News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Any photographers at NJMP Lightning this weekend?

Started by HappySV, June 28, 2010, 01:49:53 PM

HappySV

Wondering if anyone was shooting this weekend?   :thumb:

XFACTOR

from what I heard, no photographers because NJMP charges some ridicolous amount to them. If it's true, how stupid are the guys that run the track......having a photographer would be like a form of free advertisement, and from the turn out this weekend, they could use it.  Being from NJ, I'm really disappointed in how things get run down there. Their costs from RVs getting in, to food, to general admission are all waaaaaay too high   

antirich

"Being from NJ, I'm really disappointed in how things get run down there. Their costs from RVs getting in, to food, to general admission are all waaaaaay too high   "

I'll agree to all of those points, except the food. Pocono charged way more for their crap, and it was the most uneatable stuff I've ever seen. NJMP's food is actually quite good for event chow, and priced pretty reasonable. Most tracks, stadiums, areas, etc. gouge people for their food. I do wish NJMP had a more traditional cafeteria style building; that would be better at handling larger events at lunch time.

I'm a bit more concerned about their safety practices, but that's another topic that I don't want to bring up.

drew231506

Yea I heard they kill the vendors with their prices.  Pretty sure thats why Moose didn't show up at NJ this time around.
CCS Expert# 13

gs750t

Lets post up about the safety practiced.  The most experienced and qualified corner workers were not present this past week end.  Rumor has it that the incident in race five involving the bike on fire was not red flagged until way after the fact.  Who was in control?

antirich

how about that fact that no one at the corner station had a fire extinguisher. Bike stood burning until they got all the bikes off the track, and the truck rolled. Maybe 6 minutes or so. Even the pavement was damaged by the fire (maybe they'll finally learn their lesson).

When I cornerworked a few Pocono track days, we had a fire extinguisher, oil dry, a broom, and a partner in each station. And that was a crappy Pocono track day, not a real race. When someone went down, one guy maned the radio and flag while the other helped out the situation. To be honest, I have no idea what the protocol is at NJMP, but I've seen lots of bad incidents with too much reliance on the Ambulance & Crash truck.

I'm trying to be careful of my words, for i really do want to series to continue. I appreciate that the track focuses on bikes and dedicated a lot of effort to a sport that most tracks don't care about. Just wish they let CCS be in charge of more aspects, cornerworkers and safety in particular.

ogie_999

I happened to be in that race that the bike caught on fire. First race of the day and first lap of the race. Coming out of turn 5 that is blind and you see a bike in the middle of the track...

I think everyone was just shocked at first, but i'm pretty sure red flag came pretty fast and everyone pit in right away....it did take a while for everything to be sorted out.

I might also add that i won that race after the restart :)

HappySV

Not to kill the safety discussion, but seriously no one was there taking pictures?  I could have sworn a saw a guy ot two out there with the big lenses....... :wtf:

Peter998

One of the guys from my team is a pro photographer and was out there taking pictures, but only of the Team ECS riders.

Racing was fun down at Lightning, but there weren't too many people there. Maybe it was because it was only an Atlantic Series weekend?

http://parry.zenfolio.com/p651601722
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

Xpat2b

The father/son photography team Dave ane Mike Woeller were there. Great guys. Show your appreciation and buy lots of their pictures.

Here is a link to their galleries:

http://www.dwphotoworks.com/NJMP-Events-2010/Championship-Cup-Series-Round

http://www.windshadowstudios.net/ccsnjr210
Race fan
Retired MARRC Cornerworker