Daytona Spec tires (Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop) for Endurance Race

Started by Carnag3, January 16, 2010, 10:19:10 PM

Carnag3

What tire compound/brand do you run at Daytona?
Does Michelin sell a special tire for Daytona or only Dunlop?
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

MELK-MAN

2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

600killer

I
Quote from: MELK-MAN on January 17, 2010, 12:21:18 AM
only Dunlop, but on 600cc bikes tires have not been a big issue.

You think any of them will hold up for the 2hour race???

red900

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

GregGorman

I used a medium compound Dunlop front (not a Daytona specific tire) for 6 practice sessions at Daytona last year.  It lasted 24 laps before going flat on the 25th lap.  The plies of the tire separated allowing the air to escape.  Don't screw around with tires at Daytona, it's a different beast.  I'd suggest you email Steve Brubaker steve@dunlopracing.com, or any other distributor that sells there on a regular basis, and get real answers about Daytona and tires. 

DEVINC

So what does one do that rides on Michelin tires with a 1000cc bike (or any bike that could have a problem at Daytona with non-Daytona tires)? Do you just have to pay close attention to your tires and probably have to change them alot more often than you normally would? I don't ride a 1000cc just curious also.

I heard at least one expert if not more got permission from Michelin to switch to Dunlop for some races at Daytona in October because he couldn't get his Michelins to work well enough for him. I think it was in the RRW coverage of the ROC.

Carnag3

Can you run the Michelin C rear tire for the endurance race or are they too soft?
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

MELK-MAN

call a michelin tire distributor.. I suspect the C may do the trick, but not sure as i have never ran it. It is an endurance tire.

apriliaman

As long as i have been running pirelli i never had a problem at daytona about tires. My bike has 90-95hp and not 160hp that maybe why?? With my type of bike in the moto-st races you can go 4hrs easy,On a SV 650 people went the whole 8hrs.If your on a 170hp 1000,that will be a different story.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MELK-MAN

Quote from: apriliaman on January 20, 2010, 09:42:26 AM
As long as i have been running pirelli i never had a problem at daytona about tires. My bike has 90-95hp and not 160hp that maybe why?? With my type of bike in the moto-st races you can go 4hrs easy,On a SV 650 people went the whole 8hrs.If your on a 170hp 1000,that will be a different story.

The only regular issue that comes up is on the big bikes.. If you have 90-95 hp you should be able to ride all day at Daytona..

Rick Johnson 29

Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

red900

It depends on your pace.  In 5 lap sprints, on 186hp Gsxr 1000, I used a set of pirelli's per race.  Expensive, but I won every race.  The front tires would have gone 2 or 3 races, but the I smoked the left side of the rear climbing the banking every time.... 

If you are a front runner, then you will do what you have to do to win, But if you are just going to have the experience, your tires will last quite a bit longer.
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

LMsports

Quote from: red900 on January 20, 2010, 10:29:48 PM
  In 5 lap sprints, on 186hp Gsxr 1000, I used a set of pirelli's per race.  Expensive, but I won every race. 

Red900 is awesome!!!
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

red900

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Rick Johnson 29

This is my first year in expert so I will not be in the front.
How about the Bridgestones 003's? Anyone tried those at Daytona on a liter bike?
Rick Johnson
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

red900

Rick, have you tried the new Pirelli 190/60 rear tire?  Its the cats ass on a liter bike.  They just came available august of 09.  They are revamped compounds that last longer and bite better than the previous sc2 and sc1.  In addition, the 60 series profile boasts an increased patch size of about 15-20%, which translates to more grip!  I would not be surprised to see that green compound last a couple sprints at daytona.  You should give it a try, the turn in is much fast as well. 

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Rick Johnson 29

No I haven't. I ran the Stones all last year but think I'll go back with Pirelli. I hope they have the 190/60 for sale at Daytona. Do you know if they will? Is this a dot tire or just slicks or both? I'm doing 3 Sprints the GTO and ASRA qualifying and Supersport race. I guess I should plan on 2 rears for sure. Do you think one front will last for all these races and 12min qualifying?
Rick Johnson

red900

I think you could get away with that.  I am sure they will have some there but as always it is best to call ahead about 3wks and have them put your name on exactly what you want. 

Check out the Pirelli racer forum at   diabloracer.com

Dustin
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Rick Johnson 29

Rick Johnson

cincykid

Hi! Newbie to CCS forum, nomrally hanging over at another race forum W*$A.  My first post here.  I raced with CCS a couple of times a LONG time ago but have been racing endurance in another organization for years.  Really looking forward to running Daytona with you guys. (myself and Gap-Man).  I ran Bridgestones for the past 6 years on an SV but am now running an '09 gsxr 600 in endurance with a complete endurance setup.  Due to the fact that Daytona is new to me I called both Stick boy with Bridgestone and Bru with Dunlop.  Bru said the only way to go is with the Dunlop Daytona tire which they only will be selling out of their paddock at the track.  Stick said I would be okay with the hard compound DOT Race 003's.  SO, due to cost, I think i am going to run the Bridgestone's for practice on Friday and see how they handle before spending the change on the Dunlops.  Both said the cold TIRE PRESSURE is the key factor because your contact patch on the outer part of the track goes from 1 1/2" down to 1/2" and the tire needs to dissipate all the heat over the entire tire and if it doesnt, thet one patch will disappear real fast!  We are just racing for fun and the experience of Daytona dn meeting other racers from another group, but I just want to be SAFE!!  Looking forward to meeting you all for the TC!
WERA Expert #38
Endurance Junkie
2009 GSXR 600
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
2002 HD Superglide

LMsports

Before the spec tire came into being with the AMA, the last couple Daytona 200 winners and some other podium finishers were on Pirelli's. To me it shows that the Pirelli is more than competent to handle the rigors of Daytona while providing excellent performance.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Graham