Main Menu

Any Summit Point Track updates?

Started by wadehead, April 10, 2010, 05:44:16 PM

wadehead

How is the surface at Summit Main? 
#152 EX Mid Atlantic Region
Integrated Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy

wraith1027

Talked to a buddy who is there racing today. Said the entire track is a repave and in great shape. Haven't seen it and con't confirm yet, but will let you know tomorrow.
"Happy Landings" E.K.

wadehead

Awesome,  I am looking forward to getting home from deployment to go racing at Summit now!  I can't wait to watch the crazy fast guys set new records!

wraith1027

Better hurry..lol. Last time they did it, the track lasted about 1 month before the cars had it torn up and they started patching and sealing.  Who knows though. maybe they did it right this time.
"Happy Landings" E.K.

wadehead

SVbadguy

They only paved strips through each of the turns.  I expect it to rip up once some cars drive on it during a 90-degree day.  I could easily pick it apart at the seams with my fingernail.  Arnie Hastings said he was running about two seconds per lap slower than usual.  Seemed to be about the same amount of crashes as usual, nobody went to the hospital though.  No crashes in my turn (10) today. 

Beginning of 10

Middle of 10

Exit of 10

T5

T5-6

New Air Fence for the bridge.  I was flagging T10 the day Chad hit the wall.

Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

wadehead

T-5 looks alot better for sure.  T1 any better this year? 

wraith1027

All the turns were smoother, but not giving alot of grip. Seemed to be very green. Tires were coming in smooth, like they weren't biting but just sliding. I still love this track..
"Happy Landings" E.K.

Rick Johnson 29

Read on the bbs that grip was better Sunday after some rubber was laid down after Saturdays races.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

drew231506

Nice pics.  The new airfence looks good too.  Wonder if they will run it for CCS too?
CCS Expert# 13

Roger_Lyle

Thanks to Summit Point Raceway for the great job of fixing the turns on the classic main course. Saturday morning the track was cold and green. The transitions from old to new to old are smooth. Turn 9 had some waves in it, but overall, this is the BEST the track has been in many years. On Monday for our Motorcycle Xcitement Track Day and Racing School at Summit Point Raceway, the track was excellent!  Summit Point will change from week to week; it always has and always will. Deal with it. We don't need negative comments or whiners. We need pro-active suggestions for safer racing at all of our tracks.

I have been working with the track to get some more run-off in some of the turns. The racers and riders must keep their bikes on the track. Those race tires DO NOT WORK in the GRASS. You bought them for racing on the asphalt!

Thanks to the MARRC Safety Crew for being out there.  :thumb:

wadehead

Thanks for the updates.  Glad to see the improvements!   Roger your org is always top notch.  Look forward to seeing you and AL on the 27th of May!