BHF Amateur MW Supersport - Turn 2 Crash??

Started by tadgralewski, September 28, 2009, 05:26:46 PM

George_Linhart

Charles - your writing makes all of our heads hurt.  You just may be the next Ben Spies, but if you ride like you type - I am very scared to be anywhere near you on the track!  Is there any way you can do us all a favor use a proper sentence structure, full words and appropriate punctuation?

Onto the meat of the issue.

Most of us that race at the club level do it for sport and are very concerned about making it home at the end of the day.  I have a wife and two young sons (a 5 year old and a 10 month old) and I have clients that depend on me showing up at my job every Monday morning.  Even if you do not care about crashing and hurting yourself, please think about how your actions could affect those around you.  Don't get me wrong, I accept that there is an inherent danger in this sport; however, I expect those around me to have a baseline of inteligence and self discipline which is just not apparent in your responses to this post.

You really ought to reflect on what your peers are telling you about your racing with some deep thought and respect.  If nothing else, if you really want to go somewhere in this sport you need to stay healthy.  There are very few things that will shorten your career more quickly than riding over your head and crashing constantly as it is only a matter of time before you get seriously hurt.  I suspect that a propensity to crash once most riders hit a certain stage/speed is one of the big reasons that on average a new racer doesn't tend to last between 1.5 and 2.5 seasons.  I've been doing this for 10 years now and have seen lots of fast kids come and go, very few end up staying around for very long.

Please think about what people are saying to you and how your actions could impact others on the track.

Thanks,

George

Dori Ninja

hahaha, sorry boys, wasnt aware this was an english class, ill try to keep the typing complete. i have been typing in short simple sencances for a while, and never was the greatest at this gramer thing.

and i am listening to u all, and i rarely rarely ever push myself to 100% efforts. as i was taught in LCR when you push it like that, you loose that safty buffer between controling the bike and reacting in panic mode. you also loose the ability to learn from what ur mistakes were, and i can remember just about every incident i have had on the track to this day if you are specific enough on the event.

when im out on the track every lap of ever track day/practice/race is a learning experiance to me. im not aware of whos behind me when aside from immediatly after i make a pass, and im not looking back for anything, so if i do tend to be doing differnt things each lap, its because i am. im getting a lot of info every time i get off the bike  from very knowlageable people and as everyone is aware this is my first year so i am trying to find the best method for me to make it around the track. im not sure if thats what you all are refering to but again, i am NOT on the ragged edge except for a few rare occasions out of the year.
Expert #414
Braap Monster Racing | Creative Custom Airbrush | Vortex | Spy Optics | Replay XD

red900

I crashed in turn 2, June 2008.. .  A crash that changed my entire racing career.  Pushing, trying to go faster.   43 First place finishes, 4 National championships, Overall championship MW, 4 regional championships, 4 blackhawk........  All that pressure to go faster, running 4th or 5th place in a middleweight race, pushed too hard...  Party's over, Limping the rest of my life... 

An old saying, "All Good things take time, but bad things come rushing at you before you can duck".   

Charles, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!   All of the successful riders around you have turned thousands of hours in the track.  Key, Farell, Hall, Ortega, Hernan, Berard, Probst, Scotty, Rosno, Hix, Skloss, Girard, Smith.........

Charles, my suggestion to you.  Get as much seat time as possible.  Go to Barber in november, Road atlanta, then do trackdays in florida all winter...   You want the fast track to success, that is it, not riding over your head.....

Good Luck,    HEAL UP ALEX.
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

alexm

Charles -

I'm trying to wean of off the pain medication, this is going to make my post very candid.

I think racers are some of the best people in the world. If you read over the last 2 pages of posts you will see the community sending their best wishes to both of us as we heal, and trying to elevate our mentality about riding and our riding style. These aren't people that are trying to keep you down, they're trying to lift you up!

If your statement is correct: "i was trying to avoid them and fall back into place behind them so i didnt get run off the track and next thing i know im on the ground sliding to the air fence", it means that contrary to your previous post about retaining crash details and learning from them, you don't know what caused you to crash.

You say that racing is the only thing you're good at, so I'd like to help you break down the variables at play as you went into turn 2 in the mw ss race. BTW, I've noticed that all the fast racers are very keen analytical thinkers, they process and act on information very efficiently and quickly; it would be to your advantage to develop this skill, and it can be applied outside of racing as well. That will give you 2 things you can be good at!

1. You ride a 07+ CBR 600RR, the BEST CBR honda has made to date. I race the 05, and my brother riders an 07 and I've ridden it many a times, and stock it's a better bike than mine.
2. Last set of tires I saw on your bike are the Michelin Power Ones, the best tires I've ever tried.
3. I noticed TSE work on your suspension, aka you have the best suspension setup possible. Scotty helped me out for 5 min and I dropped 3 sec at HPT.4

4. None of us were set up to go 2 wide through the turn, there's plenty of room especially on the opening lap when everyone's speeds are so much slower.

This tells me you have a very good bike package for a novice, and your bike should make turn 2 at the slower speeds that come with a first lap, without ANY problems as long as no critical malfunction of your equipment occurred.

