Homemade dog food

Started by funsizeracing, July 07, 2010, 09:23:55 AM

funsizeracing

For some reason I was thinking someone on here said they made their own dog food at one time.  Anywho, I'm interested and was hoping they could chime in.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

vnvbandit

Just leave your steak unattended on the coffee table and..........................................................   
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

JBraun

I feed my dog something called vital essentials. It's basically raw ground whole organs, tripe, bone marrow etc. All that stuff that contains good protein, but isn't tasty enough for us to eat. It's super expensive so I've considered making it myself. All of the materials would be available at a butcher shop for cheap if not free.
In the end I just buy it beacause I'm way too busy to justify the time and mess, but it could be done.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

HAWK

Becca, be careful. A lot of people don't realize that while wolves don't eat veggies with their meat they do always eat the stomach of their prey and they get the vitamins and minerals they need from what the prey had eaten. A lot of people develop their own recipe for raw feeding and don't include all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes necessary for good nutrition. There are products you can find that will provide these missing bits to a good raw diet. I believe Alexa prepares Bronte's food herself, you might talk to her.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

spyderchick

Yeah, Bronte's been on raw since about 4 months old. She's now 7 yrs old.

We give her 8 oz of raw beef (usually what's on sale), chuck or stew meat, (not ground) or raw chicken thighs skin and bones included. The bones clean their teeth, add calcium and make their jaws really strong. She gets about 2-3 oz of whole grains (kashi pilaf, brown rice or at times a whole wheat tortilla). Then we give her our left over cooked veg or fruit that we're eating, generally another 2-3 oz during the course of the day. With everything all together we end up spending about $40-45 per month on her food and vitamins, so it's cheaper than kibble.

For supplements we give her a multi vitamin, vitamin c, brewer's yeast and lecithin capsules.

She weighs about 75 pounds and while big for a female Samoyed, she's not overweight. The only health issue she's had was the glaucoma, but that was genetic. There are books out there that tell you how to prepare a bunch of recipes, but I keep it simple.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: We also give her about a tablespoon or so of yogurt everyday.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Expat2b

In case you are interested and don't want to make your own:

http://wilddogfood.com/
Race fan
MARRC Cornerworker, Photographer, Newsletter editor, PR/Communications, Facebook Admin, Membership DBA, and most important: race weekend breakfast chef!
www.skinandleather.com