News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Safety at PBIR

Started by Toy Store, October 24, 2009, 02:55:34 PM

redlinepilot

Quote from: skidMARK on October 27, 2009, 07:07:04 AM
Steve,

Thank you for the response and insight. With the information iwhtin your post I must report that this process has been well underway even before we started racing on the new track. Henry has initiated this process a long time ago. Why did he do it? I believe because he is a racer at heart and he is looking out for my safety. Safety in a high risk endeavor is a difficult proposition to be perfect all the time. We can only speculate on the dangers and deal with the most obvious ones first.

I too have raced on the old Moroso on it's many incarnations. With rough and patchy pavement, canals looming in the background, water run-off coming from the overhead walk-over onto the front straight, and oh yeah walls. I believed that the new track would bring higher corner speeds and maybe even more serious injuries after a crash. I don't know if it more safe or not, I hope so.

Sean has been instrumental in getting things done and he is a voice that is well respected by rider and promoter. I believe we are headed in the right direction.

Mark

Mark,

There is a large ridership and a number of them are taking a negative position on PBIR. Whatever is being done should be openly communicated to all the riders in a timely fashion...I did say High Level Professional Communication. This at least cuts the edge and tension from riders that instead of contributing are in a negative stance. This needs to come from Henry if a rider representave has not been formally chosen. So far, all I've seen in the forum is Dwyer, Melka and you post threads as good ambassadors.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

roadracer162

Steve,

I thoroughly agree with everything you have stated. High Level and Professionalism doesn't lend itself to a descriptioion of me(kidding). I am not currently involved any any of the talks or ideas regarding safety but for some reason I feel obligated to get involved and active.

I take some responsibility for safety after bringing my Sons and brother out to the track and get them riding. I make sure that the safety issues on the bikes they are riding are at least looked after and corrected if needed. This same effort I feel obligated to do when it comes to the track and it's condition.

Your statements have lit a spark under me to have that professional conduct and attitude especially in the communication department. I can only hope that my efforts will be received in a favorable manner by all.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

redlinepilot

Quote from: skidMARK on October 27, 2009, 08:50:55 AM
Steve,

I thoroughly agree with everything you have stated. High Level and Professionalism doesn't lend itself to a descriptioion of me(kidding). I am not currently involved any any of the talks or ideas regarding safety but for some reason I fell obligated to get involved and active.

I take some responsibility for safety after bringing my Sons and brother out to the track and get them riding. I make sure that the safety issues on the bikes they are riding are at least looked after and corrected if needed. This same effort I fell obligated to do when it comes to the track and it's condition.

Your statements have lit a spark under me to have that professional conduct and attitude especially in the communication department. I can only hope that my efforts will be received in a favorable manner by all.

Mark

Sounds good Mark,

I'm here to help and hope more riders fall in behind us for the better of the sport. Since we both understand the current status, all we can do at this point is to give Henry an opportunity and see.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

JCP636

I don't see any liability issues if the committee is set up in a manner that they simply make recomendations to the organization and the track on ways that safety should be improved and areas that are dangerous. IF there were the possibility of any liability, the only way I could see it happening is if the committee were actually put in charge of approving the track as safe and having the final say on weather or not races would be run there. While I don't see that as likely, an additional indemnification clause for the committee could be added to the normal waivers that riders sign before they get on the track.
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188

JCP636

My post on this thread about liability would also apply in that scenario. http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,23715.0.html
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188

redlinepilot

Quote from: JCP636 on October 27, 2009, 11:41:15 PM
I don't see any liability issues if the committee is set up in a manner that they simply make recommendations to the organization and the track on ways that safety should be improved and areas that are dangerous. IF there were the possibility of any liability, the only way I could see it happening is if the committee were actually put in charge of approving the track as safe and having the final say on weather or not races would be run there. While I don't see that as likely, an additional indemnification clause for the committee could be added to the normal waivers that riders sign before they get on the track.
Deep Pockets

Gentlemen, let's clear the air and put this to rest about exposure or liability. The track owners (real property) are the first target, if a business enterprise is opporating on that property (race track) 2nd target, The individuals or entities who put on events on said  property (promotors) 3rd target. Sponsors of those events are the last targets and sometimes individuals that are involved that may not have incorporated an indemnity clause in the business agreements . You could have asked Henry DeGouw directly and he would have shared this with anyone. In reference to exposure or liability for anyone making recommendations for anything, as long as the recommendation is not criminal and you did not sign a form letter or other type of document. The liability and exposure would be borne by the targets I mentioned above. There will always be risk in any business and big business should have big insurance and big legal representation to go with it. It's the cost of doing business.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

ScubaSteve

Quote from: d-wire on October 26, 2009, 08:08:10 PM
If anything is ever put together like that, it would have to work through and with HD anyway.  HD can work with the tracks to get things done....he cares about the safety stuff more than people realize.  He was HUGE in getting the air fence for Homestead.  He is working right now on other stuff safety wise.  He isn't in this sport for the money.

+1.

I'll look into the fire extinguishers also.
Steve

CCS FL

vnvbandit

Quote from: ScubaSteve on October 29, 2009, 10:14:19 AM
+1.

I'll look into the fire extinguishers also.

Volusia county requires fire extinguishers to be hydrostatic tested once a year for commercial properties. You might want to check your local & state laws also.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

roadracer162

I am not too sure about being hydrostatic tested each year but surely checked for freshness yes. The Soduim Bicarb tends to cake together after time. Hydro is typically a 3 year proposition.

As far as effective use the most important factor is the user. Most extinguishers are maybe good for up to a mintue of use.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

redlinepilot

Quote from: vnvbandit on October 29, 2009, 12:00:33 PM
Volusia county requires fire extinguishers to be hydrostatic tested once a year for commercial properties. You might want to check your local & state laws also.
Interesting how we analyze what we observe and draw conclusions that are pretty good...but sometimes the most obvious slips by. All fire extinguishers regardless of material type have a certified inspection tag tied around the neck or a sticker on the bottle with the inspection date punched out by the vendor providing the service. Without a valid inspection tag the device is out of compliance. Keep up the good work guys, the more you dig, the more you"ll find and we'll be better off for it.  :thumb:

Happy Trails,

Steve Guanche
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

MELK-MAN

Quote from: redlinepilot on October 29, 2009, 04:22:23 PM
Interesting how we analyze what we observe and draw conclusions that are pretty good...but sometimes the most obvious slips by. All fire extinguishers regardless of material type have a certified inspection tag tied around the neck or a sticker on the bottle with the inspection date punched out by the vendor providing the service. Without a valid inspection tag the device is out of compliance. Keep up the good work guys, the more you dig, the more you"ll find and we'll be better off for it.  :thumb:

Happy Trails,

Steve Guanche

"valid" being the key word. Having the tag does not mean it is in compliance. For commercial use (apartments, commercial spaces, restaurants) the state of FL requires them to be inspected and re-taged once a year. Owning apartments, i have to pay a fee for this and if i don't the divisions of hotels and restaurants can fine me.
That being said.. i have no idea if the track is inspected in the same manner. It is pretty silly however for the dial to read "empty" . Better to not have one than have one that won't work. I'm sure this is one thing that will soon be addressed.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

redlinepilot

Quote from: MELK-MAN on October 29, 2009, 08:16:40 PM
"valid" being the key word. Having the tag does not mean it is in compliance. For commercial use (apartments, commercial spaces, restaurants) the state of FL requires them to be inspected and re-taged once a year. Owning apartments, i have to pay a fee for this and if i don't the divisions of hotels and restaurants can fine me.
That being said.. i have no idea if the track is inspected in the same manner. It is pretty silly however for the dial to read "empty" . Better to not have one than have one that won't work. I'm sure this is one thing that will soon be addressed.

Greg your on it, bouncing our experiences and expertice between members of the forum really builds the forum and shows integrity.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL