Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

tstruyk

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 08, 2009, 02:31:32 AM
Gonna have to pass on both.  I've got a swim meet at Mizzou Sat. and Sun.

Give Papa Roach my regards on Sunday!   :cheers:

youre gonna pass on the open bar sat and Breaking Benjamin/Poppa Roach/Sick Puppies sunday to hang out with dudes in Speedos?????
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Knightslugger

Quote from: DEVINC on December 08, 2009, 02:29:37 PM
I think HJC won't test your helmet because of the fear of lawsuits because they don't have enough faith in their own product as it is.

i don't know if that's it or not. Like i said, it a good business practice to tell all your customers to just junk them and buy new one. you sell a lot of helmets, you don't spend very much money in litigation or liability, no testing equipment or extra salaries to pay for, and you help the entire industry stay afloat all at the same time!

In a capitalist society, very few corporations and retailers are actually pro-consumer. they are in it to move product and fill payrolls.

that's what i think anyway.

roadracer162

I think you had already had the answer before you asked your question. If you are asking replace it. You can spend $500 on a new helmet or $500,000 in medical bills. The older you get the higher your mortality rate goes up in a head trauma incident.

The structure of the helmet whether the hard shell or the inner EPS is designed hopefully to absorb shock and not transmit it to the werer's head. Your helmet has received some shock even if it is minor in nature. Damage can be seen and sometimes unseen. This damage indicates there was an event which could be minor. There are others that have crashed on better equipment and suffered severe injuries and death.

I would say that the environment of racing is different than a track day only because of your decision to probably, try a little harder to go a little faster. It is reasonable to say that the potential of you crashing will be higher given the circumstance of competition, not to say you won't be smart, stay calm and ride you would a track day.

Does it pass tech? I wouldn't put my stamp on it and take on the liability of your health and well being.

It is your head and your life, you be the judge.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

eboos

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
In a capitalist society, very few corporations and retailers are actually pro-consumer. they are in it to move product and fill payrolls.

that's what i think anyway.

This could be a whole 'nother topic. The best companies realize that by being pro-consumer, they can more easily move product and fill payrolls.

Wow, this is more alive then this board has been in months.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

Knightslugger

Quote from: eboos on December 08, 2009, 03:41:37 PM
This could be a whole 'nother topic. The best companies realize that by being pro-consumer, they can more easily move product and fill payrolls.

Yes it could! We're on the same page here. The best companies also sell a premo product, at a premo price. their customer base is smaller but their profit dollars are just about the same as the common names (HJCA for example) for a variety of reasons. lower overhead, fewer employees, etc... But they can't afford to loose their customer base so they expand their customer service (or move in a pro-consumer direction). While they would certainly LIKE to see the unit numbers HJCA enjoys annually, they recognize that they could not possibly do that while keeping their black ink percentage as high as it is. they would produce as many helmets as HJC, but no one would buy them in the quantities HJC does, not at their premo price. They'd soon have to buy a different color pen...

QuoteWow, this is more alive then this board has been in months.

it was not intentional, i assure you. though the best threads on ze webz usually surround beaten to death topics... or controversial ones.

Farmboy

Why are we so worried about this guy's helmet? He's obviously retarded, so what does it matter if his brain is protected?

Knightslugger, wear your helmet. It's fine. Moreover, I have 3 more "slightly scratched" helmets on the shelf in my garage which I'll sell you for a song when you need a back-up (if you still have cognitive function, that is.)

By the way, what is "Knightslugger"? Like a Dungeons & Dragons thing?
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Knightslugger

no, it was the first two words taken out of a dictionary, if you really must know the etymology of my user name.

at least i'm respectful.

bwebb43

I didn't read the whole thread , but from what I did read,  just buy a new Helmet already .
Life , Taking one corner at a time .

K3 Chris Onwiler

I had a beautiful Suomy and crashed in it.  This was a bikes hit bikes and we all fell down deal.  The crash wasn't really violent and i got right up.  There was a smudge of rubber on the lid and nothing more.  I wiped the rubber off with my finger and the lid was new again.  I pulled the liner and saw no damage.  Naturally, I continued to use the helmet.  Later, I saw the Suomy tech and asked him to examine it.  He pulled the liner and said, "My God, you're not still wearing this, are you?"

Lesson learned?  I'm not a helmet tech...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Farmboy

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 07:39:50 PM
no, it was the first two words taken out of a dictionary, if you really must know the etymology of my user name.

at least i'm respectful.

Ah, so now it's a battle of wits. Be careful, I'm part Sicilian. However, I still don't get it. taken out at random?

So, you're 2 "R"s...  It's not disrespect, but rather, irreverence. Besides, someone as seemingly dumb as you must get this sort of thing all the time. Don't take it the wrong way; you might turn out to be a fun guy. You certainly are a glutton for abuse..
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

George_Linhart

Quote from: George_Linhart on December 07, 2009, 10:26:39 AM
With all due respect - if you already made up your mind on this, why bother to ask the question?

We tried to give you advice and guidance, both from a tech inspection perspective as well as from a big picture perspective.  You don't like the answer and dismiss it  because it differs from your belief...  I just don't get the purpose of posting her to start.

Let us know if there is any advice you need where you have not made up your mind and are willing to listen.

Geoge

I've always wanted to quote myself.

I just figure its time to revisit this question from page 1.

George

Burt Munro

Quote from: eboos on December 08, 2009, 03:41:37 PM
Wow, this is more alive then this board has been in months.
Don'cha just love the off-season!  :thumb:

And Knightslugger, I look forward to meeting you next Spring.  I'll be sure to introduce you to my friend Larry Manor.  He's the Head Tech Inspector for the Midwest Region.  Just about everybody on this board has had the pleasure of having a friendly conversation or two with Larry.  Either in the Midwest Region or at Daytona. Larry's a real 'no grey area' kind of guy so you two should hit it off instantly!   :thumb:    :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!