News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Motor Update

Started by MightyDuc Racing, April 02, 2003, 12:51:02 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Well...at least I'm thorough.  Bent crank, cracked cases, destroyed tranny, bent both rods, destroyed both cylinders....completely shot and unrebuildable.  So guess what...I'm getting a new motor.     :'( Should have it by the middle of next week and start putting the bike back together and seeing what I can salvage as spares on the old motor.  I love racing! :-/
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

TZDeSioux

holy moly.. you really blew that sucker up eh? I feel for you... maybe you should buy a Jap bike  ;D

MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

So do you know exactly what happen to cause all this? Sounds like it was more than just a broke piston, alot more. :( How in the heck did the crank bend and the cases break? ??? Did they give you any explanation? That all really sucks.

MightyDuc Racing

There's so much damage, even they don't know exactly what went first.  Looked like it either dropped an exhaust valve, the piston failed, or maybe I picked up a small rock (no sign of one, though) in the gravel at the previous round at Homestead.  There is so much damage because the piston was in a million pieces and metal just started shredding the internals. And don't forget that it let go near the top end of a long straight, so I'm sure it made a lot of strokes with metal in it.  The tranny is fried because of all the aluminum that went through it.  Oh well...shit happens, right?  I just wish I could get it back by this weekend and throw it together in time for Jennings this weekend.  Gonna be a LONG wait until May 3-4.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

Sounds to me like it dropped a valve, those pesky little half rings dont hold up well with those high lift cams, I found 1 that was in pieces, but still holding, on my F1 while I was fixing a split valve seal. I got lucky, my cams are NCR 7s and they are hard on my valve train as well. If I were you I would go with a lower lift, longer duration cams on your new motor. Maybe BCM could recomend something from V-two. 8)

MightyDuc Racing

Actually...the motor's already completely done.  I'm gonna ask them for a complete list of everything it has.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for all the advice!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MightyDuc Racing

Got the list of internals on the new motor.  It left New Hampshire today, so hopefully I'll have it by Wednesday.  I hear it has a fresh paint job and looks brand new.  The old motor will be returning later in several smaller boxes...lol.

http://mightyducracing.com/bikes.html
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

unforgivenracing

It is a Jap bike wantabe...only the wrong brand ::)
Quoteholy moly.. you really blew that sucker up eh? I feel for you... maybe you should buy a Jap bike  ;D
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

unforgivenracing

HONDA  8)

SEE THE LIGHT ;)

RIDE RED :D

HONDA, HONDA, HONDA ;D
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

MightyDuc Racing

I drive an Acura, does that make you happy?

;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

If his new motor is closer to stock that Duc should be very reliable. :PThey start blowing up when you put all the race cams, hi comp pistons etc in them as he found out. For club racing at the beginner level he is at, a stock motor with maybe larger valves and a mild port job with the FCR carbs and race exaust is all you need, all the other race stuff is just overkill on a moter that cant take the extra stress. However, I do agree a Jap bike(SV650 for the class he is running) will cause many less headaches in the long run. If you guys have been keeping tabs on this bike you will know he has had nothing but trouble with it from the start, sticking throttle, brake problems, blown motor, all this can kill your confidence in the bike. If he is really serious about racing, which it seem he is, he needs to take a look at whats keeping him on this Duc, its just emotion and love for the bike. This is a bad thing for the wallet and trophies as the wise thing would be to buy a less tempermantal bike. I learned a long time ago when you are semi serious about racing your bike is nothing more than a tool to help you win and you cant fall in love with it or you will get your heart broken when you crash or blow a motor. Then you will spend a boat load of cash trying to save it when you should really put it out to pasture. I love my Ducatis too and that is why I still want to race a Jap v-twin, I just love those twins. I would give his bike one last chance, if the brakes lock up and put him on his butt, or the throttle sticks and he crashes I would be looking for something else to race. ;)