News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

07 600 rr chain?

Started by f3racer, May 26, 2010, 01:31:26 PM

f3racer

what is recommended for a replacement chain to race with? im doing the 520 setup and have sprockets. i have heard that a roller chain is lighter and better but then ive been told to go top of the line chain. what gives?

jason, rob, im sure you'll have input on this.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

GSXR RACER MIKE

520 X-Ring, less contact area by the sealing rings = less Hp consumed by drag. O-ring chains generally have more drag and consume more Hp (I've read as high as 5 Hp), X-rings supposedly only consume about 2 Hp or so. When I went to an X-Ring I noticed a difference in how many revolutions I could get out of the rear wheel when given a spin by hand (with the bike up on a stand), the less drag your chain has (which also includes proper slack and alignment of the sprocket square to the chain) the more times the wheel will spin which means more usable rear wheel Hp.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Burt Munro

Hey SSG........

What's the plan - are you going to try and make it to Gateway in June?
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Jason748

I'd go with a either a X or O ring chain, Honestly I've never been able to tell any real difference on track between the two - but like Mike wrote I did noticed what felt like a smoother or freer spinning rear with the bike on the rear stand (granted that could be the difference between a worn O-ring chain and a new X-ring...IDK).
As far a s brand, well all I'll say is stick the typical / common stuff - stay away from the cheap no-name chains.  I've used EK, RK, DID & Tsubaki in the past, and never had any problems with any of them.  The only real difference between the lower priced chains & the higher priced models that I've noticed is that the higher priced models tends to stretch less (or more slowly).  Personally I'm currently running a DID VM series, because that's what I got the best deal on...
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

f3racer

Quote from: Burt Munro on May 26, 2010, 04:21:51 PM
Hey SSG........

What's the plan - are you going to try and make it to Gateway in June?

mr munro,

i am trying to make it anywhere i can whenever i can. the army keeps me busy and 1500 a month in child support keeps me poor. the current plan is to do the next learning curves at BHF in july, but go to the race at gateway next month. i just wont be racing. i will be piecing together the things i need week by week. i just sent jason some money yesterday for tires. next week im getting my chain and sprockets. the week after that im getting my fuel cap and filling my fuel cans. keeps me from having to fork out a grand in one shot. unless by some miracle i get some crazy bastard to sponsor me before i run my 1st race, this will be my method to madness. or i can start wearing a dress maybe i can hook myself out.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

Ducmarc

please send pix of legs, perferably shaven.   i use DID mainly because my friend changes his every weekand and that's what he uses so i get the leftovers. like jason said any good guality chain.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: f3racer on May 27, 2010, 08:16:18 AM.....or i can start wearing a dress maybe i can hook myself out.

Did you already forget what I told you?

DRAG causes a Hp LOSS!

:lmao:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96