News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My Crash

Started by Macon663, May 03, 2010, 02:57:12 PM

JCP636

Quote from: skidMARK on May 04, 2010, 04:19:42 PM
Racing versus track days? I believe that track days are more risky due to the fact that you don't always know the other rider's experience. In racing I typically race agasint the same guys when we are all about the same speed. I know which ones to stay away from and the others that I can get into a battle. If I am faster I know I will get by. If the other is faster I will let them go.

Mark

I do a lot of track days, so I know most of the regulars, but just started racing so I get what your saying but it's the opposite for me. Also AM MW classes had 50+ bike grids all weekend so it was pretty packed. 

But to your other point, someone told me that the only time a race weekend is bad is when you don't learn anything. And I learned a couple things. I learned that if I'm riding smart I can run up in the front of the amateur pack, and I learned that avoiding mistakes is more important than being outright fast as mistakes can compound themselves very quickly...
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188

racenrub

thumbs up soldier
There's always worse things then dying

Carnag3

I saw 1 guy take another guy out in the UNL SS race, he drafted passed me and tried to hug the inside and took out the guy in front of me out of the race.

If I was to ever take someone out.  I would apologize, and offer to help put their bike back together to race ready.

No one wishes to take someone out, it does happen even the pros do. 
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

funsizeracing

Quote from: alexm on May 04, 2010, 12:06:31 PM
Man that sucks so much...I don't think people (like the guy on the blue bike) know how painful a crash like that can be for the 'victim'.

Repairing the bike, medical expenses, time off work, lingering pain from the injury...it's so frustrating to see how careless people are with others livelihood. Especially if you're a novice...and racing for freakin 20th place.

To the guy on the blue bike, unless you had a mechanical issue...you're a class A douche.

I think in the expert group you get fewer moves like that because of experience and also, at least possibly, because most experts have stuck around the community enough to know that if everyone hates you for being a dick on the track, your weekend will be less enjoyable. Maybe some tough love shown to the AMs that take dangerous uncalculated risks against others will help them and everyone else out.

In my opinion it would be nice if the racing organization (CCS), and community, took a tougher stand against people that are willing to take such risks with others. I can't believe I'm saying it...but I like STT's policy on crashing...you hit someone and end their weekend? You're done as well...no refunds...

:preachon:
I'm sure someone will smite me for this but this is RACING.  It is not trackdays.  It is not afternoon tea.  There is not going to be any "By all means sir, after you" just because someone shows a wheel.  Racing is about who can push the hardest, ride the fastest and make it stick.  You will crash in the process.  If you aren't willing to accept the fact that you will crash, then you shouldn't be racing.
Racers are all humans, and make mistakes.  It happens and it sucks. Call it a racing incident and move on. 
It's all about risk acceptance.  Racing is dangerous.  If you don't accept that risk, don't race.

Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

IFMracing

:cheers:

Nobody wants to crash, but agreed.
GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

tstruyk

lol sick em becka!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

roadracer162

Quote from: funsizeracing on May 05, 2010, 02:57:52 PM
Racing is dangerous.  If you don't accept that risk, don't race.

Becka- I am watching your smite count, 135 and counting. 1 applaud from me.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

roadracer162

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 05:52:03 PM

But to your other point, someone told me that the only time a race weekend is bad is when you don't learn anything. And I learned a couple things. I learned that if I'm riding smart I can run up in the front of the amateur pack, and I learned that avoiding mistakes is more important than being outright fast as mistakes can compound themselves very quickly...

Did I give you that wise Ancient Chinese Secret?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Mike829

I agree with Funsize, everyone here has trailed braked past someone on the inside entering a turn (unless you're really slow) and anyone of those passes could have ended in a lowside taking the person out you were passing. 

dan ortega lowsided passing brain hall at the apex of 6a at bhf last year, taking him down, so it can even happen to the best experts.
Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing

alexm

Quote from: funsizeracing on May 05, 2010, 02:57:52 PM
I'm sure someone will smite me for this but this is RACING.  It is not trackdays.  It is not afternoon tea.  There is not going to be any "By all means sir, after you" just because someone shows a wheel.  Racing is about who can push the hardest, ride the fastest and make it stick.  You will crash in the process.  If you aren't willing to accept the fact that you will crash, then you shouldn't be racing.
Racers are all humans, and make mistakes.  It happens and it sucks. Call it a racing incident and move on. 
It's all about risk acceptance.  Racing is dangerous.  If you don't accept that risk, don't race.

Becka, funny thing is I agreed with you full ardently before last year...then later changed my tune. Yes, push the boundary, but not while risking someone else's well being. If you ever have the misfortune of being wheeled around in a wheel chair after a crash, you might change your tune too. God forbid.

Quote from: Mike829 on May 05, 2010, 10:21:52 PM
dan ortega lowsided passing brain hall at the apex of 6a at bhf last year, taking him down, so it can even happen to the best experts.

Ohh, yea, I remember watching Dan race for 20th place in Amateur classes against Hall...right...good race...

alexm

Maybe my initial post is being miss-understood. What I'm suggesting is the following:

1. Race however the hell you want to race and do whatever the hell you want to do to try and get past the guy/girl in front of you, but understand that your actions can have life changing effects to the other people that are out on the track with you.
2. If you chose to disregard your safety, nobody gives a dam...but if you chose to disregard someone else's safety, then that shouldn't be tolerated.

roadracer162

Quote from: alexm on May 05, 2010, 11:28:36 PM
Maybe my initial post is being miss-understood. What I'm suggesting is the following:

It is/was. I think we are all speaking about the same thing-Safety in a hobby that is inherently risky. Some of us being a little less lucky will crash but sometimes we invlove others. I don't think anyone intentionally goes out there to take someone out but I do hope we all learn to make a more wise decision when racing or track riding.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22