News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hands down Best gloves and Back/shoulder protection

Started by kam1996, May 31, 2010, 06:59:33 PM

kam1996

Hello,

I am returning to racing after a 9 year break. I am now 39 years young and need the best protection if i am to hit the track.
Back in the day I was foolish enough to race with the cheapest helmet, so so leathers and at times a borrowed back protector.

To keep my mortgage payments and college funds going, I need to make sure I do my best to stay in one piece. Hence the question, what are the most protective gloves, back protector and front protection I can buy. I already have a decent suit, a pair of used Vortice boots.
So, what do you say?
2002 Ducati 998
2005 CBR600RR Repsol (Wifeys)
1990 Honda CB-1 (Wifey's ex-race bike)

Gixxerblade

Check the WERA BBS. The back protector thread is on the 1st or 2nd page and gloves come up once a week.

CCS765

alexm

I'm really like the CE certification specs that most of the Knox back protectors have. As for gloves, I recently purchased a set of Kushitani gloves and really like them (http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-web/productsglovesgpr6.html).

Team Spalding

Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Jason748

T-pro back AND chest protection.... tested many times over.

Interesting post on the speedzilla forum from a few years ago:  http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/general-ducati-chat/25373-good-back-protector.html#post248122
And there there's the old "sandwitch" article:  http://www.johnsonleather.com/Downloadable_Articles/RideArticle_2-07.pdf

I also use Held Gloves
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Sklossmonster

Held and Kushitani gloves are, in my opinion, the best protection you can buy for your hands.

Impact SafeTarmor makes excellent chest and back protectors, custom fitted to your body and very reasonably priced, but they take a few weeks to get since they're custom.

If you decide to go with Held Gloves, I prefer these guys http://www.turnoneracing.com/Safety-Gear/Gloves-c111/ 

I don't think the Impact SafeTarmor guy has any dealers, I always dealt with him directly.  Super nice guy.
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Speedballer347

Anyone remember the gloves with the rivits in the palms? 
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Sklossmonster

Those were the old Held "Galaxy" gloves.  Wish they still made that one, it fit my hands, well, like a glove.  :biggrin:
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Speedballer347

They would get hot when they'de grindage.

I kept grinding through my Sidi's toe-guards cause my pegs were to low...was damaging my boots by eating a hole underneath where the toe gaurd goes.  So I machined some toe sliders out of steel....never did grind through but they gave me an unbearable hot-foot.  My pinky toes had 2nd degree burns  :ahhh:
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

MELK-MAN

Bohn and Knox both make back and chest protectors. There are some others too but can google em. Some chest protectors need to be custom fit. Make SURE your leathers around the forearm are not loose. if they are, the plastic protection will slide when they hit and your elbow won't be protected. The shoulders should have hard armor in em too, surrounded by foam or other ce protection. Knee of the suit, should not be "floppy". HIP padding, most suits have sucky padding. BOhn sells a spandex short thing with serious pads in em, so do some other companies, the tail bone pad is critical if you ask me.. FITMENT Is a curcial as the cost.. high dollar suit wont' do ya as much good if it doesn't fit. Even an average suit that FITS could protect in some crashes better.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Speedballer347

Thanks Greg!
I had never heard of the padded shorts.  I just checked my leathers and had zero padding in hips and tailbone.  Ordered the padded shorts about 2 minutes ago.
Thanks again  :cheers:

dabirk23

Quote from: Speedballer347 on June 01, 2010, 03:41:00 PM

I've still got my old Fox Track Paws, circa 1986 :)
Dave

Without a sense of humor one is destined to be miserable

dylanfan53

+1 on Greg's padded shorts comment.  There's a real difference landing with and without them.  I have pics of my hips and legs after a fall (which I will not share no matter how much you beg...) that look like they were spray painted purple before I got a pair.     
Don Cook
CCS #53

Speedballer347

Quote from: dabirk23 on June 02, 2010, 07:28:50 PM
I've still got my old Fox Track Paws, circa 1986 :)

That's Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They were like only $35 bucks or something LOL. 

