News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Suggestion for new classes

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, November 29, 2009, 11:26:13 AM

HAWK

OK, flame thrower set on light candle mode.....

If say class X regularly has 8 entries but one of those racers has an older bike and he goes to the 10 class now Class X has 7 entries. If sponsor Y pays 2 deep for 5 entries and 3 deep for 8 entries then the final podium spot will no longer get contingency money. If I was a podium regular in class X I might feel a little, I believe you put it, raped by the new class

Also the whole new class discussion tends to include the elimination of some other class which tends to put the riders in that class very much on the defensive as well. As has been mentioned, many of the bikes of which you speak have been trickling into Thunderbike and ULW as well
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Farmboy

Quote from: backMARKr on December 10, 2009, 11:26:42 PM

Jim,

To achieve "Rick Weaver Professional Shit Disturber" status...you must achieve shitdisturbingness within no more than 2 lines of text. At this point, you are just a glorified comer....
got to get those tomes you are writing in check. :biggrin:

btw....congrats on the championship kudos in RRW.....got my copy yesterday.

FISH ON!

Yeah, Mark,I don't see that happening.

And thanks! I saw it last Fri at my shop; I walked in and they were all smiles and shit, and I ask "What?"
so they say "did you see it?" and I was like "Cool, but don't I look like a total cheesedick in the podium pic?" and they go "Naw, you just look totally happy". Word! Definitely a memento for the season.

You coming to the MW banquet? Cause I've hung with you when YOU were drunk, but we haven't gotten drunk together...

Quote from: HAWK on December 11, 2009, 12:26:51 AM
OK, flame thrower set on light candle mode.....

If say class X regularly has 8 entries but one of those racers has an older bike and he goes to the 10 class now Class X has 7 entries. If sponsor Y pays 2 deep for 5 entries and 3 deep for 8 entries then the final podium spot will no longer get contingency money. If I was a podium regular in class X I might feel a little, I believe you put it, raped by the new class

Also the whole new class discussion tends to include the elimination of some other class which tends to put the riders in that class very much on the defensive as well. As has been mentioned, many of the bikes of which you speak have been trickling into Thunderbike and ULW as well

Paul, nicely put.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

roadracer162

So I finally read some of the middle pages of this thread. My conclusion is that we do away with all classes and run one big class where every bike is legal. No need for parity just run what you brung and if you can't afford it then it is your choice not to run.

Statistics can be deceptive especially wen it is read for one point. My real life example is in one of my track day crashes and at the ER the Trauma Doc tells me, "motorcycle are dangerous and you should wear a helmet". My guess is he never read my chart. He also remarked based on his statistics that he has, "cut off many a motorcyclist limbs". I pondered the thought and came to my own conclusion. Being in the EMS field I respond to many a call to find someone that has died on the toilet. What conclusion should I draw from that. I can't dispute the numbers but I wonder if the numbers could paint a picture with more accuracy. For example how many times did that Bimota win as compared to  to the amount of times it entered a race. Is there a Bimota that is legal for Ultralight? One more thing on Statistics; I would love to see numbers of participation in past years where the economy was good and the previous years where it wasn't as great. Seems like to me that participation was down even when the financial situation was good.

In the end I gotta side with Ducmarc on this one, "this thread is hopeless".

Competitive for me is racing Marc Miller's $5500 ebay special Ducati 748 and have a chance at the (roughly) $100,000 Bimota or $60,000 Ducati.

Thunderbike could be loosely based on Lightweight but I was of the impression it was also Heavyweight Sportsman. The "10" class is more like the Sportsman classes I would think.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

DEVINC

:pop:

Quote from: skidMARK on December 11, 2009, 02:19:13 PM
Competitive for me is racing Marc Miller's $5500 ebay special Ducati 748 and have a chance at the (roughly) $100,000 Bimota or $60,000 Ducati.

Hell ya Mark. Do it!  :cheers:

As someone who is new to this and this also doesn't affect me as my bike is a 2007, I think that K3 makes great points and has a really good idea. I also think though that alot of you other make great points too. I agree with Ducmarc as in this thread being hopeless. Unfortunately for ones that would benefit from this class, it seems like the most appropriate answer for this at this time is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (is that a way to put it that makes sense?) That is what seems to strike me. Just my .02 cents

roadracer162

You are right on that one Devin. The other default answer is, "if you want to be competitive then buy a bike that is competitive".

As for me I like to see different bikes out there. I would like to see the old TZ of Henry DeGouw make some passes around the roadrace course. It's not only about who is the better rider but who can put the best package together. I just know that my 1988 FZR400 with whaever I do to it just isn't gonna stack up against a 1000 anything.

Maybe we should go on displacement alone and if your 1000 isn't fast enough to keep up then "buy one that will".

I just know we can't fix it with this thread, but I am sure the leaders of the organization look at it and sometimes, maybe just sometimes they go HUH!

As Ducamarc has said to me, "maybe we are part of the problem trying to race this 748 in the LW GP class. I did surprisingly well this past weekend turning some pretty fast times(for me) at Homestead-incidentally in front of Mr Elliott. I guess I may have convinced them to keep the 748 out of Lightweight.

After-thought: Since the SV(Suzuki) has been so dominant in all classes why was it made legal for Ultralight?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

HAWK

Because the displacement limit for LW liquid cooled twins went up to 800cc (non-desmo)
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: skidMARK on December 11, 2009, 02:19:13 PM
Being in the EMS field I respond to many a call to find someone that has died on the toilet.
I don't care what you race, if it decreases your odds of dying on the toilet, that simply HAS to be a good thing...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Ducmarc

so the 1.33 with a 5 might have shot us down?   seriously i would have liked to talked to Kevin if i would had known he was there.  with his stats we must be a red state all the lightweight races have been won down here by either a bimota or a ducati except for Steve on the 2 stroke. ultralight has a little more variety only because you have been draggin ass . and i can't remember when someone has shown up with a buell even with a payout.   looked like we have already stacked the races up enough already.  unless your going to run on sat. not sure when your going to race another class. it also looks like most of the "entry level " riders are in middle and heavyweight since we had so many middleweight amateurs that there was odd and even practice.   either grid with the practice times or pay for a dyno

HerbigCBR

Quote from: Ducmarc on December 11, 2009, 10:52:45 PM
it also looks like most of the "entry level " riders are in middle and heavyweight since we had so many middleweight amateurs that there was odd and even practice.

So are the lightweight grids getting smaller because more people are starting out in middleweight and heavyweight?
Or have the middleweight and heavyweight classes stayed the same and lightweight grids shrunk over the years?
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE

roadracer162

I am not sure if the lightweight group has shrunk but I would venture to say that all have shrunk. I believe that the AM were split because they tends to crash more(I kid).

There are more new riders on inline 600's than in the lightweight rank. I think more from opportunity than anything else. A new rider on the street will purchase a 600 and then do some track days, then go onto racing using the only bike they have. No need to go get another $1500 ten year old bike because it just ain't competitive. "I wanna win after-all".

Some more numbers are needed to answer that accurately.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Ducmarc

that's what i'm thinking more people start now with a 600 on the street then knock the lights off and go to a trackday then decide to go racing. the people on the street who are riding a lightweight are either old or looking for gas mileage.it's us cheap guys who are trying to run lightweight    but lightweight an't cheap no more   i hear though that kevin has nixed all movement for the 748 or 996 into other classes