News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hands down Best gloves and Back/shoulder protection

Started by kam1996, May 31, 2010, 06:59:33 PM

kam1996

Hello,

I am returning to racing after a 9 year break. I am now 39 years young and need the best protection if i am to hit the track.
Back in the day I was foolish enough to race with the cheapest helmet, so so leathers and at times a borrowed back protector.

To keep my mortgage payments and college funds going, I need to make sure I do my best to stay in one piece. Hence the question, what are the most protective gloves, back protector and front protection I can buy. I already have a decent suit, a pair of used Vortice boots.
So, what do you say?
2002 Ducati 998
2005 CBR600RR Repsol (Wifeys)
1990 Honda CB-1 (Wifey's ex-race bike)

Gixxerblade

Check the WERA BBS. The back protector thread is on the 1st or 2nd page and gloves come up once a week.

CCS765

alexm

I'm really like the CE certification specs that most of the Knox back protectors have. As for gloves, I recently purchased a set of Kushitani gloves and really like them (http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-web/productsglovesgpr6.html).

Team Spalding

Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Jason748

T-pro back AND chest protection.... tested many times over.

Interesting post on the speedzilla forum from a few years ago:  http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/general-ducati-chat/25373-good-back-protector.html#post248122
And there there's the old "sandwitch" article:  http://www.johnsonleather.com/Downloadable_Articles/RideArticle_2-07.pdf

I also use Held Gloves
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Sklossmonster

Held and Kushitani gloves are, in my opinion, the best protection you can buy for your hands.

Impact SafeTarmor makes excellent chest and back protectors, custom fitted to your body and very reasonably priced, but they take a few weeks to get since they're custom.

If you decide to go with Held Gloves, I prefer these guys http://www.turnoneracing.com/Safety-Gear/Gloves-c111/ 

I don't think the Impact SafeTarmor guy has any dealers, I always dealt with him directly.  Super nice guy.
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Speedballer347

Anyone remember the gloves with the rivits in the palms? 
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Sklossmonster

Anyone remember the gloves with the rivits in the palms? 

Those were the old Held "Galaxy" gloves.  Wish they still made that one, it fit my hands, well, like a glove.  :biggrin:
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Speedballer347

They would get hot when they'de grindage.

I kept grinding through my Sidi's toe-guards cause my pegs were to low...was damaging my boots by eating a hole underneath where the toe gaurd goes.  So I machined some toe sliders out of steel....never did grind through but they gave me an unbearable hot-foot.  My pinky toes had 2nd degree burns  :ahhh:
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

MELK-MAN

Bohn and Knox both make back and chest protectors. There are some others too but can google em. Some chest protectors need to be custom fit. Make SURE your leathers around the forearm are not loose. if they are, the plastic protection will slide when they hit and your elbow won't be protected. The shoulders should have hard armor in em too, surrounded by foam or other ce protection. Knee of the suit, should not be "floppy". HIP padding, most suits have sucky padding. BOhn sells a spandex short thing with serious pads in em, so do some other companies, the tail bone pad is critical if you ask me.. FITMENT Is a curcial as the cost.. high dollar suit wont' do ya as much good if it doesn't fit. Even an average suit that FITS could protect in some crashes better.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Speedballer347

Thanks Greg!
I had never heard of the padded shorts.  I just checked my leathers and had zero padding in hips and tailbone.  Ordered the padded shorts about 2 minutes ago.
Thanks again  :cheers: