News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Contingency Q;

Started by Noidly1, December 09, 2009, 01:27:12 AM

Noidly1

I was told that we have to claim the $ on our taxes.

Will I get a tax form from them?
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

HAWK

Actually it would be a 1099. Bridgestone doesn't issue one. The sponsor declares it so it could conceivably get back to you.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Noidly1

Fixed it. Thanks.

Crap... I don't remember how much I got from Bridgestone this year.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Burt Munro

Not sure if contingency money is handled the same as other 1099's. 

I get small amounts of income from a number of different sources and was always told that a 1099 won't be issued unless the $$$ amount is over $600.00 for the year.  If a 1099 isn't issued then you don't have to claim the income on your taxes.

Then again, I'm not a tax attorney!   Your mileage may vary!    :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

funsizeracing

My bank sent me a 1099 for $26 last year.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

ahastings

It varies. Some companies do and  some don't. If they pay you in cash and it is over $600, then they are required to generate a 1099 misc., Becka what you got from your bank is a 1099 int. that is a little different. A 1099 misc is used for business or hobby income, the 1099 int. is for claiming interest income.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

funsizeracing

Quote from: ahastings on December 09, 2009, 09:14:00 AM
It varies. Some companies do and  some don't. If they pay you in cash and it is over $600, then they are required to generate a 1099 misc., Becka what you got from your bank is a 1099 int. that is a little different. A 1099 misc is used for business or hobby income, the 1099 int. is for claiming interest income.
Thanks for the clarification  :thumb:  Taxes typically have me as confused as suspension settings.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

roadracer162

Do you still get a 1099 if you didn't get cash and received contingency certificates? It's more of a discount than anything else. Michelin may be a little different where credit dollars is issued to a card. Anyone have any info?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Greeny

fwiw, i know that pirelli had me fill out a w-9 and they issue tire credits directly onto an amex rewards card. 

Team Spalding

I have been thinking about a 1098 to replace my 1125. Just looking for a good deal.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

ahastings

Quote from: skidMARK on December 09, 2009, 11:40:02 AM
Do you still get a 1099 if you didn't get cash and received contingency certificates? It's more of a discount than anything else. Michelin may be a little different where credit dollars is issued to a card. Anyone have any info?

Mark
Unfortunately Pirelli does send them out, at least they have in the past even though you are only getting tire credits and not cash. Other then that the only ones I have recieved 1099s from were ones that actually paid cash.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Burt Munro

Quote from: Whitebuell on December 09, 2009, 12:44:24 PM
I have been thinking about a 1098 to replace my 1125. Just looking for a good deal.
Does that require you to fill out a Foreign Investment tax form?
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Noidly1

Quote from: skidMARK on December 09, 2009, 11:40:02 AM
Do you still get a 1099 if you didn't get cash and received contingency certificates? It's more of a discount than anything else.
Mark
That's what I thought. More like coupons than anything.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX