News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Making the Jump from Trackdays to Racing

Started by LMsports, November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM

George_Linhart

I read the artlicle and my impression was that it focused entirely on the negative.  As I read what was written it seemed to be a condemnation of racers rather than a look at it as taking a trackday and distilling it to a much more pure form.

Me - I Just don't get into trackdays and all the drama queens that frequent that aspect of the sport.  Too many cliques, to much politics of who is who's freind, who thinks they are cool, who has the bike that Nicky Haden farted on at laguna, blah blah blah... Me, well, its all Bull$hit - lets just race.  I would rather finish last in a race than "win" the world traday championship.

I have seen way more positive than negatives in racing.  Guys who you are racing against every weekend that will bust their @$$ all night long to help you put your bike back together just so that they have the chance to beat you fair and square the next morning when the green flag drops - even when a championship is involved.

George

Farmboy

I'd agree to many of the points and examples, but the essay does come off as somewhat negative in regards to the sport. It's definitely cautionary in nature, and like he says, he's fine with that.

The majority of the racers I've met tend to have a very positive attitude about the trials AND tribulations of racing; and moreover, they understand that we do this for FUN. I think most keep this in perspective; however, for the ones who don't, well, they figure it out soon enough.

Edit: George posted while I typed this originally. I just wanted to say: +1000.

Although, I'd like to know who shat in his Wheaties at a track day. Sheesh, George, lighten up....
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

K3 Chris Onwiler

I wrote a novel called Highside which focuses on the positive side.  The cover story of TrackdayMag.com this month is a rather enthusiastic description of racing at Daytona.  The chosen subject matter of this article was intended to be negative.  I can go both ways....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

backMARKr

Quote from: Burt Munro on November 04, 2009, 12:14:53 AM
Finally out of the closet!   :kissy:

Hello! My name is Rick and I am a professional shit disturber!" :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

HAWK

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Cowboy 6

Quote from: George_Linhart on November 03, 2009, 10:17:28 PM
Me - I Just don't get into trackdays and all the drama queens that frequent that aspect of the sport.  Too many cliques, to much politics of who is who's freind, who thinks they are cool, who has the bike that Nicky Haden farted on at laguna, blah blah blah... Me, well, its all Bull$hit - lets just race.  I would rather finish last in a race than "win" the world traday championship.

I have seen way more positive than negatives in racing.  Guys who you are racing against every weekend that will bust their @$$ all night long to help you put your bike back together just so that they have the chance to beat you fair and square the next morning when the green flag drops - even when a championship is involved.

George

Well spoken George. Thanks.

I do believe that the article was more of a reality check to the delusions of grandeur that track day fanatics develop.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Thanks, Cowboy 6.  You nailed my purpose in writing the article.  People should know the down side before they plunge.  Besides, some folks get annoyed by trackday rider who think or even tell people that they are racers.

I was given a Marine Corps. fatigue cap as a gift.  I wore it for about 6 months.  One day, a coworker who had been in the Marines said, "It annoys me to see you wearing that hat because you didn't earn it.  I thought about that for a minute, took the hat off and gave it to him.   
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on November 04, 2009, 09:19:45 AM
Thanks, Cowboy 6.  You nailed my purpose in writing the article.  People should know the down side before they plunge.  Besides, some folks get annoyed by trackday riders who think or even tell people that they are racers.

I was given a Marine Corps. fatigue cap as a gift.  I wore it for about 6 months.  One day, a coworker who had been in the Marines said, "It annoys me to see you wearing that hat because you didn't earn it.  I thought about that for a minute, took the hat off and gave it to him.  

MotoHick

Maybe I missed it within the article, but who says you can only do one or the other? I started with track days a few years ago and once I felt like I could pilot a 600 safely I tried racing. Well yeah, of course I'm hooked, but  that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a track day every once and a while. Hell, about 11 of us rode with Cornerspeed at VIR last Monday and we had a freaking blast. For me variety is key.

funsizeracing

It kind of says "Yes, it's crack, but I'm only going to smoke a little bit.  So it's ok, I don't have a problem"
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

MELK-MAN

Motohick, I don't think it every said you had to do one or the other, or that once you start doing track days you have to go racing. One of the advantages to trackdays, as pointed out in this article, is the massive amount of track time you get. Im with you, i like the variety. Track days sometimes to "relax" and the go racing.
Sure, George would rather race than do track days and that is cool.. racing is his thing. For many just being out there in a safe environment with no cops, curbs, cars, etc. is the ultimate experience. Something that for that day, they get to do what THEY love.
Now, as Chris points out, the new track day rider who thinks they will be the next Nicky Hayden starts lapping all the track day riders and does well riding with the local racers that show up that day.. As he points out, NO WAY will most of your regionl (or higher level) racers put it all out there and ride 100% at the track day ! ain't gonna happen with no winnings or points to gain. So.. the new track day guy gets it in his head "holy shit.. i just stayed on the back of that racer for 1/2 a lap.. i must be awesome"..
I thougth the article was giving everyone in that situation a dose of reality that it is UNLIKELY they posses the talent to be the next factory rider.
At least that was a bit of what i got from it.. To bad we couldn't get a copy of this article laminated for every track holding track days! LOL..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice