2010 Racing Season

Started by RuschRacing23, March 21, 2010, 03:29:50 PM

RuschRacing23

Hello all my fellow racers. I am saddened to inform you I will no longer be racing for Christian Sport Bike Racing. The decision was brought to my attention a few months ago when I got in trouble for the use of marijuana. The use of pot has been and still is a struggle I battle. The decision of CSBRacing to suspend me from the roster is a completely reasonable action to take in the situation. I now plan to take the time I have off for self-reflection and get my head straight. No one is perfect and God makes it clear to us that's the case. He tells us to come to him first and fix ourselves with his help and through prayer. He wants us as we are, not after we change into what we think he wants us to be. I pray every day that God helps me see his light in the moments where the decision has to be made to either walk with him, or the devil. And its a heck of a battle. The devil is coming for us and hes coming strong. So when I am in the moment where the decision is made, I have to remember, God loves me and has a plan for me and marijuana is not the plan. I have taken actions to stop associating with people who smoke put or hang with people that do. I also plan on attending all the CCS Blackhawks to watch, help out, and give to my fellow racers. I dont know what God's plan is for me but it's big. I hope in my time of struggle you all can see we cant give into the devil. We cant let him win this war.
      I am in the best physical and mental shape ive been in for a long while and will be doing what I can to race this season. If its God's plan to have me on a bike then I will see you ON the track. If not, I'll see you AT the track.

God Bless Everyone,
         Eddie Rusch
Ride for Him, Live for Him

CCS Midwest- #3:16 Expert
2007 GSXR 600/ 2001 SV 650

Christian Sportbike Racing
CSBRacing.com

Look for the Red, White, Blue tent

Cowboy 6

Eddie,
It is good to see you taking steps to get your life in order. If you truly trust in our Lord to handle your life, you will not need drugs as a crutch. Your body is a temple. Destroying it with drugs is not cool. I am thankful to God that you have Don to mentor you and help you through this. If you need someone else to talk to, you know how to get in touch.

Trust in Him. He has a plan for you.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

mike574

If it makes you feel better marijuana is not a drug any more then beer is. I used to smoke marijuana back in the day, I gave it up for job purposes, and just never got back into it. If it is a real problem for you just give it a month. After that you will relise you don't need it. It defintly does not effect your racing ( a hangover is much worse to start a race weekend with) Best of luck to you. marijuana is the easiest drug (beer included) to give up. It is only illegal b/c cotton and oil would lose to much money if it was legalised.  Hell God put it on this earth it can't be all that bad.
BREW CREW Racing

Jason748

Eddie,

I just wanted to say thank you for manning up and coming clean with all of us.  I have a hell of a lot of respect for people who have the balls to stand up and say I screwed up, and I'm taking the steps to change.

CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

racenrub

Hope i can see you at blackhawk i'll need plenty of people to ask questions of during my first year :thumb:
There's always worse things then dying

tstruyk

i got a feelin we'll see ya out there sooner then later... at least I hope so.  Always a pleasure racing with you my friend. 

Tim
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Firecat

Eddie,

Keep your head up my friend...and may God Bless you.
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

RuschRacing23

Thank you guys, I truly appreciate the support and you racers are the reason I want to succeed. Us racers are a brotherhood and you build me up and are always a reason to do good in life.
Ride for Him, Live for Him

CCS Midwest- #3:16 Expert
2007 GSXR 600/ 2001 SV 650

Christian Sportbike Racing
CSBRacing.com

Look for the Red, White, Blue tent

duckracer996

Eddie, I don't know you, but keep the faith. No matter what is thrown at you stay stong in your faith! God pulled me out of the pit when I was a pro musician. The drugs, drinking and sex were going to kill me, and it is an ongoing battle to this day, but one that I have been winning for 18 years. So keep fighting and with God you will win.

Mike829

Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing

MJFRacing

Hang in there brother. I'm sure you'll get through this fine!
Michael - CCS 73

PJ

Eddie, it takes great courage to do what you've done here in front of your fellow racers. Keep the faith my friend. God does indeed have a plan for you.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

skiandclimb

You got prayers coming from me, bro. It's one thing to have the courage admit this, and a whole other thing to come forward and admit it to your peers. 

Keep praying, and know your prayers are strengthened by others in Christ.

