Daijiro Katoh *SPOILER if you click the link*

Started by GAMEDIC, April 06, 2003, 10:45:24 PM

GAMEDIC

Then, all appearances of a battle-to-the-finish Grand Prix race came to an end, and appropriately so. Daijiro Katoh lost control entering the chicane with a massive tank-slapper that ended with Katoh high-siding and pounding into the padded wall. Katoh stopped breathing after he hit the wall, and a heart massage was administered on the track to re-start his circulation. Medical staff at the circuit reported weak reflex action when they loaded Katoh on to the helicopter. The official track report stated head and neck trauma, and a back injury. At 6pm local the MotoGP Medical Director, Claudio Macchiagodena, announced that Katoh was fighting for his life in a local hospital.

Full article here
http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Apr/030406d.htm

tigerblade

The cornerworkers didn't do him any favors by throwing him around.   >:(
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TZDeSioux

Agree.. that was pretty freaking messed up the way they tossed him like a dead fish. I just about fall off my couch when I saw that. I also can't freaking believe they didn't red flag the race. A rider is laying in the middle of the track just about dead and they continue to race. Makes no freaking sense.  >:( >:( >:(

MightyDuc Racing

If they did any more damage by doing that to him...I hope he makes the corner workers and the organization pay for that.  Race shoulda been red-flagged.  Is a person's life or the ability to walk and function worth satisfying the fans a bit quicker than if they'd have red flagged.  Man I was pissed.  .02
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

TZDeSioux

According to MotoGP.com, Kato is in serious but stable condition. Everyone pray for #74.  :(

Super_KC124

Dragging riders off the track as fast as possible seams to be the norm at WSB and Moto GP events. I've seen it done several times before. I don't think anyone in CCS, WERA ect... would ever attempt to move an unconsious rider. I hope he pulls through. :'(

K3 Chris Onwiler

Even as you watch the pros race on TV, realize that the Midwest Safety Crew is better than what passes for "World Class."  We're damn lucky to have them.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

GAMEDIC

Well i have been a Medic for 2 years..and i can give you an honest profesional statement... the answer is YES if there was any chance he had a neck or back injury then the way the picked him up without imobilizing his spine would have cause it and i can't believer they were more worried about keeping the race going than him...they should have red flagged it and took proper care of him the damn race could have been restarted.... i don't know how much training they get but this is one of the basic things we are told from the start ....protect the spine!!

i will have to say even if he was not breathing that would have been no excuse to grab and go...the race should have been stoped and care given.... even if he was not breathing it would have still be better to let him not breath for 2 min and take care of his spine then worry about the breathing.... chances are with his age he would come back...but y9ou can't fix a spinal injury... something needs to be done about the way that was done..even more so if it is the norm.