Started by LMsports, November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM

LMsports

Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Graham

There wasnt track days when i first started racing.This sport can chew you up and spit you out for sure.But it is what you make of it.And it can be the greatest thing or the worst.One thing i have learned there will always be someone faster than you.I have been raced during a track day and lost,and have him come up to me and say, i got ya.Never told him i was practiceing  no brake drills at the time, lol.

GregGorman

Yeah, people who don't know the beauty of that drill would never believe you anyway!

DEVINC

i've been told one  can be in the 22's at jgp with no brakes on a 600. ss or sb i don't know. eitherway, does that sound true?

MELK-MAN

Having been at this sport/hobby for nearly 7 years, every paragraph rang true. I have witnessed first hand or heard of nearly every situation described in the article, right down to hearing of some reginal riders who turned to illegal drug trade to fund the racing, and the jail time that followed when they got caught.
I have witnessed MANY up and coming riders come and go. What were seen as super-phenoms who only flamed out within a year or 2 after going expert. Not because they lacked the will to go on, but the writing was on the wall.. they were not advancing up the ranks fast enough to justify going broke living a dream.
I have also met some good guys that every year somehow make ends meet racing motorcycles and make a modest living. However, of the thousands of racers i have come in contact with over the years, I can count these guys on less than all 10 fingers.
Im not too ashamed to say that when I started track day riding I thought "ok.. big bucks here I come". The lessons in "how to be humble" were quick to follow once i started racing.. And without a doubt, I have sacrificed business and relationships for the love of racing. No question about it.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

funsizeracing

He makes racing sound like it's a bad thing!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Jason748

Quote from: LMsports on November 02, 2009, 06:26:57 PM
Comments?

Yea... couldn't K3 pick a better photo for that one, I mean come-on some ya-who on a "illegal" buell   :biggrin:

Good article though. 
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

George_Linhart

That article makes me feel dirty and unclean.  To an outsider it sounds like you would meet a bunch of criminals and degenerates at the track.

I do not think it is how I want to be portrayed.

George

HAWK

The story talks about where it can go if you don't have a healthy respect for it, like anything addictive.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: George_Linhart on November 03, 2009, 03:58:52 PM
That article makes me feel dirty and unclean.  To an outsider it sounds like you would meet a bunch of criminals and degenerates at the track.

I do not think it is how I want to be portrayed.

George
No, no, no!  As the article says, some can be social drinkers and some become alchohloics.  The article is a warning for where racing can take you if you let it, not a gaurantee that you will go there.

Ask around.  I didn't name names (AND NEVER WOULD) but your local long-time racers will know someone who's fallen into every trap listed in that article, no matter where you live and race.  A very famous example of the criminal temptation would be the Wittington Brothers.  They were businessmen who went car endurance racing in IMSA during the 80's.  Eventually, they even bought Road Atlanta.  In the end, they went to jail for running a massive drug smuggling operation.

Racing is what you make of it.  Virtually all my true friends are racers.  I LOVE racing.  Unfortunately, I'm one of the weak ones who can (and has) become a prisoner of the sport.  That's why I've backed away.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

MELK-MAN

To say it portrays racing in a bad light is a bit off the mark. Im pretty sure Chris is putting into words potentially the "dark side" that many slip to as the love for the sport takes over.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

dylanfan53

Nothing wrong with a good dose of reality when someone's about to put their savings and health on the line. 

Don Cook
CCS #53