Much respect,
Chris
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

twilkinson3

Good luck brother - I'm not a religious man but I can respect anyone wit hthe stones to publicly admit they have a problem they want to solve and do something about it.  See you down at BHF this year and hope to see you out racing again soon.

RCR_531

This to will pass and make you a stronger person. Hang in there and I will see you at the track.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

R1Racer99

Am I the only one that has a problem with someone kicking him out for something so minor? I know nothing of CSB but the idea that smoking weed makes you a bad guy or unfit to ride for them is ridiculous. I'm usually annoyed by having someone preach to us at the rider's meeting but deal with it, now I seriously dislike them.

To the OP, do you really think smoking pot is wrong? What made you decide this? I think your god would be totally fine with having a good time as long as it's not hurting anyone else. Where is the harm?

It's all the self-righteous religious types that came up with the idea that it was wrong. I say keep doing it if it makes you happy and keep racing if it makes you happy, don't let someone else convince you that you're doing something wrong.

tstruyk

I dont know eddie's situation wtih CSBracing but if you think of it from simply a "business" standpoint I can see where they would not appreciate his actions.  He is a representative of their organization, and apparently the use of illegal drugs is something they do not want represented.

I would imagine if he is racing their equipment, he has an obligation to hold himself to their standards...whatever they are, plain and simple.  If he was riding his own equipment., well I dont think we would be having this discussion.

Again I dont know what his agreement or arrangement is, but for example:  if I had a race team and my rider was kicking puppies in his free time, I would boot him off.  With Ed being "suspended" it\ seems like they have given him time to reflect on his decisions, whats important to him, and ultimately he will make the decision what path he wants to travel.   

regardless, its a decision that his team made and came from (pardon the pun) higher up.

Perhaps a public apology is the first step towards him making things right with his team... one thing I've heard about Christians is they are forgiving...

Hope to see you out there Ed

Tim

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

skiandclimb

#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

Sklossmonster

I'm not a religious man, spiritual yes, but religious no.  That being said, I was raised in a Christian household in the Bible belt of Texas and am very familiar with the Bible and many of its teachings.

My question to the Christian folks on this board is this:  Didn't God "say" in the Book of Genesis that He created all the plants and animals of the Earth for man to use?

And in the almost two thousand years since the Book of Genesis first appeared, it's only been in the last fifty years or so that marijuana has suddenly been made illegal by some countries, a situation that is changing as I type (much like prohibition in the early part of this century).

So how is it that marijuana suddenly isn't in "God's plan" when He created it thousands of years ago, and gave it to His children to use responsibly  (along with all the other plants and animals He created)?

www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Sklossmonster

And don't misunderstand me, I totally get why a Team owner would suspend or fire an employee for breaking the law.  That's not  what I'm questioning.
www.TurnOneRacing.com

Sobottka

Quote from: R1Racer99 on March 25, 2010, 05:12:07 AM
Am I the only one that has a problem with someone kicking him out for something so minor? 

rubs me the wrong way too. for this it seems forgiveness is in order ...we'll see   
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Team Spalding

Took some guts to say it on this site Ed.

I get why he is suspended from the team. Maybe Don is doing you a favor Ed. Racing is more addictive, dangerous and expensive than most drugs. If I decided to sit around and do bongs instead of racing I would have a lot more money and I would have less broken bones and ground down fingers.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Mike829

the bible also says not to use drugs, and to not do a lot of other things which seem fun on the surface but imprison and destroy people, also if you're not a believer the bible won't make much sense to you, in fact it will seem like foolishness to you(it says that too)  i don't want to type a bunch but the short of it is if you represent or teach you keep your household "in order". it seems to me that CSB is just going "by the Book"
Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing

Sobottka

"the book" does cover forgiveness and redemption too.
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

jigs

Schmedley's anyone? Takes sack to man up,I guess I'm confused as in is there some issues with choices,I mean if you were to stop,say now,or have stopped,can you race subject to abstainance,or are you in the middle,not sure if you want to give up smoking...hence being shelved for now?

skiandclimb

I think it comes down to society's rules as much as God's rules.  Currently, we all live in a country where the societal norm is to make marijuana out as a horrible thing.  I think we all know why it was made illegal (look up the historical references if you are unsure) and I think we all agree it is no more harmful than alcohol.  I believe that we will likely see marijuana legalized in our lifetime. But until then- we are supposed to play by the rules, because we live in a ( albeit quasi) civilized society.

Funny thing is that I agree it should be legalized....and I am a cop.  Not because I smoke out, but because I am a big enough person to see the forest for the trees.

Whether it should be legal or not is not the issue here.  The reality is that it currently IS illegal, and I think CSBR is trying to make a statement by their decision.  I bet there are members of CSBR who think it should be legalized (I coud be wrong, but its a possibility) but again, it's not about "what should be"...and more about "what is."

CSBR is on a mission to win over souls for God, through Christ.  As such, I see them as ambassadors, not only for racing, but for God.  If one of their guys is having an issue with an addiction, I firstly- applaud his courage, and also applaud the team for their courage. It couldn't have been an easy decision, ya know???

In the few times I have had the opportunity to meet these guys, I was VERY impressed with the way they presented themselves, and I continue to pray for their success. ]

Maybe they are looking at this like a wound.  IE: if you break your arm, it's not much use to you, right?  Do you continue to use the arm even though it is broken, or do you put the arm in a cast, give it time to heal, and then- after some time, allow the arm to continue its role? Of course you do.

Maybe I'm putting too much into this, as I have only met these guys a few times.  But I think their group is awesome, and respect them all even more now for standing by their convictions.  Just like I respect Eddie more for having the courage to admit it all.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your tent this season, and making chapel services, too!

Cheers!

#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

jigs

OK,just re-read the origional,and you cite still a battle,well,there you have it.I'm sure it saddens the team as well.Good luck to you,there are much worse things,or "sins" if you will.There are many pitfalls and obsessions to battle for sure,and our obsessions and defects of character are creating negative consequences,they certainly need to be dealt with.You are fortunate in that reguard to have a sense of community around you who care and will be there to support you.I repect the Christian religion,I even attend Don's services on Sundays,watch Charles Stanley once a week,I cannot say I am a Christian because I'm one who takes what I need and leave the rest.I do think there are laws activated in the universe,much like gravity,you can't see,touch or feel,but they're there,but I don;t think God is a punishing God,I feel we're punished BY our "sins" not FOR them......if you feel that smoking has caused enough grief,you have ways do deal with it,12 step programs etc.You've got a good head on your shoulders and I wish you all the best bro.

Sklossmonster

QuoteI feel we're punished BY our "sins" not FOR them

That's some powerful stuff right there.  I've always like you, Jigs, but you just went up a couple of notches right there.  Nice insight.
www.TurnOneRacing.com

Burt Munro

Some of you are missing the point here.

* This is not about the validity of why someone was suspended from a Team.   Decisions like this are made for a variety of reasons - some understandable, many times it's a mystery even if you know all the facts.

* This is not about the virtue or justification for smoking pot.   Right or wrong, as of this day it is still illegal in all 50 states to smoke pot for recreational purposes.

*** This IS about Eddie coming clean in front of people he respects that he has a problem.  This IS about an 18 year old kid being more of a man about this than probably 98% of us could have when we were his age.

I know Eddie and know that he's come a long way as a racer from the first weekends when he spent almost as much time off the pavement as he did on it.  I know that from day one Eddie has had mad starting skills that would rival any of the best riders I've seen.  I know that he has a passion for racing and doing the right thing.

*** This IS about Eddie reaching out to a community of people he respects for support and understanding.   

I know that Eddie's a kid that I would be proud to have as a son for all of the above reasons and that he has my 100% support!   :thumb:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

donelf316

Hey all on this post.  Thanks for all of your interest in this topic for Eddie.  I am encouraged by the support Eddie's getting and interested in all the commentary brought on by this topic.  I will address some thoughts on this in 4 paragraphs 1) As a former heavy pot smoking addict 2) As the team owner for CSBR Midwest  3) As Eddie's parent.  4) As the chaplain who serves my racing brothers

1)  As mentioned, I am a former drug addict (clean almost 6 years thank God).  My main form of drug use was heavy pot smoking, and it definitely led me to use cocaine and acid many times.  Some how I was able to escape the grip of cocaine, probably because of the expense and the circles I ran in at the time.  Regarding acid, I remember thinking it was so great that I was actually RECOMMENDING it to people.  Then I had a "bad trip".  The fear associated with that event is barely discussable for me.  Regarding my chronic pot use, I get the "it's not that bad" and "it will soon be legal" arguments.  As an addict, I was all over those.  As I see in my rear view mirror though, I can now count the cost associated with using it.  Unfortunately, I have an addictive personality and it had control over me.  I tell Eddie and my other boy Jon that sure you can decide to use drugs, alcohol, or whatever chemical, yet know that you are deciding to roll the dice.  You may be a lucky one who "enjoys it once in a while" ,or "has control over it", or maybe just didn't care for it.  Yet, What if it takes you over, whatever it is?  By then, you will just HAVE to have it. You're trapped.   Love, people, performance in job or sport...that will all be in second place believe me.  I am married and divorced twice, having now been single for 9 years, a consequence I have learned to accept.  Drugs and real love do not mix.  It's chemically impossible.  

