Fork rechroming or coating....

Started by Woofentino Pugrossi, May 17, 2010, 01:01:29 AM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Have a question for anyone who could answer this for me.

Situation. On my 97 YZF750R's original forks, a spot of the chrome wore through (about a 3mm diameter and maybe .002" deep) just below the dust seal. Well it leaked pretty good after that. Well picked up a set of older 94 YZF750SP forks (yep the gold ones) but want to get the originals redone. I was wondering if the process of doing ti-nitride (or other coatings) would "fix" the small peeled chrome spot on the originals or would just having them rechromed be more prudent? I looked up new lower legs but at $600 EACH thats just plain insane. Heard of a place called Forks by Frank, but kinda hesitant since I seen some people say they had to grind some of the internal parts to fit them inside his tubes since they have a smaller ID than factory.

So in summary. Would ti-nitride or other coatings fill in the small wear spot fine or would this need a rechroming?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Cowboy 6

C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Scotty Ryan

Just took care of having this done on a 1967 Ducati Sebring 350. It's a process of grinding and rechroming - Can't remember the price off the top of my head.... I'll try to remember to ask Mark today...
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Big Deezul

thermosman had my r6 fork legs DLC coated....turned out awesome and zero stiction.