News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona Expert Unlimited Superbike Race Video

Started by GregGorman, October 22, 2009, 06:34:25 AM

MELK-MAN

cool vids Greg.
One tip you may try next time at Daytona.. TONS more gearing. On the big bike 5th through T4 leaned over as you come of the banking onto the superspeedway, then grab 6th way down the straight. Will perhaps use 1st gear in 1 and the horseshoes but your leaving many MPH on the fast parts of the track. And what do we say about racing the track? go fast in the fast parts.. Ya may give up a smidge in the infield (actually if you just use lower gears there you won't) but you can use 6th as an overdrive and im sure you would have shot right back by Mavros when he passed ya. Nice job holding him off after ya got by in the IH but you have a lot of HP you could utilize for more mph. Awesome job on the brakes..made up lots of ground on em there. Some tips through and after the back chicane and were to go through nascar 3-4 but i can't post all my tips 8)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

GregGorman

Thanks Greg, I'll try that next time.  Thanks to the GPS, I know that my optimal lap is a 1:52.9 and my best so far is a 1:53.8. So, a lot of consistency to handle.  Maybe with your tips and some consistency, I'll even get to the 51s.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: GregGorman on October 22, 2009, 01:28:31 PM
Thanks Greg, I'll try that next time.  Thanks to the GPS, I know that my optimal lap is a 1:52.9 and my best so far is a 1:53.8. So, a lot of consistency to handle.  Maybe with your tips and some consistency, I'll even get to the 51s.

actually, only 1 second off your true best vs. the GPS optimal (best of various sectors) is pretty darn consistant riding. Just gotta pick a bit up everywhere but i really think more mph from gearing at that track will be instant lower lap time. Anal Halaz shaved off 2 seconds in 1 session when i told him to go to the 18t front sprocket.

GregGorman

I was wondering how he got faster from the Superstock to the GP race

MELK-MAN

My advice is boundless but not cheap.. :biggrin: got lots more where that came from! JK. Keep at it, but better line choice from the back chicane on will save ya another 1/2 second or more.

GregGorman

well maybe I'll get a chance to follow you around sometime.  maybe half a lap before you leave me?

MELK-MAN

Quote from: GregGorman on October 26, 2009, 08:58:49 AM
well maybe I'll get a chance to follow you around sometime.  maybe half a lap before you leave me?

LOL.. You got it, but i think it won't be long before you will be right there or passing me.  :cheers:

2old2fat2slow

Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

GregGorman

Thank you!  "Too old, too fat and too slow."  My dad used to say that a lot.  I didn't believe it then, I don't believe it now. :)

NOBODY

Firecat

Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

RAISING CANE

Great video Greg....Awesome job on the brakes! You were able to close down nice on Charlie. Looked like you really put your head down for that last lap.

And Melka, kinda nice your not racing right now...Please feel free to throw out more advice. How bout Homestead? Anything?   :thumb:    I know...I know it will cost me..lol  I hired Marco Martinez to attend a track day with me and be my personal coach for the day. But sadly I lost the front on my 1k in turn 2 at JGP and had no bike to finish the season or the track day.
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

MELK-MAN

I do some coaching and do enjoy it, however it is more difficult during a race weekend. When there is a friday track day prior to a race weekend that works well. I am not sure if i will be ready for Dec . homestead but hope to be racing at the Feb homestead race.
Homestead.. no 6th gear. (tip of the day)

DEVINC

Quote from: MELK-MAN on October 29, 2009, 08:54:21 AM
Homestead.. no 6th gear. (tip of the day)

So I should have it geared as to not use 6th gear at all during the whole track? What kind of gearing would that be on an r6?

MELK-MAN

Quote from: DEVINC on October 29, 2009, 09:43:53 AM
So I should have it geared as to not use 6th gear at all during the whole track? What kind of gearing would that be on an r6?

"Homestead - no 6th gear" meant no 6th gear... anywhere..LOL. :biggrin: Just tappin the top of 5th on the front as you bend it down to the transition. I can't tell you what gearing you would need for sure. All depends on how good of a drive your getting out of the final chicane onto the front banking. What would work for a rider on an r6 pounding out some low 28's would not likely work for another rider doing say 1:31.
   16/47 gearing would be a start, then up or down 1 or 2 teeth as you get up to speed. Depends on if you use 180 or 190 (see why it is hard to recomend gearing?). Practice times may not be the same as race pace so keep that in mind. Rides (me included) under gear for the race as practice is a second or 2 off.