News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Making the Jump from Trackdays to Racing

Started by LMsports, November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: funsizeracing on November 04, 2009, 05:30:14 PM
Ever noticed how an addict gets defensive and angry when someone tells them they have a problem?  See any of that here?
%#$& you Becka!  I don't have a problem!  YOU have the %$#@ing problem!  I can quit any time I want!  MInd your own %$#@ %$#@ @#$% buisness!

8^D 8^D 8^D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

skiandclimb

I, for one, see way more positives about trackdays than negative. Our local club hosts the events at GIR, and I must say that I get alot out of participating.  But that enjoyment is not just in riding the track....it is in doing the set up the night before...throwing bales, setting up airfence, coning off the parking lot, etc.  It's also in seeing good friends, bench racing and above all- helping new people get into the mix.  Our club does a Test The Track feature, and we have reaped huge rewards for it.  As a control rider, I have had the opportunity to see a street rider come out and complete a two session TTT event.  Then watch that same rider come back for a full trackday and watch them go up through the ranks.  A few of those have also completed a racer's clinic, and are now licensed CCS racers.....which is something we all should appreciate, given the low grid sizes.

When I began racing, there were no track days. You showed up saturday and did the clinic all day.  On Sunday- you gridded up and either did well, or got out of the sport completely.  Trackdays allow someone a chance to ease into racing, IMHO.

Yes, there can be cliques, as was mentioned, but such is life....and is found everywhere.  We have a phenominal turnout for our events, and I like to think that is due to the devoted club members, who truly care about sharing their passion for the track.  Perhaps some TD organizations just differ, and that's where some of the animosity comes from???

I absolutely LOVE gridding up for a race.  I love the comradery, the bullshitting, the bench racing, the taunting, the inherent humor of a race weekend.  But personally, I feel I get more out of this sport when I get to tow a newbie around, then watch them link it all together for the first time....THAT is the best reward for me.

Anywho, I digress.  Good discussion here!

Cheers,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

roadracer162

So now I wonder based on what you stated if the low race grids are a result of the advent of the track day growing more popular. I have been noticing the remark of many a rider/track day participant saying that they will do a few more track days to become competitive before trying their hands at racing. What if they nver become competitive? Do they ever go racing even if they can't do the lap times of the other amateurs?

It seems that when there were no track days the grids were good. When the nations financial health was good the grids still weren't as full as time of the past. It also seems there are more track days than ever and the race grids get smaller. With this trend i seem to be the only one participating and in time I will win all the ROC championships.

Or is it that track days are the feeder system for racing. I don't know. If I were a man of statistics one might come to the conclusion that track days keep riders from racing. There seems to be so many track day riders that could be racing and don't.

Cost? Well in the Florida region if you enter two races for $55 each, and practice on Saturday for $75 it is a total of $185. The track days here seems to cost anywhere from $175-$200. Seems like a deal to me to race. Although a Jennings trackday is $105(???) for Mondays. That is a deal.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Skiandclimb, I feel exactly the same way as you do.  BTW, I think that with Gateway, MCRA has come up with the model for our sport's future.  I'll be more involved there in 2010.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Rick Johnson 29

I'm definetly hooked and spend lots of money on racing but I'm not eating ramen noodles.Lol I do prefer to do the Fri. practice before a race because it's mostly skilled racers.However I do enjoy going to a trackday once in awhile to work on some things and just have fun riding with some friends that just don't want to or have the balls to race.Hopefully next year the grids will be better.Either way I'll be out there lining up with the experts for the first time.I look forward to learning more and getting faster.I have set realilistic goals for myself in racing.I hope to reach my goal of running in the top 10 next year in the unlimited class and in the top 5 in 2011 and maybe even a few podiums.Oh yeah I hate winter!
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

duckracer996

I agree with Ski that track days lead you to racing. I have been running the MCRA track days for a few years, but was hesitant to race due to the thought of injury and expense.  I took the clinic and got the license and did my 1st race this year, and I am hooked. But.........Racing is much more expensive than track days, and that will stop some people from moving away from trackdays to racing. effecting the grid size.

roadracer162

Dont get me wrong i like track days also. I agree with all the statements about track days and the benefits they bring. I do believe though that the typical region of racing you may get 1-2 practice sessions in the morning then you race. Do the friday practice day before for another $150 and the costs add up. For me a track day is more dangerous(broke 9 ribs) than the race weekend. Both costs the same for me essentially because I go just as fast during a track day as I do a race weekend. I use the usual tire warmers, race fuel, and assorted accompaniments. Like I have said the Flrida region race weekend includes a Saturday practice day for $75. Or you can do just the races at $55 a pop.

Either way I am glad I can still ride.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.