2)  The rules for being a members of CSBR is not to use drugs.  It is immensely reasonable as an owner of expensive dangerous assets to hold their rider to that standard.  Also, as servants for CSBR we are serving people as an ambassador of God and the least we can do is live how we claim to be, or be transparent in our issues so as to be there for others in the case that they may need help.  Now, if someone on the team gets suspended for breaking a rule, that person is far from "a bad guy".  To the contrary,  God wants us AS WE ARE, and we are forgiven for sins.  Eddie is definitely fortgiven, (especially since he has asked for it via his courageous post here)  He is merely a person in life training that needs to make changes if he wants to ride for a team that cares for them and the team mission.    

3)  Eddie is a teenager in training.  How will he be if he goes through something like this and is allowed to stay on the bike for the sake of "how important racing is"?  Is anything  learned?  He gets the opportunity to learn that there are consequences to every action.  Maybe even to learn the truth that there may not be a "right and wrong", yet you can be assured for the rest of his life...there are consequences.  How about this:  Let's say Eddie has the job of his dreams, with everything that goes with it;  great house, great car, great purpose, and a family that depends on him.  He then slips and uses drugs and gets caught and loses the job.  What then?  What does he tell his family?  What does he say to himself when he looks back on this racing experience if he has no consequences this time.  

4)  The apostle Paul tells us that "everything is permissible, - but not everything is beneficial" (1 Cor 10:23).  Also, he tells us to honor God with our bodies.  "Do you not know that your body is a temple? ...you were bought at a price.  Honor God with your bodies." (1 cor 6:19-20) COME ON GUYS!   Be careful here.  Dig deep within yourselves if you are so led and understand this thing about choices.   Indeed the Lord created marijuana, yet ask yourself this question.  Was his intention to only create things that are good for us?  Did he not create earth to give his people choices?  Do we touch poison ivy, or bees, or swim with sharks on purpose?  No! Of course not.  If he created everything to be good and beneficial then we would have to make no choices and in return have no opportunity to experience the freedom we have to choose.  Isn't that the essence of the human experience?  Also, know this.  If we had no freedom to choose, we would surely not choose faith in Him, and He would have no glory to come Him.  

Farmboy

Eddie, this discussion really shouldn't be about right or wrong, good or evil, Christianity vs. Paganism, or any of that.

You're 18, and you're extremely lucky to have the racing opportunities you've been afforded thus far.  (I think that even this is an understatement.)

Most simply, you can either smoke pot, or you can race. Which do you want to do more?

I don't think I'm the only person here who has, and will continue to, make sacrifices large and small in order to race. Foregoing pot seems like a fairly small one. I'd have given a nut to be able to race at 18. I don't regret that I wasn't able to, but if I had, and I'd blown it because I chose to party instead, I'd have plenty of regrets now.

You've improved greatly as a racer in the last 2 seasons. You'll only be young once. You have the benefit of good reflexes, response time, and learning aptitude, not to mention an increased likelihood of walking away from the inevitable get-offs or the quicker recovery times should you actually get hurt. It'd be a real shame if you weren't able to realize your full potential because you like to get stoned. Just think of the natural high you achieve after a race well run; I know if I were given the choice, I'd choose the endorphin rush from racing, hands down, every time.

Good luck, Ed. Get your shit together, and we'll see you out there.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Cowboy 6

Thanks Don for a well thought out and thorough post. The team appreciates you setting the record straight in so many ways.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

chaplain220

Took guts to post this bro Eddie, that's a roadracer's heart.  Courage and control, teammate, works on the track and in life, see you out there again soon.

deltadave

For many reasons, Don and Eddie have both earned my respect and admiration.  When they are at the track, they bring the "spirit" with them.

red900

Eddie,   I still think your a good kid..  As always, Megan and I look forward to seeing you at the track this season.  I wish you strength in your battle. 

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier