Started by LMsports, November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM

LMsports

Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Graham

There wasnt track days when i first started racing.This sport can chew you up and spit you out for sure.But it is what you make of it.And it can be the greatest thing or the worst.One thing i have learned there will always be someone faster than you.I have been raced during a track day and lost,and have him come up to me and say, i got ya.Never told him i was practiceing  no brake drills at the time, lol.

GregGorman

Yeah, people who don't know the beauty of that drill would never believe you anyway!

DEVINC

i've been told one  can be in the 22's at jgp with no brakes on a 600. ss or sb i don't know. eitherway, does that sound true?

MELK-MAN

Having been at this sport/hobby for nearly 7 years, every paragraph rang true. I have witnessed first hand or heard of nearly every situation described in the article, right down to hearing of some reginal riders who turned to illegal drug trade to fund the racing, and the jail time that followed when they got caught.
I have witnessed MANY up and coming riders come and go. What were seen as super-phenoms who only flamed out within a year or 2 after going expert. Not because they lacked the will to go on, but the writing was on the wall.. they were not advancing up the ranks fast enough to justify going broke living a dream.
I have also met some good guys that every year somehow make ends meet racing motorcycles and make a modest living. However, of the thousands of racers i have come in contact with over the years, I can count these guys on less than all 10 fingers.
Im not too ashamed to say that when I started track day riding I thought "ok.. big bucks here I come". The lessons in "how to be humble" were quick to follow once i started racing.. And without a doubt, I have sacrificed business and relationships for the love of racing. No question about it.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

funsizeracing

He makes racing sound like it's a bad thing!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Jason748

Quote from: LMsports on November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM
Comments?

Yea... couldn't K3 pick a better photo for that one, I mean come-on some ya-who on a "illegal" buell   :biggrin:

Good article though. 
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

George_Linhart

That article makes me feel dirty and unclean.  To an outsider it sounds like you would meet a bunch of criminals and degenerates at the track.

I do not think it is how I want to be portrayed.

George

HAWK

The story talks about where it can go if you don't have a healthy respect for it, like anything addictive.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: George_Linhart on November 03, 2009, 03:58:52 PM
That article makes me feel dirty and unclean.  To an outsider it sounds like you would meet a bunch of criminals and degenerates at the track.

I do not think it is how I want to be portrayed.

George
No, no, no!  As the article says, some can be social drinkers and some become alchohloics.  The article is a warning for where racing can take you if you let it, not a gaurantee that you will go there.

Ask around.  I didn't name names (AND NEVER WOULD) but your local long-time racers will know someone who's fallen into every trap listed in that article, no matter where you live and race.  A very famous example of the criminal temptation would be the Wittington Brothers.  They were businessmen who went car endurance racing in IMSA during the 80's.  Eventually, they even bought Road Atlanta.  In the end, they went to jail for running a massive drug smuggling operation.

Racing is what you make of it.  Virtually all my true friends are racers.  I LOVE racing.  Unfortunately, I'm one of the weak ones who can (and has) become a prisoner of the sport.  That's why I've backed away.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

MELK-MAN

To say it portrays racing in a bad light is a bit off the mark. Im pretty sure Chris is putting into words potentially the "dark side" that many slip to as the love for the sport takes over.

dylanfan53

Nothing wrong with a good dose of reality when someone's about to put their savings and health on the line. 

Don Cook
CCS #53

George_Linhart

I read the artlicle and my impression was that it focused entirely on the negative.  As I read what was written it seemed to be a condemnation of racers rather than a look at it as taking a trackday and distilling it to a much more pure form.

Me - I Just don't get into trackdays and all the drama queens that frequent that aspect of the sport.  Too many cliques, to much politics of who is who's freind, who thinks they are cool, who has the bike that Nicky Haden farted on at laguna, blah blah blah... Me, well, its all Bull$hit - lets just race.  I would rather finish last in a race than "win" the world traday championship.

I have seen way more positive than negatives in racing.  Guys who you are racing against every weekend that will bust their @$$ all night long to help you put your bike back together just so that they have the chance to beat you fair and square the next morning when the green flag drops - even when a championship is involved.

George

Farmboy

I'd agree to many of the points and examples, but the essay does come off as somewhat negative in regards to the sport. It's definitely cautionary in nature, and like he says, he's fine with that.

The majority of the racers I've met tend to have a very positive attitude about the trials AND tribulations of racing; and moreover, they understand that we do this for FUN. I think most keep this in perspective; however, for the ones who don't, well, they figure it out soon enough.

Edit: George posted while I typed this originally. I just wanted to say: +1000.

Although, I'd like to know who shat in his Wheaties at a track day. Sheesh, George, lighten up....
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

K3 Chris Onwiler

I wrote a novel called Highside which focuses on the positive side.  The cover story of TrackdayMag.com this month is a rather enthusiastic description of racing at Daytona.  The chosen subject matter of this article was intended to be negative.  I can go both ways....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

backMARKr

Quote from: Burt Munro on November 04, 2009, 12:14:53 AM
Finally out of the closet!   :kissy:

Hello! My name is Rick and I am a professional shit disturber!" :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

HAWK

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Cowboy 6

Quote from: George_Linhart on November 03, 2009, 10:17:28 PM
Me - I Just don't get into trackdays and all the drama queens that frequent that aspect of the sport.  Too many cliques, to much politics of who is who's freind, who thinks they are cool, who has the bike that Nicky Haden farted on at laguna, blah blah blah... Me, well, its all Bull$hit - lets just race.  I would rather finish last in a race than "win" the world traday championship.

I have seen way more positive than negatives in racing.  Guys who you are racing against every weekend that will bust their @$$ all night long to help you put your bike back together just so that they have the chance to beat you fair and square the next morning when the green flag drops - even when a championship is involved.

George

Well spoken George. Thanks.

I do believe that the article was more of a reality check to the delusions of grandeur that track day fanatics develop.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Thanks, Cowboy 6.  You nailed my purpose in writing the article.  People should know the down side before they plunge.  Besides, some folks get annoyed by trackday rider who think or even tell people that they are racers.

I was given a Marine Corps. fatigue cap as a gift.  I wore it for about 6 months.  One day, a coworker who had been in the Marines said, "It annoys me to see you wearing that hat because you didn't earn it.  I thought about that for a minute, took the hat off and gave it to him.   

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on November 04, 2009, 09:19:45 AM
Thanks, Cowboy 6.  You nailed my purpose in writing the article.  People should know the down side before they plunge.  Besides, some folks get annoyed by trackday riders who think or even tell people that they are racers.

I was given a Marine Corps. fatigue cap as a gift.  I wore it for about 6 months.  One day, a coworker who had been in the Marines said, "It annoys me to see you wearing that hat because you didn't earn it.  I thought about that for a minute, took the hat off and gave it to him.  

MotoHick

Maybe I missed it within the article, but who says you can only do one or the other? I started with track days a few years ago and once I felt like I could pilot a 600 safely I tried racing. Well yeah, of course I'm hooked, but  that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a track day every once and a while. Hell, about 11 of us rode with Cornerspeed at VIR last Monday and we had a freaking blast. For me variety is key.

funsizeracing

It kind of says "Yes, it's crack, but I'm only going to smoke a little bit.  So it's ok, I don't have a problem"
Becka
CMRA EX #126
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

MELK-MAN

Motohick, I don't think it every said you had to do one or the other, or that once you start doing track days you have to go racing. One of the advantages to trackdays, as pointed out in this article, is the massive amount of track time you get. Im with you, i like the variety. Track days sometimes to "relax" and the go racing.
Sure, George would rather race than do track days and that is cool.. racing is his thing. For many just being out there in a safe environment with no cops, curbs, cars, etc. is the ultimate experience. Something that for that day, they get to do what THEY love.
Now, as Chris points out, the new track day rider who thinks they will be the next Nicky Hayden starts lapping all the track day riders and does well riding with the local racers that show up that day.. As he points out, NO WAY will most of your regionl (or higher level) racers put it all out there and ride 100% at the track day ! ain't gonna happen with no winnings or points to gain. So.. the new track day guy gets it in his head "holy shit.. i just stayed on the back of that racer for 1/2 a lap.. i must be awesome"..
I thougth the article was giving everyone in that situation a dose of reality that it is UNLIKELY they posses the talent to be the next factory rider.
At least that was a bit of what i got from it.. To bad we couldn't get a copy of this article laminated for every track holding track days! LOL..

f3racer

Quote from: MELK-MAN on November 04, 2009, 11:39:55 AM

the new track day rider who thinks they will be the next Nicky Hayden 

he is wrong... I AM THE NEXT NICKY HAYDEN!!!
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

roadracer162

It is funny to see so many different perceptions of the article and how it reads. I can see each and every point tated in response but it is not what I necessarily got out of it.

I can see it presented towards that track day rider that thinks he will go in there to that first race weekend and burn-up the track with blistering lap times on their first race weekend. Those are the guys and gals that put their "balls before brains" mentality and get into trouble and many times include others in their emergency.

The article is a good read and although maybe not received well by others I can indentify with a lot that was stated. I for one enjoy racing and will continue to work towards one of those individuals that are the "core racers" to the racing organization. There are so many that start for the "glory", for me starting at age 40 had no aspirations of ever winning a race. I expected to be the last guy and be at best middle of the pack. I still am not the lead pack but I do have my own moments of glory.

Thanks for the read. Now let me hear someone else' take of track day to racing article.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MELK-MAN

it is easy to see how the articles message can be taken many ways..

f3racer

Well, i havent even had my 1st race. ive been to a few track days and race schools. everything that everyone has said strikes me in one way or another and i have to put it in a different aspect.

Military life.  Its all i know. ive been doing it for 13 yrs.
I take training as i do combat.  "train as you fight" so i had to adapt a little different to the track. at the team hammer school at daytona i was waved in behind Higbee on his buell. we went at a good pace  for sometime and then he just walked off and left me. I wanted so desperately to push myself as i am used to the "train as you fight" attitude but i had to think things through a little better and realize i havent honed my skills yet to go that fast. I know my bike would do it. i was even commented by rick shaw as having a damn fast 600.  Just like in the army i know my equipment will do it but if i jump into a group of Al Qaeda i might not get out.

i dont make a whole lot of money but my wife is very supportive and allows me to spend when we can afford it.
my family didnt have the money to buy me a motorcycle when i was real young. i had a honda elite 50 scooter that i would wreck on a regular basis after watching freddie spencer do it on his racer. my 1st bike i had to work my as off to rebuild. i am starting very late and wont have my 1st race until 32 yrs old. i am building the bike that i spent 15 months in iraq to pay for into a race bike.

i am a fast street rider, but i am by no means a very fast racer. i dont plan to be the next rossi. i just want to do what i have dreamed of for years upon years. i told my father when i was 4 that i wanted to race when i grew up. and even if i only get to race one race next year then i will have accomplished my dream. i have talked to people at the track that tell stories about how fast they were and how many people they beat. they take for granted what they have and dont realize how hard it is for some people to reach what they wish, or they fact that some people never even get that far. the friends to make at the track are the same you might make at a track day.

i read this article and think of what it has taken me to get as far as i have, what i might be able to accomplish, and think of all the people on this forum that i admire for having made it to where i want to be in life.
Finally i think of my wife. i have never had a significant other support me the way she does. i love her for it.

may not make alot of sense to most people but it make the world of sense to me.
Will

roadracer162

F3- I can identify with your approach. I have heard "practice makes perfect". I think it is more than that, "perfect practice makes perfect". In effect practicing riding in the right way and it will become second nature. I say don't worry about being fast. Instead learn how to read what your bike is doing, notice the feedback, aniticipate when the front is sliding. do you know when the front tire is sliding? Would you know what to do to correct it.

For me I am not the best by far, nor am I the fastest. But I have learned some skills one of them is actually scrubbing speed by sliding the front and correcting it before totally crashing. More lucky than anything else.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

f3racer

Quote from: skidMARK on November 04, 2009, 01:49:23 PM
F3- I can identify with your approach. I have heard "practice makes perfect". I think it is more than that, "perfect practice makes perfect". In effect practicing riding in the right way and it will become second nature. I say don't worry about being fast. Instead learn how to read what your bike is doing, notice the feedback, aniticipate when the front is sliding. do you know when the front tire is sliding? Would you know what to do to correct it.

For me I am not the best by far, nor am I the fastest. But I have learned some skills one of them is actually scrubbing speed by sliding the front and correcting it before totally crashing. More lucky than anything else.

Mark

thanks mark.  i definately read what everyone posts on here and put it all in my tool bag. i read every book i can get my hands on learn what i can. hell ive even taken out old magazines and re-read the articles on honing skills.
i have to say that i am proud to be associated with this forum and the majority of the people here represent this sport very well.
Will

roadracer162

Now, find your mentor and listen to what he/she has to say. Use what sticks to you and you will be a world ahead for it.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

f3racer

Will

HAWK

I read the article as a cautionary intro to racing. If you really take a good look around the padock during a race weekend you will have no trouble finding most of the stories in that article, you can also turn a blind eye and never see any of it. That's kind of what the story is all about, opening the trackday riders eyes to what CAN happen if they make the jump to racing without giving it due respect. If you race and feel that the article doesn't fit you, congratulations, You'll go far in your pursuit of having fun with your friends and probably enjoy a long racing career. Unfortunately there are some people that take it too far and it can cost them dearly in many ways.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Rick Johnson 29

To me it makes racing sound like a bad thing.I'd rather have someone a (newbie) that comes out for their first race to have some track experience.For someone to just come to the track having never ridden the track except for a one day race school seems to be a danger to theirself and all the other racers on the track.Me personally I did about 17 trackdays and half of those with the advanced riders.So my first races I felt comfortable passing and be passed closely. Just my 2 cents
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

roadracer162

I guess I am spoiled. In Florida the race weekend includes a Saturday practice day much like a track day-just better. Then on Sunday we do the races. I think Marco Martinez raced 9 races in one day. For me though I enter typically two and up to four races. Many times we will get 7 sessions on Saturday practice allowing time to learn a track, or get the set-up working before actually racing. Daytona for me has been a diffucult learning experience without the chance for practice.

I also feel that track-days are the most dangerous for me where I am not sure of the capabilities of the other rider. I prefer race weekends with the Saturday/Sunday schedule allowing me the comfort of knowing the other guy is a little more proficient. Just my perception and experience of the two.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

funsizeracing

Ever noticed how an addict gets defensive and angry when someone tells them they have a problem?  See any of that here?
Becka
CMRA EX #126
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: funsizeracing on November 04, 2009, 05:30:14 PM
Ever noticed how an addict gets defensive and angry when someone tells them they have a problem?  See any of that here?
%#$& you Becka!  I don't have a problem!  YOU have the %$#@ing problem!  I can quit any time I want!  MInd your own %$#@ %$#@ @#$% buisness!

8^D 8^D 8^D

skiandclimb

I, for one, see way more positives about trackdays than negative. Our local club hosts the events at GIR, and I must say that I get alot out of participating.  But that enjoyment is not just in riding the track....it is in doing the set up the night before...throwing bales, setting up airfence, coning off the parking lot, etc.  It's also in seeing good friends, bench racing and above all- helping new people get into the mix.  Our club does a Test The Track feature, and we have reaped huge rewards for it.  As a control rider, I have had the opportunity to see a street rider come out and complete a two session TTT event.  Then watch that same rider come back for a full trackday and watch them go up through the ranks.  A few of those have also completed a racer's clinic, and are now licensed CCS racers.....which is something we all should appreciate, given the low grid sizes.

