Rotella...

Started by skiandclimb, March 11, 2010, 03:34:51 PM

skiandclimb

Thoughts on running Rotella?

Discuss!
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

backMARKr

My dad was a big fan of it in his commercial trucks with big ole Cummins diesels. :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

vnvbandit

Alot of west coast peeps run Rotella T. In fact my son has used it in all his bikes for quite a few years now. There Is alot of discussion about Rotella on many forums.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Super Dave

Sure, ran it in lots of bikes.  Has had zinc in it, but that's starting to change with the new emissions for current diesels.  I believe that boron or boric acid is the replacement.  The Rotella T Synthetic is good too, but it's only a Group III oil.  It's classified as a "synthetic" for marketing reasons because of a court case years ago, but don't mistake it for something that is an actual synthetic.  But, for the cost, it's really good stuff.
Super Dave

skiandclimb

So, is it ok to run in a modern 4 stroke then? I have known many folks who do run it in their bikes, but never knew any official info with regards to it's capabilities vs. high grade racing syn.

The reaosn I ask is a buddy of mine wants to run it in his street bike, and he asked me what I thought.  I told him honestly, that I didn't know all the facts.  His quesitons made me wonder if it would be good to run in my racee bike- hence the post!

Thanks guys!
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Super Dave

Quote from: skiandclimb on March 11, 2010, 05:33:25 PM
So, is it ok to run in a modern 4 stroke then?
Yes.  The oil pressure of modern diesels is in the thousands of PSI on the high pressure oil side of the pump, and Rotella is recognized as a very good oil for that application.   
Super Dave

daviid

ive been using rotella in my SV's for about 2 years now. its great
David | 03 Suzuki SV650 | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

Gixxerblade

Make sure you buy the blue bottle. That's the gooder stuff.

Sklossmonster

I ran the synthetic Rotella T in my race and track bikes for several years with no problems whatsoever. I have a friend who's a petroleum engineer and he told me the OLD synthetic Rotella T was perfectly capable of handing our needs, BUT as Dave mentioned there have been some changes.  According to my friend it's time to switch to actual motorcycle oil.  Now I use the Maxima Race oil.
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Mike829

I can back Skloss up on that, i bought his 750 and continued using the old blue bottle.  after 3 yrs of racing and CR and 5k miles between us it started missing the occasional shift so i had it opened up over the winter and it only had rounding on the dogs, everything else looked great.  i have had an engine failure on silkolene, i thought it was great i won free oil then a fresh engine spun a rod bearing in less than 500mi!  i have a 08 cbr which calls for 10-30 so i think i'll go with honda's own synth stuff unless someone has any good ideas????????????????????? anyone want to buy some silkolene?
Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing

Cowboy 6

Silkolene is good oil. Maybe the bearing wasn't clearanced correctly...
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Mike829

What about the new rotella T6? i've seen some internet buzz over its new JASO MA rating which a wetclutch requirement???
Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing