WERA Racer hits deer in the chute at Summit Point

Started by Expat2b, June 14, 2010, 10:47:45 PM

eh427

Quote from: apriliaman on June 16, 2010, 11:12:40 PM
One time me and Eric Helmbach almost hit one between turn 2-3.We were side by side at the time.Maybe a foot away!!!!
I was tellin people about that incident after I saw this video. Had to clean my leathers when I came off the track after that one.
Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

benprobst

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on June 16, 2010, 06:10:25 PM
I take it someone hit it first?  It looks like the deer is already on the ground when he hits it....

That black mass flying through the air on the other side of the deer is the rider being catapulted that already hit the deer. All you see is the rider who was following him.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

XFACTOR

I see the camera bike following the lead bike, lead bike strikes deer which is already down (I'm thinking it slipped),  lead bike rider gets hurled and camera bike follows but doesn't "hit" the mess left over from the first impact.         are you saying someone else hits deer before the camera bike and lead bike get there?

Woofentino Pugrossi

Hell deer whistles dont work at 55mph either. I know a few peopel who had them on their cars/trucks that still hit one.

Best way to prevent deer vs race vehicle issues is to build race tracks in the middle of a city.:biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Ducmarc

deer turtles and i think we had an alligator at jennings one time. turtles almost eveytime i've been there mainly on the back straight it seems. i'm ready for the deer culling exercise whenever you are dave.  lets see clear track of undesriables on friday practice saturday barbucue satuday evening and race sunday.

Expat2b

If you go to the WERA discussion link, someone re-made the video in slow motion. You can even download the wmv file. Much easier to see what happened. The deer drops down, then bike #1 strikes the deer and does an endo, launching the rider forward and the bike cartwheels after him. Bike #2 then runs over the deer and then rides off track to riders left, staying up. Bike #2 gets back on track just as cornerworker Chris Astle rushes to the down rider. BTW cleanup of deer remains took about 45 mins.
Race fan
MARRC Cornerworker, Photographer, Newsletter editor, PR/Communications, Facebook Admin, Membership DBA, and most important: race weekend breakfast chef!
www.skinandleather.com

gixxerzoli

Two years ago in the morning pactice i was passing an other racer on the Summit straight. Same time an other rider pulled in from the pit. So we were 3 wilde, full trottle.
Than SUPPRISE,... 2 Deers passed tru right front of us at the service road after the start finish line from the infield. Both of us braked like crazy but we had nowhere to go from each other. But we got lucky, the deers are speed up and ran off. If they wont start running some of us would definatelly hit them. We were super LUCKY.
Summit is like a little zoo. I also heard stories about fox, skunk, gandhog, turtle, snake even friend of mine Martin hit the bird making a huge mess under his helmet.
This video is one of the worse nightmare of the racer. /unexcepted object on the track/
Hope he is okay!

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!