How competitive will the Aprilia RS250 be against the Sv650?

Started by kam1996, May 24, 2010, 07:41:17 AM

roadracer162

The Aprillia RS250 streetbike is no GP monster but I love them anyway. I almost bought one to preserve my points lead in Ultralight in 2008. I bought a Ducati 800 instead and pimped it out. The Aprillia has about 60hp and a 250GP will have around 80. Of course a well ridden bike can go a long way. My conclusion based on observations of others is that the Aprillia is about on par with most 125GP bikes.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Ducmarc

go to www.gpcustoms.com markie browns sight if you want odd 2 stroke power  he's big into gamma's  he was a super rider and is building some gaint 2 stroke plus he has a tz 750 sidecar motor he's talking about shoehorning something.

antirich

The real 250 GP bikes, especially the $1M/year factory bikes, are over 110 Rear Wheel HP and have a minimum 220lb. weight rule. The Customer Aprilia 250s were about 20% down on power vs. the factory.

I believe the  Hondas and Yamaha's make around 80HP safely. I say safely, cause there's always ways to make more, but the engine becomes disposable. I'm sure Ayoama's last Honda 250 was over the 100 HP mark, for he held is own against the Aprilias.

Quite a difference from the 320lb, 55Hp RS250.

kam1996

Quote from: antirich on May 26, 2010, 02:45:38 PM

Quite a difference from the 320lb, 55Hp RS250.

Not to nit-pick, but my 1996 RS250 "street" converted to race was a hair over 313 pounds and Dynd at 63.8 hp bone stock.
At the same dyno my 1993 CBRf2 was dyno'd at 87 hp and my 1998 R1 at 127 hp. So its fair to say that the dyno wasnt that much off the mark.
I hear that the "Cup" RS250 is the same weight if not lighter than the street RS250 and has 5 more hp per Aprilia USA release (I remember reading it back in 2000)

That said, on paper, a 300 lb bike with at least 60 hp and correct gearing for the track should be easily be able to hang with an almost 380 lb SV in stock (supersport) trim. Thats on paper, and thats why I wondered if in real life, things were different.
2002 Ducati 998
2005 CBR600RR Repsol (Wifeys)
1990 Honda CB-1 (Wifey's ex-race bike)

roadracer162

So the conclusion is, if we can all agree, the Aprilia RS250 street or cup bike can hang with the SV Supersports with the right rider.

The Aprilia doesn't have the torque of the V-twin which may handicap the heavier rider that miss the correct rpm for a particular corner.

The 250 GP bike in any brand is far superior than any lightweight Supersport.

So the answer is still yes the aprilia can be competitive against the SV in Supersport trim.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

apriliaman

That bike can be fast. if a very fast rider rides it.I rode one before on a track day.I never seen one that was super fast before.When i was racing my fzr 400 410 lbs with a full tank and 63 hp.I ve raced against some of those bike and on the straights my fzr and the rs 250 were the same.I cant brake as hard or turn as good  as that bike.And my fzr has the same speed on the straights as a 125gp.So overall a 125 gp is faster cause it is half the weight then the rs 250.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Gino230

I owned an Aprillia RS 250 and raced it in LW for a few seasons. Awesome chassis, light weight, great brakes. Engine not too peaky for a two stroke, crashes really well, too. The SV came out the next year and I started getting killed by guys parking it and then leaving me coming off corners. The RS is more like a 125 than a GP 250, it's really fun to ride but like someone said above, it depends on your track. All of the S. Florida tracks are point and shoot with pretty good size straights, you are going to have to be WAY fast to win at one of those tracks vs an SV or 800 Ducati. There is a reason nobody is riding them in LW.

Of course I'm not saying it can't be done, we all know a fast rider on a slow bike will beat a slow rider on a great bike- I guess it depends how competitive you plan to be and how much your heart is set on riding the 250- If you're not determined to win and just want to have fun, get the bike that is the most fun for you to ride. I loved the little Aprillia, but I liked being competitive better, so I got a 750 Ducati.

Why not just get an SV? Plentiful, cheap, competitive, and great fun to ride?

Whatever you pick, good luck and welcome back to the sport.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

mwsportsimaging

I think it comes down to this. If you want to beat me, no problem. If you want to beat Ed Key, good luck!

SoudersD

It should be noted that if you're short, the SV650 will stretch you out more than a 600, at least with clip-ons. I'm 5'7" and I often have trouble getting my upper body off the bike due to the way I'm stretched out.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

apriliaman

So that means that bike these day's it is better to be a track day bike and you if you dont care about lap tmes its good just have fun.Thats the same as my fzr 400,too slow to race now but still fun to ride for fun with out racing.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Ducmarc

maybe there's a spot somewhere in AHRMADILLO racing for it. or do like i do and get a hired gun to make it go fast

roadracer162

Marc M.-Is Barrett riding for you now?

Mark E.- There is always the Florida Vintage Series of CCS where the FZR400 is now legal for Medium-weight. Troy did race his in the Premium class and did fairly well but of course that is Jennings where corner speed is king.

Dave S.- I can see where your 06 SV would give you problems with the tank. The 1st gen doesn't have the problems with the tank or rech to the bars-at least that is my impression. On another note the Ducati SS is definately worse than the SV as far as reach.

The Aprilia is a great bike and a great ride. it offers something different than the norm, but if it is convenient, low cost racing or riding then the SV is hard to beat. I wanted something different and at the time the Ducati 800 was the class leading bike in 2008.

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22