News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Latest motor update

Started by MightyDuc Racing, April 11, 2003, 08:36:04 PM

MightyDuc Racing

It's here!  We have it put most of the way back together.  I'm still waiting on a few parts (oil lines, a few banjo bolts, and a couple internal things) but it's getting close.  New pics in my repair gallery.  By the way, I didn't ask for the green covers.  I guess they do that to look like magnesium or some such crap. :P

http://mightyducracing.com/MotorRepairgallery.html
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Super Dave

Ever figure out a root cause for why it popped?
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

They narrowed it down to either the exhaust valve dropping or the piston failing, and are leaing towards the piston failing theory.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

The green covers come on the newer motors. The older ones are black or silver.  8)

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah...I just wish green matched red and white...lol.  At this point, if it was yellow I'd be happy just cuz I have a motor. :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

My vote would be for a dropped valve, which happens on Ducati race motors if you dont keep an eye on the half rings, pistons just falling apart is highly unlikely. Espically forged race pistons! :o I hate to say this but you bought a worn out race bike and things like this will happen on flogged race bikes. Since you have a new motor now I think you wont have any more problems with the motor, but you better go over everything else with a fine tooth comb to make sure its up to standards. Wheel bearings,  streeing stem bearings, check for frame cracks, wheel cracks, brakes and shocks come to mind. Anything that could fail and put you on your butt. Rember this was a race bike that has been raced alot and things wear out. Good luck, see you at Jennings in a few weeks.

james-redsv

Have to go now, headed to VIR for my races on Sun, Later ;D

MightyDuc Racing

Good luck at VIR, and make sure you come find me at Jennings.  Red Durango R/T with an enclosed trailer that says F&S Racing on it and probably a couple black Kawasaki E-Z ups (borrow what you can...lol).  The weird thing about the motor going is that it had just been redone with brand new pistons and head and valve work.  The rest of the bike is solid.  New Race Tech front suspension, the frame is a custom chromoly (super light and strong), and I was planning on going through all the bearings soon.  The guy that had the bike before me is pretty anal about his Ducs (has 4 of them), so it was maintained pretty damn well.  Thanks for the advice, and I'll be checking some of that stuff out.  See ya at Jennings!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: