News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

where are my fork valves?

Started by Lowe119, April 12, 2003, 07:34:18 PM

Lowe119

I bought new fork springs and valves. I tore apart my forks and am not seeing where those compression valves are. I haven't taken them fully apart, but I don't even see where they are in the service manual.
I can replace the springs and go race, but I really want to put these valves in.
Please help  :) :P

EX#996

Lowe:

It may be helpful to share with us the year and type of bike you have.  There are different type of forks for different bikes.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but someone who has the same bike may be able to tell you exactly where they are.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Lowe119

;D I thought I might have forgotten that.  ;D

2000 R6

I can totally disassemble them, but I'd rather not take them fully apart if I don't have to.

EX#996

Lowe:

At times I will go to www.bikebandit.com to order parts.  They have schmatics of the parts and assemblies.  This is the link to your forks.  I hope it helps.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_id=405631

Dawn   :)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Lowe119

Thank you for the schematic. I'm still struggling to figure out where the valve stack is... :-[

I assumed that when I took it apart that it would be part 20, 41

Now I'm looking at the schematic and wondering if it is 11,32 and 12, 33  ???

Just to make sure I got the right part.... I have the Race Tech fork gold valve kit 20mm.....

JoeB

Lowe,

If you are looking at the schematic provided above, the compression and rebound valves are located within 5, 26.  You will have to disassemble the cartridge to get at them.  You really want to do this anyway, so you can get them really clean.  Often a funky sludge of old fork oil builds up inside of the forks.  If you are asking this type of a question, you really need to buy a service manual before attempting to do this yourself, or take them to someone who knows what they are doing.  

Joe

Gumby647

You'll have to disassemble the cartridges to get to the valving. It's a real beotch to get apart because of the loctite they use on it and you have to be real careful to not damage anything.
On an R6 it's a good idea to do the rebound valves too. You'll need an additional kit for this. If you are the least bit unsure what you are doing you should have someone knowledgeable do it for you because it's easy to do more harm than good.

bweber

If you are not familiar enough with fork internals to find the valve body assembly, I guarantee you will not install them properly and your forks will not function properly.  Take it to someone who has experience.  Just my $.02

Nate R

Don't be too hard on him. He's gotta get familiar somehow, right? Although, I do agree he should have had a picture in his mind of exactly what he'd be doing before he did it.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

bweber

I don't mean to be hard on him; I am trying to help him.  In a different post on this forum, someone is looking for an internal part for a R6 fork because they messed up while installing a valve kit and broke a piece.  Now he is trying to locate a used part.
The motorcycle manufacturers do not intend for the fork internals to be a service item, so they don't sell replacement parts.  If something gets messed up, you are forced to buy a complete damper assembly.  
When installing a gold valve kit, you must remove some material to remove the stock valve.  If you remove too much, the rebound adjuster will not work.  If you remove too little, it will be impossible to reassemble the valve stack.  That is just one example and I know R6 forks are a little more difficult to revalve than most.

Lowe119

No problems. I actually have someone helping me out, but I wanted to start it before I took it to him. We got it all taken care of.

Thanks y'all

FUBAR606

Call Jon at Cycle Tech in Tennessee. He is one of the nicest vendors trackside and very knowledgable with suspension. He is a certfied Race Tech dealer, so he is also familiar with the Gold Valves you are installing.

unforgivenracing

::) YO, waz-up?
 IF you dont know, take it to a pro! 8)
Spend the dough :'(
and stop being slow ;D
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

james-redsv

Its always better to mess up your own bike than to pay someone else to mess it up. ;D