When I began racing, there were no track days. You showed up saturday and did the clinic all day.  On Sunday- you gridded up and either did well, or got out of the sport completely.  Trackdays allow someone a chance to ease into racing, IMHO.

Yes, there can be cliques, as was mentioned, but such is life....and is found everywhere.  We have a phenominal turnout for our events, and I like to think that is due to the devoted club members, who truly care about sharing their passion for the track.  Perhaps some TD organizations just differ, and that's where some of the animosity comes from???

I absolutely LOVE gridding up for a race.  I love the comradery, the bullshitting, the bench racing, the taunting, the inherent humor of a race weekend.  But personally, I feel I get more out of this sport when I get to tow a newbie around, then watch them link it all together for the first time....THAT is the best reward for me.

Anywho, I digress.  Good discussion here!

Cheers,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

roadracer162

So now I wonder based on what you stated if the low race grids are a result of the advent of the track day growing more popular. I have been noticing the remark of many a rider/track day participant saying that they will do a few more track days to become competitive before trying their hands at racing. What if they nver become competitive? Do they ever go racing even if they can't do the lap times of the other amateurs?

It seems that when there were no track days the grids were good. When the nations financial health was good the grids still weren't as full as time of the past. It also seems there are more track days than ever and the race grids get smaller. With this trend i seem to be the only one participating and in time I will win all the ROC championships.

Or is it that track days are the feeder system for racing. I don't know. If I were a man of statistics one might come to the conclusion that track days keep riders from racing. There seems to be so many track day riders that could be racing and don't.

Cost? Well in the Florida region if you enter two races for $55 each, and practice on Saturday for $75 it is a total of $185. The track days here seems to cost anywhere from $175-$200. Seems like a deal to me to race. Although a Jennings trackday is $105(???) for Mondays. That is a deal.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

K3 Chris Onwiler

Skiandclimb, I feel exactly the same way as you do.  BTW, I think that with Gateway, MCRA has come up with the model for our sport's future.  I'll be more involved there in 2010.

Rick Johnson 29

I'm definetly hooked and spend lots of money on racing but I'm not eating ramen noodles.Lol I do prefer to do the Fri. practice before a race because it's mostly skilled racers.However I do enjoy going to a trackday once in awhile to work on some things and just have fun riding with some friends that just don't want to or have the balls to race.Hopefully next year the grids will be better.Either way I'll be out there lining up with the experts for the first time.I look forward to learning more and getting faster.I have set realilistic goals for myself in racing.I hope to reach my goal of running in the top 10 next year in the unlimited class and in the top 5 in 2011 and maybe even a few podiums.Oh yeah I hate winter!
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

duckracer996

I agree with Ski that track days lead you to racing. I have been running the MCRA track days for a few years, but was hesitant to race due to the thought of injury and expense.  I took the clinic and got the license and did my 1st race this year, and I am hooked. But.........Racing is much more expensive than track days, and that will stop some people from moving away from trackdays to racing. effecting the grid size.

roadracer162

Dont get me wrong i like track days also. I agree with all the statements about track days and the benefits they bring. I do believe though that the typical region of racing you may get 1-2 practice sessions in the morning then you race. Do the friday practice day before for another $150 and the costs add up. For me a track day is more dangerous(broke 9 ribs) than the race weekend. Both costs the same for me essentially because I go just as fast during a track day as I do a race weekend. I use the usual tire warmers, race fuel, and assorted accompaniments. Like I have said the Flrida region race weekend includes a Saturday practice day for $75. Or you can do just the races at $55 a pop.

Either way I am glad I can still ride.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22