News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Buell no more

Started by xb12racerX, October 15, 2009, 09:52:56 AM

P_M

Hmmmm... I have been pondering this 'move' by H-D...

Let's see if I understand it correctly.   (follow along to help me get all the points right..)

ONE - H-D intruduced a bunch of new models that arent' selling.   (for reasons no one understands, in these fiscally tight times)

TWO - MV/Agusta (who with VERY little due dilligence you could tell wouldn't be profitable in a LONG TIME) has to go.  So you put it up for sale.

THREE - Buell Motorcycles posted a PROFIT of something akin to $54 Millions - this year, in this economy.  They had their best two years ever the last two (I thnk something like $128M last year) and as all of you know, were looking to grow even stronger in the next few years. 

SO - It follows that there is the problem.  Buell made money.  They should have lost a ton of it, then maybe the parent would have kept them around.  After all, I suppose the 'new' success is to loose as much as possible, then crow about it to attract investors.  I'm sure most of the H-D investors are like the new CEO over there.. Not sure what a motorcycle is or does, but do know that T-Shirts and hats made in Malysia are a good bet for making money.  Is the H-D plan to divest itself of all motor vehicle related items and concentrate on jewlery and clothing lines? 

It makes no sense to me, but then what do I know about finance?  I just have to try and keep my own books straight. 

On a personal note.  Erik and the 'Elves' at Buell were some of the nicest, most honest and friendly people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.  All of them, from the person on the line attaching the wheels to the person answering the phone love motorcycles and what they did.  They love motorcycle riders, no matter what brand you ride or how you ride it.  Just so long as you rode.  I will miss them the most.  I can only hope that Mr. Buell and his staff find a new home, one where they can practice their craft and someday, bring back that feeling that all riders are good. All of us are worth talking too and sharing with.  In 26 years Buell brought about revolutions in design that other brands are only now starting to use.  They (in their time) created the most aerodynamic motorcycle ever (the body work is still used by LS racers to this day).  They centered on the MOST important part of the riding experiance... The rider.  Perhaps someone will pick up the baton they have been forced to drop and carry it on. 

Thank you Erik, Flick, Henry and all the rest over there.  As a team the only thing that couild have stopped you was...  A myopic little man that hates motorcycles and the people that ride them almost as much as he hates success.

Thank you.  For everything.
Ok, so I'm faster with my camera then you are with your bike..

Black Cowboy Hats - Keep the sun off my neck.
Nikon (because I use the best)
RnR Cycles - Great folks, great service
Team Pro-Motion - Just for the fun of it..
Photographing the Racing because I love the Sport and you folks ROCK!

xb12racerX

Oh. I picked up a new  1125R, 08, with the "full" bodywork. $5400 out the door.
mind your own damn business

Dr675

At golf last night, my Uncle handed me a brouchure he got at his office yesterday from the Wisconsin Department of Commerce.

It was outlining why companies choose Wisconsin and how great Wisconsin is to their business.

Among the companies/owners profiled were:

the CEO of Culvers Restaurants
the CEO of Ariens lawn equipment
the CEO of Bucyrus Mining equipment
the CEO of Quad Graphics printing (Time, Playboy)

and

the chairman of Buell motorcycle- Erik Buell
Caption on photo of Erik- "Entering its 25th year as Harley-Davidsons sport bike division"

Erik- "Wisconsin is a great place for a motorcycle company. Where else in the world could you find a team of 180 people who can produce motorcycles that can win in the market against huge companies like Honda, BMW and Suzuki?"

ooops

-
"...you gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight"- BNL

spyderchick

was a great place for a motorcycle co. Sad.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".