News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

sponsor list

Started by f3racer, August 07, 2009, 10:56:45 AM

justintime_3

Very nice article Thanks

Gino230

There sure is some good advice on here. Let me offer my 2 cents.

First, forget about trying to get cash (non contingency) sponsorship from the motorcycle industry. They have too many choices, and unless you are winning every weekend at the top level, there just insn't enough dollars to go around. Those waters are "fished out"!

Corporations and local businesses are your best bet. There are alot of corporate dollars out there (or there was before the economy tanked), and since they don't know much about racing, it's your job to educate them. I got corporate sponsorship from an airline by showing them the demographics of the sport and how much attention there was from their potential customers.

I used to have a girlfriend who was in Public Relations and event planning. You would be surprised how easy it was to get $50 Grand to sponsor an event for 750 people. It's all about developing and managing relationships. And showing your potential sponsor that they will benefit from having thier name / product associated with the sport. And then you have to sell yourself as thier best ambassador to that sport. Nobody said this was easy.....

The way to start out is by asking for free product to promote. Airline tickets, cases of vitamin water, etc. This worked for me and helped me to build a reputation. You have to build relationships with the sponsors and thier customers. This is the lowest cost way for a sponsor to get you- by writing off a few of thier products. Cash has to come off the bottom line. My first "deals" were from businesses that I supported helping me out. I helped promote thier business and they helped me out with parts and service. Sure, that seems like alot of work for not much return, but you are building relationships and that is the key. At our level, you simply don't have enough to offer a potential sponsor in the way of media exposure to justify it any other way.

It is alot of work, and can be discouraging. I spent alot of time promoting my corporate sponsor only to lose them when oil hit $140 a barrel, but that's the brakes, I guess.

What you are trying to do is commendable. If everyone put as much energy into this sport off track as you are doing, motorcycle racing would be much more popular and better supported. We are the best ambassadors to our sport- get out there and promote!

Best of luck!

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

f3racer

Quote from: Gino230 on August 18, 2009, 01:32:41 PM

What you are trying to do is commendable. If everyone put as much energy into this sport off track as you are doing, motorcycle racing would be much more popular and better supported. We are the best ambassadors to our sport- get out there and promote!

Best of luck!

thanks,
im going to do my best to promote and serve the sport the way i promote and serve my country.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

roadracer162

Gino, Can I use your girlfriend too? For promotions that is...
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.