EDIT: WTF did I buy? & Cold pressures for MICH Power Ones???????

Started by Speedballer347, April 14, 2010, 11:24:18 PM

Speedballer347

Need to know correct cold tire pressures for race-pace w/

Mich 2CT  Power One 'V' 120-front
Mich 2CT  Power One 'B' 190-rear

Does anyone know what Tommy Mason recommends???
Does anyone know what compounds these are?

Thank you  :cheers:
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

MELK-MAN

v- 30psi cold, may like 31psi cold to give a firmer feeling to the softer carcass of the V.
b- 22psi cold, if it is super friggen hot, can try taking 1-3psi out. Super hot as in above 85f outside, with track temp above 115f.

V-great all around front tire. All that need be known. Works in the cold and hot for pretty much everyone.
B-firmer than an A, softer than a C. Used for ambient temps above 68F outside.

And.. more info than you may want.
INFO ON NEW Power 1 tires...
POWER 1 tires (info)
FRONTS - pressures (30psi cold, some like 31 on the V)
all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires and are 5 ply tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
compounds would be 4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.
compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES. (22psi cold, may try 19-20 if it is SUPER hot outside and track temp above 115f)
-all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
-all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
-the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
- the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
-THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge
-ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to STILL WORK ! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
The slicks are out right now! the old 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" - 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line. MULTI COMPOUND (still hard middle, but one side is softer than the other, softer side has a "-" and harder side has "+"

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders. There is less area of soft sides on these, 75% of the middle is 7 or hard, with only 12.5% on each side being the "3" or softer compound.

2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Speedballer347

Thanks Melk!

I read this reply and also read some info here
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/2945/Motorcycle-Article/Michelin-Power-One-Tire-Review.aspx

And now I am really confused.
The review says the CT's are trackday tires and they are junk.
So then the CT120-V would be a trackday tire, not a race tire at all???
Nor is the rear CT190-B a race tire, it would be a trackday tire too???
They said the Power-One w/out the CT designation is the race tire.
WTF did I buy  :ahhh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got another new set that is the same front CT Power One 120-V
And a rear of (No CT) Power One C
So that set is a trackday crapper front and a medium compound RACE rear.

Out of four tires I have One race tire?????

Someone tell me it aint so....someone tell me I have it wrong...Please!
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

R1Racer99

Where did you buy them? I would call Tom Mason or one of the Michelin race distributors and find out what exactly you have. I know that the real race Power Ones do say "2CT" on the sidewall though. And I'm pretty sure the a,b,c,v denotes the race version and not the commercial but don't quote me.

Carnag3

Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

MELK-MAN

http://www.michelinpowerone.com/indexall.html
If you use tire guide link they have in the article you posted, you will find what someone posted above. That A,B,C,V 2ct are the rearl race tires. When you click "street use" or "amature track day" you just get "power 1" not the a,b, or c designation. The V does not come up on any choice as it is a strictly race version tire.
the tires you have are the race tires...

Speedballer347

Thanks Again Melkman!!!
I def feel better  :thumb:

My only concern now is that I have a rear C instead of a B on my second set.
Will a C be too hard/slippery on a GSXR1000 when coupled w/ a V front?
Thank you for your experience  8)

varmitCONG

I'm new, so take this with a grain of salt.  I used the competition versions (v front and B 180 rear) and I felt that they were excellent once I got the pressure correctly "low" on the rear.  Then came the low side at CMP with the front "slowly" loosing grip in T10.  It felt like it was a whole second before I hit the ground.  I actually had time to think, "Oh crap, I'm low siding." 

I don't know for sure but the tire was a different tire that day as compared to others.  It was not new but it still had sipes.  I really had not thought that "heat cycles" were much to worry about considering my level of riding.  That day, I also had the tires on the warmers too long, set on Chickenhawk "medium".  I thought the tires would still be 90% as good that day, but I was wrong.  The tires were definitely different that day.  Again, I am not sure, but I'm not taking chances on these with warmers or heat cycles again.  Anybody have a guideline for the number of heat cycles?

Speedballer347

Sticky race rubber don't stay sticky long  :biggrin:

THe fact that it slid the front for so long, tells me the front is predictable  8)

Imma settle on the 120V and the 190B for racing this year.

Burt Munro

Speedy,

Not sure if you have Tommy's email address if you've still got questions......

Thetireguy2@msn.com
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Noidly1

Don't know if this was covered but, you can only get race tyres from racing venders, not typical retailers.

Just my 2c.

Carry on...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Speedballer347 on April 15, 2010, 12:28:47 PM
Thanks Again Melkman!!!
I def feel better  :thumb:

My only concern now is that I have a rear C instead of a B on my second set.
Will a C be too hard/slippery on a GSXR1000 when coupled w/ a V front?
Thank you for your experience  8)

I have never ran a "C" but a have a 600. I honestly do not think your going to have an issue with the C though. It is just a tad harder on the 30% edge rubber, the same step harder as the A to the B, the C is the same amount harder from B to C.. The V front and C rear should be a fine combo, unless it is super cold outside.