to do some research on.  If you don't poll people outside of the racer community, then you have a self serving sample.  Or in this case, perhaps an inaccurate view on peoples perceptions.  Or again, perhaps it is right on.......

Trackdays and racing are different.  Plain and simple.  Some will disagree.  They're both on the track.  They both use motorcycles.  But they are different in many other ways.  

I'm not educated on this topic, so I have to ask questions instead of making statements.

What marketing does CCS do?  I didn't see a CCS booth at the IMS shows trying to drum up new racers or even making their presence known.  You can't do what you aren't aware of.
I've not seen any promotional materials for CCS in any shops or dealerships.
There needs to be a larger push to get youngsters into the hobby.  Kids play little league in hopes of going to the big leagues when they grow up.  If a family can afford to support their children's passion to ride or race, everything possible should be done to encourage this.  I almost get the impression that if we (the racing community) don't bring more racers to the grids, we'll lose CCS and it's our own fault.

I also believe society is to blame for the decline.  You guys talk about "pulling out your balls" and bringing your A game, to throw down and show what you're made of.

This is the age of politically correct.  In little league, they play x number of innings.  We don't keep score, because there are no losers.  It's OK if your not the best.  Just do YOUR best.  There's no drive or passion in people any longer.  No one has been instilled that competitive attitude in their life.  Just be one of the cattle.  Go to work.  Like everyone else.  Do your part.  Thats what's expected of you.  Make money, save and retire to get by.  No one strives to be the next Bill Gates or research Dr. to discover a medical cure that impacts all of man kind.  The days of Chuck Yeager and the Apollo astronauts is over.  People that would fear nothing to prove they were the best and could what no one else could do or dare to try.  Chuck would come out tomorrow on a stock FZR 400 and do whatever it took to kick all of our asses if that was the only thing he was given and the challenge was presented to him.

I do quite a few trackdays.  Contrary to some opinions up here, I spend a lot of time and money to go out and help people become better, safer and faster riders.  I seem to have come in on the end of an era.  I came to track days to get some skills to get me to a safe pace and develop skills to go racing.  As Jason stated, if I was in my first race, my first time on an track and he and Dan came by me, I'd probably crap my pants and go home.  Demoralized and completely convinced I had not business being there.  Unfortunately, the economy and personal circumstances have not allowed me to race as much as I would like.  When I came to track days, there were always a few people that were there to get better and give themselves an edge over other racers.  Alex Macevicius and Erik Rodriguez are some names that come to mind.  I remember Erik's first track day.  On a street bike with borrowed leathers.  He pushed himself to become better.  To go faster.  To find and confront the things that kept him from becoming the best he could be.  Neither Alex or Erik had the latest and greatest equipment.  They did what they could and got the most out of the resources available to them.

Over the years, those types of personalities have become less and less prevalent.  Trackdays seem to be evolving into more of a hobby or life experience.  Something you do to say you've done it and have some cool pictures for your desk at work or to show the grand kids when you get old.  A place to hang out with friends and enjoy your weekends riding motorcycles.   I'm glad many people are doing at track days instead of on the street.  Many of you here don't or can't see that because you, have that drive to be better or the best.  You'll do whatever it takes to get that edge.  You'll drive all night after not sleeping to prep your bike.  Nothing stands in your way if you can help it.  It's not that anyone is right or wrong, it's just a different view.

Nothing is going to change over night. As we've seen at the AMA level our industry and the riding / racing community have a lot of work to do.  It's everyone's responsibility to promote the sport and keep the outlook on motorcyclists positive.  This includes the dealers, manufacturers, racing organizations, corporate sponsors at the top level and everyone in between.  Why aren't we seeing any national talent coming down, hanging out and doing meet and greats with the up and coming racers?  Reminding them, that the future is them.  Though they're factory sponsored now, they started right where we are standing.

CCS needs to take a good hard look, do some research and work the problem.  