You most likely low-sided the bike, since I don't think it's very likely to be so hard on the gas at the beginning of a race with people in front of you that you would high-side. What is the most probable causes of your low-side? You grabbed too much break at some point.

I'm guessing you found yourself with the top 4 AMs going through the turn faster than you normally do, you panicked and grabbed too much break.I think you didn't scale back, I think you went 100%. Did your equipment fail or did you experience another moment of "rarely rarely ever push myself to 100% efforts"? 

When 1 person says it you can ignore it, when 2 say it you can take notice, but when the majority of the paddock says it, take it down a notch!

I will have surgery on Monday, I'll have scars and metal parts in my body to remember the day the rest of my life. I have to take vicodin before I get out of bed, the pain in my back is too great for me to move in the morning. Hopefully I will heal up, but I know this will come to haunt me in my older years. Accidents happen, but please try not to do this to yourself, and most importantly please don't do it to anyone else.

Alex

NOBODY

Sorry to hear about this Alex, heal up fast.

Dori Ninja

as i said before, i am listening to what is being said and taking all the info in, i would LOVE to spend my winters doing track days in FL, and going to barber and other places over the winter. but be as it is, i am working barley full time hours at $8.50 an hour, going to school full time, and have a military obligation which i have been scolded at for putting second to racing already. we barley are getting enough money together for daytona and my dad is already trying to work things out to assist me so i can got to some of the top riding schools in the nation.
Expert #414
Braap Monster Racing | Creative Custom Airbrush | Vortex | Spy Optics | Replay XD

Farmboy

Quote from: red900 on October 02, 2009, 11:14:49 AM

All of the successful riders around you have turned thousands of hours in the track.  Key, Farell, Hall, Ortega, Hernan, Berard, Probst, Scotty, Rosno, Hix, Skloss, Girard, Smith.........

Whoa, Hey! While I'd definitely agree that I'm way more handsome than most of the guys on that list, and Hernan is more charming, I don't know that we quite belong to this group otherwise, but thanks for the flattery...
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Firecat

Quote from: Farmboy on October 02, 2009, 06:36:28 PM
Whoa, Hey! While I'd definitely agree that I'm way more handsome than most of the guys on that list,

Reality...its worth checking into Jim :) 

This thread must be very difficult for you Charles...but keep in mind that the people that are letting you know how they feel aren't trying to beat you up or make you feel bad. 

Jim, Hernan, Eddie and Ben have chimed in with constructive (yes, sometimes critical) advice but recognize that they are some of the classiest people in the paddock. I have a tremendous amount of respect for each of them and if they offered advice about my riding...I wouldn't just listen...I would take it to heart and make the necessary changes.

Good Luck in your racing career Charles...no matter how difficult your posts are to read :) I can see that your desire to be the best burns strong...don't lose that desire...just learn to control it better.
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Firecat on October 02, 2009, 11:04:07 PM
This thread must be very difficult for you Charles...but keep in mind that the people that are letting you know how they feel aren't trying to beat you up or make you feel bad. 

Jim, Hernan, Eddie and Ben have chimed in with constructive (yes, sometimes critical) advice but recognize that they are some of the classiest people in the paddock. I have a tremendous amount of respect for each of them and if they offered advice about my riding...I wouldn't just listen...I would take it to heart and make the necessary changes.

Good Luck in your racing career Charles...no matter how difficult your posts are to read :) I can see that your desire to be the best burns strong...don't lose that desire...just learn to control it better.

+1000

I didnt see you race, crash truck doesnt give me much opportunity, so I didnt see if you were pushing too hard. But take it from someone who was in your shoes 22 yrs ago. I was very, very, very aggressive when I started racing (Formula Ford). First couple races I was banging wheels (I watched alot of nascar back then when it was alot better). Thats something you dont do in open wheel cars. Well after 3 races, 6 of them cornered me in the garage and just "let me know how they feel". Learned real quick that I went FASTER without bent control arms. :lmao: Didnt bump pass or rub tires the rest of the year. Not saying I didnt crash, but nothing was beyond a racing incident unlike it was my first 3 races. By the end of the season, I had earned their respect and became like family to me. If they didnt corner me, I probably wouldn't had lasted the rest of the year before getting canned.

Charles, I (and I think most others) would like to see you out racing for years to come and not one of the guys who disappear after 1-2 yrs.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

hernan52

Dustin: you are too kind. However, I agree with Jim: you and the others you mentioned clearly belong to a different league.

Alex: I wish you a quick recovery.  My thoughts are and will be with you.

Charles: don't lose your desire to be the best but, as Brian and others said, learn to control it better.

Hernan
You don't stop laughing because you grow old.
You grow old because you stop laughing.

red900

Keeping everything in perspective, the riders listed are leaders in there classes, you guys are leaders in your class...  You ride safe, you ride fast, you define club racing...  This is not the pro league, this is a paddock full of folks with full time jobs.  Hernan, you and Jim load up at the end of the day, have a drink, and talk about a great weekend of great racing.   That is what this is all about, at least to me...   

Dustin

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Doctor

I have to agree, Hernan and Jim, you two definitely belong in the group of riders listed above.
Wisconsin SportBikes Racing Team, Zone Photo, Dunlop, MotoVid.com, Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Jim Lilly
CCS Ex #703