News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My Crash

Started by Macon663, May 03, 2010, 02:57:12 PM

Carnag3

In the UNL SS race, I had 1 guy take out another guy going into 1.
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

JCP636

Hey, I was on the Blue bike. I apologize to the guy on the white bike. I hope he's all right and there wasn't too much damage. It was a stupid move. I was frustrated and trying to make up as many places as I could after a bad start and getting pushed off track earlier in the race. I usually can hold it in there pretty deep into that corner, just not that deep I guess. The thing with the corner worker was a bit of a miscommunication. I never blamed the incident on the other rider but I wasn't entirely sure what happened at the time. After seeing the video it's clear I just overcooked it and lost the front.  
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188

JCP636

I wanted to apologize afterwards but he was pretty pissed and the safety people wanted to keep us separated. This was my 4th race weekend and I've done 20+ trackdays and my last crash was 2 years ago on my 5th trackday. I like to think that normally I'm a very safe rider but Sunday was an obvious mistake I will do my best never to make again. We're all out there learning everytime we set a wheel on the track. I really can't apologize enough...

ccs#188

JCP636

Quote from: alexm on May 04, 2010, 12:06:31 PM
Man that sucks so much...I don't think people (like the guy on the blue bike) know how painful a crash like that can be for the 'victim'.

Repairing the bike, medical expenses, time off work, lingering pain from the injury...it's so frustrating to see how careless people are with others livelihood. Especially if you're a novice...and racing for freakin 20th place.

To the guy on the blue bike, unless you had a mechanical issue...you're a class A douche.

Hey, I'm not trying to say I wasn't at fault but in all fairness this is the difference between racing and track days. I would never have even thought about doing that at a track day. I've been hurt bad in a crash before so I never want to see anyone get hurt especially at my fault. And I was running low 1:33's and finished top 5 in both of my Saturday races I was just trying to make it back up front... You're entitled to your opinion however and if you really think I'm still a douche, I'm sorry. All I can say is if we cross paths in the future I'll try to prove you wrong...

ccs#188

alexm

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 12:50:56 PM
...in all fairness this is the difference between racing and track days. I would never have even thought about doing that at a track day....

Are you suggesting that your willingness to put someone in a wheel chair for the rest of their life, or possibly end their life, is the difference between track days and racing?

Go ahead, prove me wrong, change everyone's impression of you from 'kamakazi' to 'safest guy on the track, can't wait to race against him next time'.

EDIT: sorry for calling you names...that was rude on my part

JCP636

I never said or implied I was willing to put someone in a wheelchair. If I didn't think I could hold the line I wouldn't have tried to make the pass.

ccs#188

Macon663

Good on you for apologizing.

drew231506

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 12:35:07 PM
I wanted to apologize afterwards but he was pretty pissed and the safety people wanted to keep us separated. This was my 4th race weekend and I've done 20+ trackdays and my last crash was 2 years ago on my 5th trackday. I like to think that normally I'm a very safe rider but Sunday was an obvious mistake I will do my best never to make again. We're all out there learning everytime we set a wheel on the track. I really can't apologize enough...

:thumb:
CCS Expert# 13

alexm

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 12:50:56 PM
....in all fairness this is the difference between racing and track days. I would never have even thought about doing that at a track day....

Fair enough on your intentions...but what's the 'difference' you are talking about?

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 01:30:25 PM
... If I didn't think I could hold the line I wouldn't have tried to make the pass.

Good on you, glad the guy you took out didn't get seriously hurt, and you only caused monetary damage.

JCP636

the difference I'm talking about is closer passing. I wouldn't pass somebody that close at the apex at a track day... Close, safe, fun passing and competition is what racing is about to me. Track days are for working on your riding and not about getting in front of the person in front of you. I enjoy doing both...
Quote from: alexm on May 04, 2010, 02:53:30 PM
Fair enough on your intentions...but what's the 'difference' you are talking about?

Good on you, glad the guy you took out didn't get seriously hurt, and you only caused monetary damage.

ccs#188

alexm

Quote from: JCP636 on May 04, 2010, 03:19:52 PM
the difference I'm talking about is closer passing. I wouldn't pass somebody that close at the apex at a track day... Close, safe, fun passing and competition is what racing is about to me. Track days are for working on your riding and not about getting in front of the person in front of you. I enjoy doing both...

Dude you have the right priorities right there  :cheers: best of luck to you.

roadracer162

I feel impelled to speak up so here goes. This is more about track safety and more importantly it is about rider safety. Locally we have gone through this recently with the end result being mortality. I hope with this discussion that all can learn from it and know that nobody is expempt from the same fate.

A wise person once said, in fact it was Eric Wood during a pre-ride event at a Penguin School, "if a rider crashes and take you out he is really really really really sorry". "Don't expect monetary compensation". You could sue for that but I think the theme behind it is we are all out there and taking a risk. We are not intending to take someone out. We do make poor judgements at times and I must admit I have at one time or another.

JCP- I hope you can understand where you went wrong. I believe it started way back on the starting grid when you had a bad start. That led to another mistake in running over your head and "writing checks) you surely would bounce. I commend you for "manning up" and taking the heat no matter what names people call you.

I also believe that the experts that continue to be here year in and year out are the ones that have learned all the lessons from crashing either their own or by observing another's.

Close passing? I don't unless I know the person and their ability, i've got work on Monday. Safe? That can be very subjective.

Racing versus track days? I believe that track days are more risky due to the fact that you don't always know the other rider's experience. In racing I typically race agasint the same guys when we are all about the same speed. I know which ones to stay away from and the others that I can get into a battle. If I am faster I know I will get by. If the other is faster I will let them go.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.