News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Where the hell was everybody yesterday? BHF

Started by Woofentino Pugrossi, July 25, 2010, 06:37:46 AM

Ducmarc

looks like the big expense for ccs is the track . and if things are that slow for all racing is the weekand time still that lucrative? i mean if we don't rent will anybody else? look at jennings what can you do with it hunt on it ? how about to cut cost practice on friday and race on sat. i'm sure ccs is under contract how iron clad that is i don't know, but there are tracks all over place do they have any leverage with them?    anyway as for new riders how about big discounts for the first time license and the first weekend . a while back i went cruzing through the archives and was amazed of how many riders with 500plus posts that we don't see anymore how do we bring them back? they don't even post anymore.   i  think i spent about 40k over the couple of years i raced maybe that's all i can set aside on a hobbie in my life time maybe not but the boss thinks so        next

roadracer162

I don't think that racing has to cost a lot. I think it really is dependent on the bike of choice and also what classes to run. If grids are the marker most riders choose the middleweight stuff. Yes the lightweight stuff can be expensive but that really is that person's choice.

For the time that I have been racing I always shoot for a $5000 yearly budget. In 2009 my budget was blown to hell costing me $14K total. But the increase in cost was mainly due to the bike of choice. Tires cost me a total of $700 out of pocket for the year due to Bridgestone contingency. And of course riding a bike for free(Thanks Marc) helps the budget in the Thunderbike and LW F40 classes(I did buy some parts for the 748).

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

murf99

I'm a 'converted' trackday junkie turned 'racer' - probably the target audience for club racing - so I thought I'd chime in here.

One can have a look at the paddock density during the August BHF CCS weekend, 'trackday' on Saturday, Racing on Sunday.... For those not present, there were about twice as many people Saturday (sold out) as Sunday.  I spoke with quite a few people that 'were just (there) for the trackday' - and sure enough, the space was vacant the next day.

I think there are three perceptions preventing trackday 'regulars' from griding up (yes, I subscribed to these at one point as well):

1 - Racers are crazy.  I have a job to return to on Monday, and don't want to get taken out by some 22 year old, that thinks he's the next Ben Spies, racing for a bowling trophy.

2 - Racing is too expensive, and I don't have the budget.

3 - I'm not fast enough to win.  Why go racing if I can't win?

I'm not sure the best way to fight these perceptions, but I figured I'd point them out - as recognition is the first step to recovery?

Funny thing is that, since I started racing in 2008, I can't tell you how many trackday regulars have come up to me and said 'I really want to try racing, but (insert one of the first 3 perceptions).'

Here are several disorgamized ideas, to get people involved:

A - When I got involved in car racing (autocross) in college, my first event was a 'Chicken Race' - an event only for people that have never competed before.  The event was a big hit, and enough to get me to the grid - so in my case a success as I became a regular participant.  Is there any way CCS could emulate this?  I understand motorcycle racing, at large, does this by subdividing each category into Amateur and Expert, but in many cases, front running Amateurs are hugely fast and, to trackday riders, quite intimidating.

B - Cost of racing is no new problem.  I do my best to save money where possible, but in the end I don't find racing a regional season significantly more expensive than doing a bunch of trackdays all over the country.  I think a lot of trackday riders think that racers spend a lot more money on their sport than they actually do? 

On that note, one of the most popular 4-wheel road racing categories is 'Spec Miata' - whereby racers are allowed the base car, plus 'specified' modifications...  In other words, a specific part number exhaust, a specific part number shock absorbers... etc.  I think this lends credence to the call for a 'street stock' category, allowing only basic modifications, and spec tires.

I can't really think of anything more to say here - and I can't think of a reasonable conclusion to my observations, so I guess I'll leave it at that.
Todd Murray
CCS #99 MW Expert

PS I Love You Wedding Photo Storybooks / Moto Union - Ducati Milwaukee / Motorex