Daytona in the rain???

Started by JCP636, October 14, 2009, 04:47:16 PM

JCP636

Will they run races at Daytona if it's raining? If not what will they do with the races, push them to the next day? Looks like Friday afternoon might be a washout...
Some may never live, but the crazy never die...

ccs#188

Super Dave

Quote from: JCP636 on October 14, 2009, 04:47:16 PM
Will they run races at Daytona if it's raining? If not what will they do with the races, push them to the next day? Looks like Friday afternoon might be a washout...
Yeah, they should.  I know Michelin rain tires can handle the banking.  Some other manufactures won't sell any rain tires for the banking because of carcass concerns.  Don't know if that is currently the case. 

Don't hit the paint stripes in the rain.
Super Dave

JCP636

If that's the case I don't have rain tires and don't feel like shelling out the extra loot for them, so I'll probably skip the Friday races. I've done some trackdays in the rain and been ok with DOT's but I'd rather just enter into an extra race on Sunday I think...

ccs#188

MELK-MAN

daytona is a blast in the rain. the banking and superspeedway sections drain..well.. for obvious reasons. As Dave said, keep off or at least be upright on the paint. They will not cancel races unless there is lightning.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Gixxerblade

Daytona is fun in the rain. You'll be fine.

JCP636

Hmmm, well my main concern would be running DOT's and not being competitive if everyone else is on rains... Like I said, I've done some trackdays in the rain and had fun. This is only my second race weekend though and I've never raced in the rain.

ccs#188

MELK-MAN

Quote from: JCP636 on October 14, 2009, 07:48:30 PM
Hmmm, well my main concern would be running DOT's and not being competitive if everyone else is on rains... Like I said, I've done some trackdays in the rain and had fun. This is only my second race weekend though and I've never raced in the rain.

dot tires are not fun on a full wet track. unless you have vast exp in the rain i would not suggest doing it.
i have a set of new rains ill sell for less than new (ill get a new set next year) but wont be there till fri night.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

123user

The chicane is the most important place to avoid painted surfaces.  Always lots of crashing there in the rain.  Daytona in the rain is a very memorable experience.  My wife took a picture of me doing 145 at the top of the banking in the pouring rain in 2007.  I never had any grip issues (running dunlop/michelin F/R rains) and the rains held up well.

The biggest issue I had there in the rain is visor fogging.  Lots of steamyness.  A fog-city visor insert solved that... I highly recommend.

RoyHefner

QuoteA fog-city visor insert solved that... I highly recommend.

+1
Roy Hefner
CCS / ASRA  #163
J.O.S. Motorsports, MCC, Pirelli, Vortex, Silkolene

SV88

Hum Now I know why I opted to do a 6 hr CMRA endurance race @ Texas World Speedway (TWS).  Sunny and between 70-80 deg. all weekend plus the infield/outfield is so much better than Daytona - can you say elevation changes?  Raced Daytona 2 Febs ago and have little interest in ever returning.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

red900

Awful long trip to start skipping raced before you get there...  Go, buy the rain tires, and have a blast...
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

mx558

it was fun in 07 in the rain, till I crashed ! ha ha but that was in the infeild