My $0.02.  Thanks for reading it.
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

gkotlin

And on that note.  Since they're reading.  I need to say thanks to Marshall Skloss, Jeff Kufalk and Rob Sobottka just to name a few that come to mind quickly.  These were some of the first people in the CCS community to help me, support me and reassure me that I could race.  Very early on when I knew very few people in the motorcycle track community.  If not for them, I probably would have never done what little racing I have done or will do in the future. 
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

gearhead

I think gkotlin has a great idea!
I'd be glad to help man a CCS booth at one of the IMS events, Minneapolis or Chicago for a day.  I think if racers were involved in that kind of marketing you might be surprised with the result.
  Your comment about higher level racers giving back reminded me of a similair situation a few years ago.  I remember Doug Polen coming to MAM with Omaha Ducati several years ago.  It was a big deal.
He did a track walk  during the lunch break and I think everyone was out there staining to hang on to every word he said.  He was very approachable and was willing to visit with everyone, even us lowly amateurs.

gntbldr

Quote from: riderupred on August 18, 2010, 03:17:42 PM

Just to be a shit head here..... :D...... ( like I havn't already )  I offer up my hubby's bike to Jason, Brian, or Dan. they have the talent and we already know that the bike can do 13s. We will trailer it for you too... ( I think it would be kick ass to see a fast guy kick ass on bone stock bike.... great idea )

WTH?! you offer up my bike, MY BIKE!, without even asking me first?!  wow. you ARE crazy :P

Actually that's something I've thought of before just to see what the results would be.
Back in '07 I got to ride on one of Brian Halls race bikes from '06 and just going to that bike from mine I dropped 3 seconds in 2 laps from cold tires.

A bike has a bunch to do with it but the rider is what ultimately has the control.

Back OT.

Greg hit on a Major issue here.
Back in '02 when I got my 1st sportbike after 20 yrs of riding bikes I didn't even hear of a trackday until '03 when I first got onto these dang forums.
It wasn't until then that I looked up online what all these trackdays were all about and then I stumbled upon Blackhawk Farms' site. Intrigued since I felt RA was WAY to far out of my league and at $185 a pop to go out there?! wow!
Back before I got into track riding I always thought people were crazy for paying that kind of money to ride on a track. And then to race? Even more rediculous.

Until late '04. All I had was a rat bike 88 kanotuna and some friends conned me into going to Putnam. All I could say after that was Holy Shit was that FUN!!!. In '05 I got the 600rr I have to this day with a handfull of tracjdays under it's belt before it was turned over to racing.
When racing became a thought I had it in my head I would not be very competitive but I wanted to go out there and see where I would end up in the field since I felt that during trackday and being passed by guys while in the "I" group I wouldn't amount to much. But since a friend of mine asked me to race to help support his website I felt obligated to do so after all the things he had did for me.

Well, going in with cold feet, intimidated as all gettout I did my first race at HPT and was utterly humiliated. Wanted to quit right there and then. But Bill Furman took me around the track in his van to go over all the horrible mistakes I made on the grid, during my meatball, and basically ream me out he realized I was just a scared noobie that didn't know shit. His tone changed and I was then taken under a wing and helped out to understand what to do and when. Yes I read the handbook. Three times at least but it didn't connect me with the real life of racing. After I got to understand the routines and whatnot I really really liked the racing thing Way more than trackdays!

But it took some time to get out of the scardey cat shell, the cocoon of intimidation, the "i shouldn't be out here" frame of mind and into the "holy cow, racing rocks!".

My baseline is what was said before. I never once in all my trips to the bike shop seen Anything or heard anything about CCS racing or Any club racing for that matter.
Yet trackdays was mentioned in a flyer Mybe once from what I remember and it was a BMW day thing at RA. Never anything about BFR up near Port Washington where I lived.

So basicaly there needs to be some form of advertisement Somewhere or no one will get to know of this club racing thing. And so far I still haven't seen squat in regards to advertisement of CCS accept for certain forums that mention it or are involved in it.

motovid.com

Jim,

succinctly put;

"I never once in all my trips to the bike shop seen Anything or heard anything about CCS racing or Any club racing for that matter."

This year, Motovid.com and Blackhawk Farms Raceway have had over 800 track day participants, 50 Rider Clinic students go thru the All Levels Motorcycle Track Day and Track Championship Rider Clinics in 2010 approximately. When this program started in 2005, we had less than 100 participants. In its sixth year, we are still growing the best prospective future road racer markets. 

We will most likely see over 1,000 participants this year, averaging just under 100 riders an event. It is clear, obvious, track days have become the prospective market for future racers. This is in a down economy.

Just like the kiddies who grew up on the internet, I'd bet it will be hard to find future racers who have NOT participated or even possibly began their racing endeavor at a track day.... not true today....but I'd bet its true in the future. 

In our view, the ideal way to reach the prospective BFR / MW racer demograph is by marketing the CCS product to our market of track day riders.

