Tranny Help

Started by MightyDuc Racing, April 08, 2003, 09:44:34 AM

MightyDuc Racing

Posted a while back on my buddy's 92 EX500 tranny jumping into neutral when decelerating. We bought the pro-Tec upgrade retention spring and installed it this weekend. The bike quit jumping out of gear, but still has a little slip as you decelerate. All of a sudden today the bike is stuck in 2nd gear. Any ideas as to why and/or suggextions to fix. He only paid $900 for the bike, so not looking to dump a bunch of money into it. Anybody got a used EX500 tranny for sale cheap??? Help.

TIA

MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Jeff

Couldn't tell for sure without taking it apart, but I'd guess that the gear dogs are worn, or a shift fork is bent.  (most likely betting on the dogs though).

Transmission parts are CHEAP.  Even new, they're cheap.  However, the labor will kill you...

If you (or your friend) has the ability to read and comprehend english, I'd tell you to pick up a service manual and repair it yourselves...  

If you're not into repairing it yourself, you're probably better off with a new motor since the labor to replace it would likely exceeed the cost of a new motor...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

MightyDuc Racing

We were kinda planning on fixing it ourselves.  If not...any idea how much for a new or used motor for that bike?  TIA
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

K3 Chris Onwiler

$500 is a good bet.  Probably $200 for parts if you tear it down and fix it yourself.  Gear dogs, and the fork may have been bent from the jumping in and out.  Biggesr dollar part it the shift drum.  Look to see if the groove that the fork rides in hasn't chipped where it comes to a point.  6 hours in and out if you had the parts, but you won't know what to buy until you strip it.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

motodirty

You could also check the bearings in the Transmission cause when they get too worn out the trans likes to get stuck in gear!  

unforgivenracing

DID you say you checked the clutch?  :-/ And it was ok? ???  How about the preassure line from the crank case.  Is it pluged? ;)
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

MightyDuc Racing

Got it unstuck, but it still likes to jump out of gear.  If he keeps his foot on the shifter in 2nd, it stays in.  I'm guessing that means it's the shift fork is worn out, right?  He's just gonna leave it and sell the bike before too long for something faster.  He only bought it as a first bike to learn on, and has gotten a lot better in the last month or so.  As soon as money allows, I think it's time for a better bike for him.  Only paid $900 for it, and already has a friend that wants to buy it in a few months.  Thanks again for all the help! :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

dylanfan53

If you're still around and looking for a reason for this problem, it's that the EX bushings (and SV for that matter) are crap and allow the gears to wobble to the point that the dogs wear and jump out of gear.  The shift kits are only  a stronger spring and a bandaid that won't last long if at all.  Once this begins, the only real solution is to remove the tranny, replace the bushings and undercut the gears. DAMHIK.
Don Cook
CCS #53