CBR issues

Started by racenrub, December 24, 2009, 05:25:17 PM

racenrub

Having a hard time getting a salvage bike to fire up, it's an 06 cbr600 looks like it was just the plastics that total'd it out. I've replaced the gas, checked over all the wiring and fuses and haven't found a problem that sticks out. The starter turns it over just fine when i have the charger on it's junk battery, but it just dosn't want to fire. Have any ideas for me? :banghead:............................Anyone know any good suspension starting points for a 180lb rider also.  Please and thank you.
There's always worse things then dying

vnvbandit

Check the tip-over switch
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

racenrub

forgive the question here....but, is there actually a switch or just have to check wiring. Also this is on the left lower side of the bike correct also i just thought of it that i don't hear the fuel pump go when i turn the key on......i'm a motocrosser in a sportbike world.

Jason748

The sensor is in the nose, just in front/below the gauges, between the head lights.  It should be plugged in (3 wire plug) and there's an arrow on it to make sure it's facing the correct way (round side down).  A little info on it here, as well as how to mount it directly to the stock fairing stay:  http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,19651.0.html

Also if you're not hearing you're fuel pump kick on with the key, also check the pump relay & the kill switch too.

As far as suspension - trash the stock shock & have the forks re-sprung for you're weight.  Stock springs on the 05/06 are good for about a 140lb rider...
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

F2RGK

That Dead battery isn't helping things either!
If you're not Smilin' while you're ridin', then QUIT!

Super Dave

Side stand switches too.  All interrelated...
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I was thinking about this and wanted to toss this out there: with the bikes I've had if the kick stand switch was causing the problem it wouldn't even allow the engine to turn over (for example on my 1st race bike I had my bypass for this switch fail while I was in a race and the bike completely died and wouldn't turn over the starter as a result), isn't that the same situation with a tip-over switch? Both of those devices are electronic disconnects so I figured they completely inhibited the ability of the bike to even engage the starter, unlike a mechanical device which could prohibit some unique feature of the engines operating system from functioning without effecting electronics.  :ahhh:

As for the problem I would 1st determine if it's fuel or electronics related, I would definately check and see if all your spark plugs are firing.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Tornado Bait

On my 2005 cbr the sidestand switch wouldn't let the bike turn over (but only if it was in gear) so in this case I think we can rule it out.  The bank angle sensor just kills the fuel so the bike will still crank.  Based on the report that fuel pump is not priming it is most likely the bank angle sensor or a fuse/relay in the pump circuit.  The bank angle sensor can be removed for trouble shooting purposes with a jumper wire shorted across the two outside wires IIRC.  Should be red/white to brown, been too long to remember the color code for sure, either way make sure you don't short to green/ground because you'll blow a fuse.  The key here sounds like the pump.  When you turn the switch on you should hear it prime while the gauges initialize.  Once you get that resolved I'd bet it will fire.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

racenrub

By the sounds of what jason has been telling me i'm bout 99% positive it'll b the TOS for the simple fact that it's missing due to the crash that made it a salvage bike :rollseyes:   Plus i have no gauges at the moment so i guess i'll be buying both and see what happens then. thanks for everyones input :thumb:

Tornado Bait

The bike will start without gauges and you can bypass the sensor.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

Knightslugger

Quote from: racenrub on December 26, 2009, 03:57:52 PM
By the sounds of what jason has been telling me i'm bout 99% positive it'll b the TOS for the simple fact that it's missing due to the crash that made it a salvage bike :rollseyes:   Plus i have no gauges at the moment so i guess i'll be buying both and see what happens then. thanks for everyones input :thumb:

sounds like you got it licked then. let us know if the problems continue... between Jason and myself we should be able to help you pretty well.

Andrei

gauge is only useful to monitor oil pressure and temperature indicators.  That said I run the bike w/o gauge connected.

I'd highly recommend NOT to by pass the TOS unless you are planning to keep the bike rubber side down all the time.  It never happens to most of the people around here. If you lay the bike down and throttle gets stuck open , you will have to kiss your motor goodbye.
787ex