Michelin Power One vs Michelin Power Race

Started by Carnag3, January 12, 2010, 05:53:21 PM

Carnag3

First year I'm going to run Michelin's in races. What are the differences between the One and Race?

I know the Race have been replaced by the Ones, but how did the Race hold up during races? Who ran them this year? Is it even worth it to run the Race anymore since the One's have come out?

I guess the One's are dual compound and only come in soft/medium/soft or????  What psi do you recommend running them at?

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated :)
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

Super Dave

The Power One's were really the development that happened from production tires in 2003/2004 and MotoGP.  But there was some kind of production problem that was enviornmentally based.  So, the Power Race's were produced between the S2/M2 series and the Power One's.  The Power Race's got better over time, but, really, if you're going to race, give yourself more room for making errors with the newer, better tire for insurance.  22psi is the general tire pressure for the rear, front, I can't remember, but it's usually in that 30 to 32 range. 

There are some that have experimented with different tire pressures too.  Hopefully, they might chime in on that soon, but their results might not be the same as yours.  Talking to the local Michelin race distribution guy in your area should yield some more answers too.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

PR good.. Power1 WAY better.
may all your prayers be answered! Posted in your other thread on the other site too.. LOTS of fast guys (and gals) going VERY FAST on the new Power1 tires.

INFO ON NEW Power 1 tires...
POWER 1 tires (info)
FRONTS
all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires and are 5 ply tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
compounds would be 4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.
compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
-all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
-all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
-the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
- the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
-THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge
-ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to STILL WORK ! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
The slicks are out right now! the old 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" - 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line. MULTI COMPOUND (still hard middle, but one side is softer than the other, softer side has a "-" and harder side has "+"

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders. There is less area of soft sides on these, 75% of the middle is 7 or hard, with only 12.5% on each side being the "3" or softer compound.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Carnag3

Quote from: MELK-MAN on January 12, 2010, 09:55:39 PM
PR good.. Power1 WAY better.
may all your prayers be answered! Posted in your other thread on the other site too.. LOTS of fast guys (and gals) going VERY FAST on the new Power1 tires.

INFO ON NEW Power 1 tires...
POWER 1 tires (info)
FRONTS
all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires and are 5 ply tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
compounds would be 4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.
compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
-all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
-all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
-the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
- the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
-THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge
-ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to STILL WORK ! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
The slicks are out right now! the old 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" - 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line. MULTI COMPOUND (still hard middle, but one side is softer than the other, softer side has a "-" and harder side has "+"

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders. There is less area of soft sides on these, 75% of the middle is 7 or hard, with only 12.5% on each side being the "3" or softer compound.
Made my life so much easier.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

DEVINC

Super Dave

Thanks, Greg!  Thought you might see this and put up the data.   :thumb:
Super Dave

Ducati23

I ran the asymetric 16.5s last season. It was nice to have grip on the side with less heat in it. Cool idea and it works.  :thumb:
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

MELK-MAN

no problem Dave, had the info posted on the JenningsGP site but gave me a good excuse to update the 16.5" tire info now that they are out. Like Ducati23, hoping to try them soon..!

R1Racer99

Will Michelin have some better slicks this year? According to my Michelin guy the slicks in 2009 were no better than the Power Ones so I never tried them, but he said they should have something new soon. Any info?

benprobst

Quote from: R1Racer99 on January 14, 2010, 05:36:58 AM
Will Michelin have some better slicks this year? According to my Michelin guy the slicks in 2009 were no better than the Power Ones so I never tried them, but he said they should have something new soon. Any info?

Its been a long time since anyone has had slicks much better than their dot's in the same wheel size. All of the money and development is in the DOT process and slicks are normally the after thought and brought out the following year or just in conjuction with a new DOT. The Michelin slicks had their advantages over the power ones last year and will again next year, but its hard to justify switching back and forth and missing out on all of the set up info and development process throughout the year.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

MELK-MAN

17" slicks ? I have my first set of NEW Power1 16.5" michelin power1 slicks mounted now but have not used em. I will say even the OLD (like 10 year old technology) FRONT Michelin 420 slick was better than the DOT "C" we ran prior to the new POwer1 tires. There has not been a ton of data submitted for the new 16.5 tires as not that many riders used em.. the new V front and Power1 rear choices were that good.. Im one that likes to try everything so ill report back. ? I do know early in 2009 Chris Ulrich did a write up in RRW on all the new Power1 tires. The 16.5" slicks were mounted up on a cbr1000 and he wrote he could not get in trouble at all with the stock 1k with those slicks, and they already had some laps on em..

red900

RRW is a joke when it comes to comparo.  I can show you 4 different articles last year praising each of the tires brands.  It's always political when one day one of those companies may be giving you tires....

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier