How competitive will the Aprilia RS250 be against the Sv650?

Started by kam1996, May 24, 2010, 07:41:17 AM

kam1996

First off, a big Hello to all.

I raced a 1996 Aprilia RS250 from 1997-2000 in the CCS/WERA series. Back then, the Aprilia RS250 was competitve in the hands of a decent rider. I am hoping to return to the track this year and have started looking for a race bike.
I find myself baised towards what I know, which is the RS250. My question is, how competitive will the RS250 be among the SV650s (both in SS trim)?

Thank you

Kamran
2002 Ducati 998
2005 CBR600RR Repsol (Wifeys)
1990 Honda CB-1 (Wifey's ex-race bike)

erock768

You're talking about the Aprilia RS 250 street/cup bike and not the RSV 250 GP bike, correct?
If you are contemplating the former ( RS 250 street/cup bike) I think you will find it uncompetitive against the SV650 and aircooled Ducatis and Buells of the light weight classes. There was a gentleman who raced his RS250 in the mid atlantic division, I think his name is Jason Zelibor, I've seen him on this board and maybe he can chime in here and give you a better picture than I can. 

For what its worth, I race my TZ250 GP bike against all those superbike SVs and Ducs in the Lightweight GP class and I'd have to say that a well built SV or Duc gives my little TZ a run for the money. Although I have never had one be able to pull me on a strait. With that in mind I can't see the Aprilia RS250 being competitive. Maybe in ultra light? If its elegible?
Eric Moore Racing LLC
CCS / USGPRU  Ex # 768
diesel killer

kam1996

Yes I was talking about the Aprilia Cup (street) bike.

On paper it doesnt seem that the RS250 will be so unmatched to the much heavier SV but the twins do have a huge torque advantage.

2002 Ducati 998

erock768

I know what you mean. My opinion was based soley on my observation of the performance of these machines (RS 250) in races in which I was in. So, my opinion may be a little skewed. Whether it's competitive or not, I'm sure its a fun package to ride.
Eric Moore Racing LLC
CCS / USGPRU  Ex # 768
diesel killer

roadracer162

My opinion is also based on real life observations also. The RS250 can be competitive with the right rider and depending on the track. The more flowing tracks seeem to benefit the bikes with lower overall weight which the RS has over the SS Sv.

The RS250 is legal in Ultralight and is competitive against the SS SV and the Ducati 800 which are both legal for ULWSB. The lighter rider is more suited towards the RS, the heavier rider is probably better on an SV.

On another note there is a performance group overseas that will modify the RS to give some 130hp that has my mind reeling at the possibilities. Personally I like running something different than the mass and get great satisfaction doing it.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

erock768

QuoteOn another note there is a performance group overseas that will modify the RS to give some 130hp that has my mind reeling at the possibilities. Personally I like running something different than the mass and get great satisfaction doing it.
+1

I forget the name of the company, they are based in Australia. And it is to my understanding that they do not "modify" the RS250, but rather they have developed an entirely new engine that bolts right into the RS250 chassis. I beleive they are selling complete bikes as well as retrofitting customer RS 250's. If I am recalling correcly, the engine is a 500 cc parallel twin, similar in layout to an RZ350 with reed valve induction, power valves and dual 44mm Keihin FCR carbs.....and yes, it makes a claimed 130 HP at the real wheel. Probably the closest to a 500GP bike we could get.
Eric Moore Racing LLC
CCS / USGPRU  Ex # 768
diesel killer

kam1996

Wish my wallet could afford a 130hp Aprilia.

I am already contemplating if buying spares and repairing crash damage will be far more expensive when compared to the SV.

I want to get the RS250 because that what I am /was familiar with back in the day, but since my street bike for the last 5 years has been a 998, I am guessing racing an SV might not be such a bad thing.
2002 Ducati 998

roadracer162

You are correct. $22K for a complete bike, or $14K for the motor and all assorted bits to build your own. Just 120-130hp, 115kg wet weight in a RS250 chassis. It is still cheaper than starting with a Bimota.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

antirich

Yea, there's no way a Suzuki RGV engine will last one lap with more than 90HP, it just doesn't have the strength to stand the revs. Actually, anything over 75 is grenade material without a weekly rebuild.

I had one for three years. Fun track bike, but man, pulling off of turns was an issue. A typical SV will slow you down in the turns, but will totally out gun an RS coming out of the turn. Unless you get the holeshot and clear track, you'll always be chasing them.

TZ250s are much lighter and powerful. If they're having problems with SVs, then the RS doesn't have much hope :-(

There was a guy at Mid-Ohio who shoe-horned an RGV500 gama engine into an RGV250. Very cool looking bike, but even that didn't have the power that you'd expect. Probably too much of a liability to ride it hard.

antirich

In terms of crash parts, the RS250 crashes very well. Very few critical parts are exposed, and the frame is 'strong as bull'

Spares are getting tougher to find. Check out apriliaforum.com for the latest.

Oh, and grab onto a new crank if you find one. I had my motor go boom one spring, and it took over 6 months to locate a new one. I have a feeling that Suzuki will (or has) stopped production on engine parts, considering the age and current economy.

SoudersD

FWIW, I came out of the final turn at NJMP Thunderbolt in 6th gear (stock 15/44 gearing), closing slightly on a TZ250. I pulled a tight exit and got along side him on the inside, and our speeds matched as he hit 6th gear, right where the exit curb ended. We went down the whole straight side by side until I outbraked him into T1.

I'm not sure how big he was. I'm 5'7", 135 lbs. My motor is stock, only power mod is a full M4 system. Stock ECU, no PCIII.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

George_Linhart

In theory a well riden  and well prepared 250 GP bike will be faster than a MW class bike.  Look at the old 250 GP lap times compared to either WSS or the new Moto2 format.  From personal experience, I've personally had my @$$ handed to me by a kid on a 125 GP bike at Road America when I was on a very built Ducauti 1000SS.  As long as he carried speed out of the corners the acceleration advantage of my big twin just couldn't overcome the lead that he could build up. I would aolso point out, if you go through the records, anytime that they combined CCS with the GRPU weekend  the LWGP and GT lights class gets dominated by the 2 strokes.

I think that the reality is that at outside of GPRU not many club riders maintain a top-level 2 stroke program and frankly these bikes don't get ridden to the maximum capability of the machine.  Obviously the de-tuned Aprillia 250 cup bikes will be slower than the pure 250 GP bikes; but I don't know specifically how much that would slow that bike down.

Ultimatly, I don't mind having them in the LW classes; but, I do think it takes a good rider who knows how to carry a lot of speed through the corners to be succesfull.

George