Bimotas in LW SS...

Started by MACOP1104, July 23, 2010, 09:37:23 AM

racer880

How about that Bimota Charlie is using in LWSS. Dosnt seem that should be legal. I know it slips under the rules but it does not seem like a production bike with those fancy components.After all is this not for stock entry level equipment.

roadracer162

Yeah the Bimota is a killer machine but you are racing against it with a $6K SV or in Duane's case an $11K SV. Duane did give Charlie a little push at the ROC as would many others could have. Turns out Charlie moves pretty good on his SV that he rides in Ultralight (i'm sure it ain't stock).

At $32K for the Bimota it had better have all the trick parts and it is pretty light to boot. Now if only Suzuki would build an SV that would match the Bimota. Ed Key has.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

apriliaman

The BWM Boxer R1200S is allowed in supersport!! No one said anything about that bike. With a good rider there would be no one to catch up to that bike.110hp and 80tq and that is stock,it is more heavy then the other bikes,and it takes time on learning how to ride it.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

George_Linhart

Quote from: apriliaman on October 26, 2010, 07:24:28 PM
The BWM Boxer R1200S is allowed in supersport!! No one said anything about that bike. With a good rider there would be no one to catch up to that bike.110hp and 80tq and that is stock,it is more heavy then the other bikes,and it takes time on learning how to ride it.

My opinion is that anybody that can get the Boxer set up and can then ride that overwieght shaft drive pig around a racetrack quickly would deserve to win.  Seriously - I have seen a couple of these come to the track over the years and it always seems like there are lots of struggle with set up.  Lets not even talk about availability of spares if you crash or have a mechanical.  Other than Nate & his Moto ST team mates (who came to the track with a full semi of spare parts and full time mechanics) I don't think I have ever seen anybody else ride one with much success, even at a track like Road America (with veeerrrry llloooooonnnngg straights).

Nobody ever said racing in any form would be cheap, nor is it easy.

George

roadracer162

I may be mistaken but I thought the 1200 was not legal for the Lightweight SS stuff but there may be an 800. The 2009 ROC at Daytona saw Fernando on the sport classic line up against a BMW800. Don't remember who was riding the BMW but I think he won.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Peter998

I don't think the Bimotas are making 100hp in SS trim. I know Kat's Bimota is making big HP because she pulled me by 5 bike lengths on the front strait at the ROC, and my bike makes close to 100hp with lots if work done to it.
I race in all of the lightweight classes except SS and UL.
I don't know about SS but I am happy to have as many bikesin the lightweight classes as possible. The Thunderbike grids this year were way to small.
At ROC my bike weighed in at 365 lbs with about 1 gal of fuel, and it makes just under 100hp. For most of the year it made in the high eighties at the rear wheel. The funny thing is that with the extra HP I only went a couple of 10ths faster at my local tracks. I think that within 10 HP more depends on the rider and the setup than the HP.
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

apriliaman

hey peter your bike is 40lbs lighter then mine and we have the same bike!!! Time for me to put mine on a diet if i got any extra $$ next year.I may take 10 lbs off this winter but that is about it for now.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

Peter- You are right about a stock Bimota not making 100hp but a supersport spec Bimota could make close to it. A high flow crankcase breather is said to produce 1hp. specific race fuels might add another 2. The biggest gains seem to come from air inlet to the Ducati motors and the Bimotas are already better than any DS or SS.

Mark E.- you can lose 9 pounds from the fuel tank alone.

My Duc 800 weighed in at 365# with 2 gallons of fuel.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

racer880

Was the 998 bike that beautiful black Duc? The one Barret rode? Its a 800 correct? Single sided swingarm. If so I had a fully built 780 it only made 86 HP, so thats quite a fast one. I would like to hear more details on that bike as it was really nice.

MACOP1104

So now with CCS I have to buy an expensive bike and get it built to be competitive in lightweight.  That's great, pretty much goes against the spirit of the lieghtweight classes. It would be cheaper to race middleweight when you fator in the price of the bike.  I guess I'll spend the majority of my time with WERA in 2011.

roadracer162

You are definitely right about you racing WERA if you choose. I guess you could be right for many others with the same mindset, and I can only conclude that guys with money don't mind racing CCS.

I often wonder about the term, "being compeitive" and I guess it means racing for the win. There are many that race just to race even though a race win is not a probability. I have raced my FZR400 in GT lights with the knowledge that I have no chance at the win. But those races often times are the most fun with nothing to lose. In one of those events I actually got the holeshot in the rain when everyone else was tip toeing around. I led for a couple turns of the race until the bigger bikes blasted past on the straight.

Certainly racing middleweight could be cheaper in some respects but it can also be more in others.

For me racing lightweight offers me the chance to mix it up with what I call "gentlemen racers". Mostly they aren't out there to take you out but instead to have some good old fashion competitive fun. it is a place where a new racer can get his/her feet wet with less chance of an overabundance of power.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MACOP1104

I agree.  The 600 (aka meatgrinder) class is not what I'm looking for.  I certainly enjoy the friendlier aspects of the lightweights since my over 40 year old bones don't heal as quickly as young bones! 
I do have a pretty stout SV SBK with HP in the upper 80s but that's not going to cut it at Daytona in the fall.