Many of our riders have never seen a racetrack, know little if anything about road racing and have many, many questions, desires and goals themselves.....we cater to this segment with instruction from local regional experts and professional racers while building camaraderie with control riders to build on this community and forage new markets. Many are simply not ready for racing, but interested!

yea, many desire to take the next step but simply cannot meander thru the unknowns. Just look at the forums.....Lets assume CCS/Racing community could answered the big question " Why Race?" the next question becomes "How to begin?" Our Rider Clinics help, but we need direct help from the Race Sanction.

Folks, we should be brutally honest in business terms for the survival of our club/passion..... that is, "our little secret" must get out and be presented (promoted- marketed - advertised) directly to the new market of performance motorcycle enthusiasts than now compliment the many flavors of Rider Clinics and Licensing schools to harvest new racers. Track Days.

Our Track Days @ BFR are a success because we work very diligently to get the word out - market - promote - advertise and deliver a quality experience safely. For example, we have three (3) track day seminars this month alone at local dealerships, one scheduled for over 800 riders at bike rally event in Wisc. Dells, and we are doing all we can to get riders off the street.  Btw, these promotions are for a SINGLE EVENT, Sept. 22nd.

However, these are still just track days. We firmly believe this market is an awesome opportunity to harvest new racers, hence the design of the Track Championship Rider Clinics, held on Fri. Race Practices, as a natural progression to bring new riders from our track days to the race weekends. You must have the target market first identified, value proposition clear, to being promotions and expect any true results.

From our Track Championship Rider Clinics, students are exposed to CCS and the same instructor staff (LCR partners) than can give them their race license. We have already converted a few this year through this process working with Rick / LCR. We have 11 Students for RIDER CLINIC RACE group on Sat.

BFR/Motovid.com feel the race orgs. should now take the baton from here and get riders off track days & clinics with the right incentive/presentation! 

Contrary to the rants about how spectators need to come and pay the bills for our sport/club road racing.....as much as I hate to state this, it would never happen.

Our passion for this sport is not shared stateside similar to other spectator draws such as NASCAR or even Modified Flat Track Racing on oval tracks. As Operations Mgr. for HPT 06-08, we ran many Flat Track Races with 1000-1200 spectators, Drag Races with over 40,000 and of course Road Races. Road Races (including cars) less than 100 per event. The difference is staggering.

For the United States, this business of club road racing is a participant driven model period. If you are a duck, act like a duck. Spectators are not the way. A better business model with updated assumptions must be designed.

Therefore in my view, club road racing's success is contingent upon the premise "he/she who receives or participates in the service offering (racing activity) pays the price."

Just like Great America Six Flags......pay to play folks....Some really fast guys figured out how to get others to pay (Jason, Brian, Danny, of course Robbie) among others. But for most, you pay for the experience of burning rubber and race fuel. 

In this way, Track Days have tapped into the experience value proposition of performance motorcycles on a race track quite well. NOT to be confused with the experience of RACING, which is very different...110% WOT - enter pure competition, more risk, heightened awareness, excitement.....did I say more risk?

In sum, we take riders off the street, intro to a race track safely, ride @ 85-90%,  harvest new racers with our rider  clinic events, we are not competing with racing.  Dealers get involved, riding groups get involved, sponsors get involved......so how can race organizations get involved with track days? I have some ideas which I will run past Kevin for 2011. 

At this point, the Race Organizations themselves must present [promote - market - adverrtise]  their value proposition to this KNOWN market of track day enthusiasts with a new business model that works for the future of motorcycle club road racing....... Once again "Why Race?" to the racers and from Kevin/CCS perspective, why "Own the Race Business?" It must be clear.

If its just about passion, and the good ole days of how it "usta" be, we are all in trouble as this is a business with much risk and market contingencies that have changed. The future model must be sustainable in business as a participant driven sport for all parties to be successful.

my .02(3) cents - flame on;

spyderchick

Mike, I'm disappointed. I really wanted a whiny, close minded rant. You give us a well thought out response.  :blahblah:

What's up with that? No he said/she said, no woe is me, no die in a fire. :ahhh:

You've basically confirmed what I've been saying, that we need a new business model. I find this economic downturn to be the pivotal point for the future of the industry.

Next time I expect you to dumb down your response and side step the question. Present a narrow, negative view.  I mean, that's what good drama is all about.   :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org