I had a pair of Spidi's that were paper thin and not one peice of padding in them, had rivits though....they were the Cat's Ass cause Spencer used them.

varmitCONG

You can still get studded palm gloves from KOBE.
http://www.kobeusa.com/gloves_pro_racing.html
I bought a used pair that a dude gave up for a new set.  Tested them on a 100+ low side crash onto the studs.  Worked great.  No heat.  Has a layer between the studs to stop that and they don't tend to grab like fabric or leather.  These are outstanding gloves that work.

tug296

I still have the pair with rivits in the palms that I did my first roadrace in 1981,  they look like a pair of brown dried ears now.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

funsizeracing

I've been considering a chest protector for awhile. Honestly, I'm not sure if  men's or women's would fit better.   Any women use one?
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

benprobst

Quote from: funsizeracing on June 08, 2010, 07:55:39 PM
I've been considering a chest protector for awhile. Honestly, I'm not sure if  men's or women's would fit better.   Any women use one?

I think we will have to see some pictures to determine which chest protector will serve you best.

:biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

skiandclimb

#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

funsizeracing

Boobs? Where? 

No really, my sternum (not boobs) gets sore from laying on the tank, especially on a rough track.   Hey Tim, our boobs are the same size, which one do you use? :kicknuts:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a ladies chest protector.  Anybody?
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Team Spalding

You Great Plain guys and girls are out there. Free beer parties and booby talk. Just decided I am coming this weekend to Gateway.

I got a buddy with pretty big cans and he wears a mens medium Forcefield chest protector. Something everyone should wear. I think the Forcefield back protector and chest combo is best and it is very comfortable. It is also CE level 2 certified.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Super Dave

Quote from: funsizeracing on June 09, 2010, 08:29:34 PM
Boobs? Where? 

No really, my sternum (not boobs) gets sore from laying on the tank, especially on a rough track.
Honestly, the easiest thing for a rough track for things like that, very common at Daytona, is to tape a maxipad to the tank where you need it. 

Never used a chest protector myself, so I can't help there. 

Gloves?  Getting a set that fit better is usually my problem as I have long fingers with hyperextendable joints.  Vanson was able to make me a custom set a few years ago.  Actually had rivits in the palms, which I don't mind.  Only had problems with rivits back years ago with the old Lockhart gloves, if I remember correctly.  Helds are great, but they don't fit me well.  I had good luck with some of the Technik gloves.  Fit and interior stitching are important. 
Super Dave

tstruyk

Quote from: funsizeracing on June 09, 2010, 08:29:34 PM
Boobs? Where? 

No really, my sternum (not boobs) gets sore from laying on the tank, especially on a rough track.   Hey Tim, our boobs are the same size, which one do you use? :kicknuts:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a ladies chest protector.  Anybody?

C'mon Becka, my tits arent THAT small...  :biggrin:

see if there is a "12 y/o boy" size available... maybe find of the USPRU kids and see what they use...   :spank:

See ya Sat  :thumb:

Dave I've heard of the maxi pad before...  where do you put the string??  :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

twilkinson3

Becka - check out fencing suppliers if you want something simple and form fitting - don't know how well one of hte women's chest plates would work on a bike but it would give you a rigid plastic plate to either work off of padding wise or use as is - they strap around like a bra and come in a variety of cup sizes....

Super Dave

Quote from: tstruyk on June 10, 2010, 10:33:12 AM
Dave I've heard of the maxi pad before...  where do you put the string??  :biggrin:
Aren't strings for something else? 

lol!
Super Dave

tstruyk

those mysterious lady part accessories confuse and scare me...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85

skiandclimb

Quote from: tstruyk on June 10, 2010, 01:51:23 PM
those mysterious lady part accessories confuse and scare me...

OK, I get it now- THAT'S why you have the rainbow stickies all over your new ride!
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com