Repacking your muffler questions...

Started by gntbldr, August 03, 2009, 06:04:56 PM

gntbldr

Is it a waste of time/$ ?
What are the benefits?

Ducmarc

it depends how poor you are and if you a coring a stock pipe or if its aftermarket  I repack all mine . it's a pain in the ass like sewing up  my socks or gluing my boots back together. I'm sure most exhaust companies will repack them but since mine come from the old country I've been afraid to find out . the shootout bikes in fla get paid extra to run straight pipes and only seems to slow down the duc's mine seems to like the repacking   marc

gntbldr

Thanks Marc.

I'm running a full Arrow with a carbon can and the can has some discoloration in the hidden spots. Kinda has me thinking the carbon build up is acting like a conductor/heatsink.

Wasn't sure if there were any plausible benefits besides noise reduction and heat transfering properties when it comes to worn out packing.

Tdub

The core of the can is an extension of the pipe, and is included in the "tuned" length of the pipe. Blown out packing negates this and you will lose power. Repack it and be happy! JMO Tdub

gntbldr

I had thought about that too, as in the can probably acts like an expansion chamber of sorts.

Grabbed some rivets from work now all I need is to get some packing. 
Any recommendations for what brand to use and whatnot?

roadracer162

James,

I say repack based on my recent experience. It may also be too late for the carbon fiber. I bought a fancy shmancy GPR exhaust for the little Duc. Two or so race weekends I noticed discoloration and the heat resistant sticker kinda melting. Third weekend even more trouble, the dang slip-on slips off. Do a little fix-it but I didn't repack, not knowing that was the cause. Following weekend the darn carbon fiber has a big hole in it and big loss of power.

The fix: Al at MotoCorse does his magic and mate the remus Ti cans over the shortened GPR pipes, replaced the packing and buttoned it all up. Also found that the other side was doing the same thing getting ready to burn a hole through. I believe LeoVince' uses a stainless liner within their carbon cans, but the GPR did not. Repack often.

End result: With the shortened cans it seems as though there may be more power. I am now able to pull on my competition down the straights where before I was not.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

gntbldr

Thanks for the reply Mark. I was considering shortening the can depending on viewing it's construction after I disassemble it. Hopefully it's still salvageable.

roadracer162

The heat and sun seems to make it very brittle.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Ducmarc

Remus should be able to supply a new tube if you need one seems the packing insulates the carbon i crashed mine pretty bad and had gito at carbon tech patch them . mark's kinda disintegrated. I've had mine get pretty hot like mark said melting the stickers then repacked them and are OK . now i kinda watch them after marc comes back in. but did not have any warning with his i think he came in with a small hole which we patched with a coke can for the race then after the race they looked like a pair of exploded cigars. if i ever buy another set their not going to be carbon

matd

If the core doesn't already have it, wrap it tight, once or twice around, with stainless window screen and safety wire it in place.  It will make your packing last much longer and gives the exhaust a more defined path.
Matthew Careful Dorn
WERA 401n

f3racer

how many miles before you should repack? ive noticed a definitve raspy difference in my exhaust from 17k miles ago.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

f3racer

just called 2bros and they told me every 6k miles for the carbon fiber slip on.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823